best canadian national team all time

Javier

i am a big fan of the canadian team, i am a supporter since 1986, and i followed the team with the playoffs- vs australia in 1993 as well, i have seen your team for almost 20 years saw i would like to know which team is the best of canadian history

i will forward in my opnion the best canadian soccer team in history

forrest

aunger ian bridge de vos yallop

de guzman hargreaves hutchinson de guzman

radzinski bunbury

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Um, no Whoregreaves on the list please. Let's keep it to players who actually felt enough pride in their country to pull on the Canadian jersey instead of a foreign country's.

Let's take away the other JDG of that squad as well.

quote:Originally posted by Javier

i am a big fan of the canadian team, i am a supporter since 1986, and i followed the team with the playoffs- vs australia in 1993 as well, i have seen your team for almost 20 years saw i would like to know which team is the best of canadian history

i will forward in my opnion the best canadian soccer team in history

forrest

aunger ian bridge de vos yallop

de guzman hargreaves hutchinson de guzman

radzinski bunbury

Gotta agree with everyone else. Remove the two non-Canadians from the list.

Also, while I always defended Aunger when he was being unmercifully slagged here, there is no way he ranks ahead of either Bruce Wilson or Bobby Lenarduzzi.

quote:Originally posted by Javier

who is jeffy ?

I think he means Aunger. I also don't know why he is on there, i think he is one of the worst every players for Canada.

Also, if you are going to include Hargreaves and Jono DeGuzman you may as well include John Van't Schip.

Bunbury and Radzinski are good choices in my opinion but Randy Samuel definitely needs to be on defence and in midfield possibly Aguiar (an important starter with Benfica in his prime).

so which team is the best of all time for you people?

by the way i am talking of the ones that i saw and was not impressed by wilson nor lenarduzzi at wc, a valentine guy played well and of course bridge, i put de vos ahead of samuel, because he is a leader, can bring some scoring. regarding AUNGER i was very impressed when i saw him playing at mls, great RIGHT BACK, i am speaking with my argie taste of short passing football, and i did not know that aunger was underperforming at national level

Javier

I like this topic. Its a fun one that will inevitably spark a ton of debate.

I'd love to hear John TV's assessment because he's got a good grasp of Canadian soccer history and might be able to fill us in on some pre-1960's players that are worthy of consideration.

here's my starting 11, including a group of 5 guys who would back up the first team (please note that some guys might be listed slightly out of position)

---------------Craig Forrest----------------------

Bob Iarusci-Jason DeVos-Bruce Wilson-Randy Samuel

---------------Julian DeGuzman-------------------

Les Wilson--------Atiba Hutchinson-------- Dwayne DeRosario

--------Tomasz Radzinski ------ Alex Bunbury -----------

On the Bench:

Paul Dolan

Dale Mitchell

Paul Staltieri

Tam Nsaliwa

Branko Segota

I'd love to see other people's dream lineup.

FOT the players that i saw playing

i will stick to my 1 st line up

forrest

geoff aunger--- ian bridge---- de vos---- yallop

aguiar imhoff

de guzman hutchinson

radzinski bunbury

12-hirschfeld

13-randy samuel

14- stalteri

15-dasovic

16-de rosario

17-peschisolido

18-kuklowski

Any team without Wilson (Concacaf All XI) and the Duze is incorrect. In fact, take the 86 WCers and add DeVos and the defense is set.

Regardless of how newcomers now perceive Dale and the Duze, back in the day, they were great players. The Branko Segota pick showed perception but having Hutch and definitely Nsaliwa among the all time greats is premature.

Saw Dasovic mentioned and I don't think he's received his due as a player. Pesch and Corrazin had good careers with the latter's perception clouded, to many, by a poor final WC appearance.

While I wouldn't include Aunger, he had a pretty good career, again overshadowed by being one of the Vs favourite "whipping boys" who could do no right.

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

Any team without Wilson (Concacaf All XI) and the Duze is incorrect. In fact, take the 86 WCers and add DeVos and the defense is set.

Regardless of how newcomers now perceive Dale and the Duze, back in the day, they were great players. The Branko Segota pick showed perception but having Hutch and definitely Nsaliwa among the all time greats is premature.

Saw Dasovic mentioned and I don't think he's received his due as a player. Pesch and Corrazin had good careers with the latter's perception clouded, to many, by a poor final WC appearance.

While I wouldn't include Aunger, he had a pretty good career, again overshadowed by being one of the Vs favourite "whipping boys" who could do no right.

I agree with most of your thoughts, except the last one about Aunger. His best professional season (or maybe two) at a relatively high level was as a utility guy for DC United ("Set Aunger on kill!" was a favourite chant from their fans). As a starter for our MNT I thought he was quite ineffective and looked somewhat second rate at the best of times so I don't feel unjustified in my assessment, but I guess we'll agree to disagree.

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

I put Wilson in my roster because it is impossible to leave him out. At a time when Canada had to survive by not allowing any/many goals, Wilson was outstanding.

I left Duze off my list of 16 players but if I expanded it to 18 players, Duze would have been on the list but I don't rate him as a starter. Definitely not ahead of Iarusci, who I believe was a better player

Hutchison might be one of the most talented Canadian players of the last 30 years, even though he rarely seems to be put in a position to shine when playing for the NT.

Nsaliwa is just one of my personal favorites. I've always enjoyed his game and he is such a versatile player.

Archived