National Team realesed a shameful selection

Javier

Definitly not the best roster we've seen called, but given the circumstances I'm not all that suprised, althought I didn't expect it to be quite this bad. One thing i can say is mitchell's 18-man roster selections have not really been what has bothered me.

There are, however a couple of positives:

David Edgar

Dakovic

Will Johnson

I hope all 3 of these guys get the start, or at least see a lot of action.

Don't get me wrong its not the strongest roster but I'm sure many of our 1st choice players either wanted to focus on thir club now that we're eliminated (such as wagenaar) or do not want to play for michell (such as friend and likely others)

So to make a long story short, i still want mitchell sacked, but in the circumstances im not suprised by this roster.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if I were Mitchell:

------------Begovic---------------

----------------------------------

Stalteri---Edgar-Hainault---De Jong

-------------Grande---------------

Ornoch--Johnson--Ledgerwood--Nakajima-Farran

-------------Gbeke----------------

bench

Jakovic

Jackson

Harmse

Pozniak

Cann

Hirschfeld

Williams

will be interesting to see how Dale will start this inexperienced/mediocre squad.

quote:Originally posted by Javier

for a canadian national team that i am , this is the worst team that canada can peak, specially with forwards..... i hope this IS MITCHELL`S LAST GAME IN CHARGE

regards

Javier

So far, Canada has scored in every match of this FIFA World Cup™ Qualifiers campaign, a first in Association history. Canada’s current goal-scoring string extends back nine games, one off the Association record set in 1980 (started by coach Eckhard Krautzun in 1976 and continued by coach Barrie Clarke in 1980) and matched in 1985 (by coach Tony Waiters).

Canada arrives in Jamaica this Sunday and begins training on Monday 17 November. The Wednesday night match kicks off at 20.00 ET (17.00 PT).

Of note, Will Johnson's participation depends on the success of his club's 15 November semi-final match in the Major League Soccer playoffs. Johnson and Real Salt Lake kick off at 21.30 ET on Saturday night against New York Red Bulls in Salt Lake. Should Real Salt Lake win, Johnson will miss the Canadian match and travel to Carson, CA for next weekend's 2008 MLS Cup (to face either the Chicago Fire or Columbus Crew).

Also, Iain Hume had been selected to the squad before suffering a skull fracture in a Barnsley-Sheffield derby last Saturday in England. Coach Mitchell and the team have been in contact with Hume and his family and wish him a speedy recovery. Patrice Bernier, Julian de Guzman and Adrian Serioux were all unavailable due to injuries while Michael Klukowski and Tomasz Radzinski were unavailable due to suspensions.

CANADA

Asmir Begovic | G | Edmonton, AB | ENG / Portsmouth

Lars Hirschfeld | G | Edmonton, AB | ROM / CFR Cluj

Adrian Cann | D | Thornhill, ON | DEN / Esbjerg fB

Marcel de Jong | D/M | Newmarket, ON | NED / Roda JC

David Edgar | D | Kitchener, ON | ENG / Newcastle United FC

Charles Gbeke | F | Montréal, QC | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Sandro Grande | M | Montréal, QC | CAN / Impact de Montréal

André Hainault | D | Hudson, QC | CZE / FK SIAD Most

Kevin Harmse | D | Vancouver, BC | CAN / Toronto FC

Simeon Jackson | M | Mississauga, ON | ENG / Gillingham FC

Dejan Jakovic | D | Etobicoke, ON | CRO / Red Star Belgrade

Will Johnson | M/F | Toronto, ON | USA / Real Salt Lake

Nik Ledgerwood | M | Lethbridge, AB | GER / TSV 1860 München

Issey Nakajima-Farran | M | Calgary, AB | DEN / FC Nordsjælland

Andrzej Ornoch | M/F | Scarborough, ON | DEN / Esbjerg Fb

Chris Pozniak | D/M | Aurora, ON | SCO / Dundee FC

Paul Stalteri | D/M | Brampton, ON | ENG / Tottenham Hotspur

Chris Williams | M | Toronto, ON | USA / Charleston Battery

so dejan jakovic is a croatian playing for red star belgrade.

i find that a little hard to believe

quote:Originally posted by snake

so dejan jakovic is a croatian playing for red star belgrade.

i find that a little hard to believe

no, the CSA is just displaying its vast knowledge of world geography. obviously they think Belgrade is in Croatia!

Or maybe they think its all still one big country over there, who knows.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Jokovic actually isnt playing much....in fact there is some talk the situation with his club isn't the greatest and he might be looking for a move.

According to his wikipedia page he was a regular starter for Belgrade until the club made a coaching change. The new coach hasn't seen fit to give him a single minute of playing time, so yeah, I can see why Jakovic might want to move elsewhere now.

quote:Originally posted by Javier

this team is an insult for all the canadians true fans, no forwards in the team at all

This game is essentially a friendly. A friendly match that is four years away from the next WCQ match that will count for something.

Even I wont be busting my butt to see or follow this game. I dont see what all the fuzz is all about.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Tonka

I don't agree with this at all! Sure its a young team but our more senior players would prefer to stay with their established club teams. Most if not all have stated this. Friend definately. The most surprising omission for me is Ali Gerba.

Not sure what point you think Mitchell would be making here?? Other than proving himself even more incapable.

You are being incredible unreasonable accusing the Canadians of showing poor sportsmanship. Consider our opponents and the "Sportsmanship" they show to us before you throw around accusations as serious as these. Shame.

Obviously I am exagerrating, but you can't honestly tell me that this call up is designed to take points away from Jamaica on the 19th. And if that is not the case, if it is so obviously experimental, we are altering the conditions of the competition.

That is my only concern, that it could appear that we have taken the the game lightly and that we are not going to even try to get points. Because the other three teams are all vying for a spot in the HEX, and if Jamaica scores a lot against us that could be the difference between either Honduras or even Mexico going out.

It surprises me to see some of you surprised at the selections. Canada's A squad would definetly not take the pitch in this game, as alot of them play on club teams that would rather see them sit out a pointless game where injury is a possibility.

I'm glad to see Edgar finally get a call from the NT, this man is a big part of our future on the back end. Also nice to see was Sandro Grande being given a call, he's really been an instrumental part of the Impact's success this past season. Hopefully his ankles survive the game;)

How can any of you honestly be surprised by the selections here?????

I also am very excited to Begovic, Jakovic, Ornoch, Davids all getting calls. Despite they being "replacements" for lack of a better term - we should field them and go from here. The better discussion might be to compare these selections to the ones Jamaica used under Simoes??? I truly hope Begovic gets the start ahead of Hirsch simply for experience-sake.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

I truly hope Begovic gets the start ahead of Hirsch simply for experience-sake.

That would be the best case scenario but I doubt Lars is making the trip from Romania without the insurance that he will start. Same can be said for Stally.

quote:Originally posted by Start fan in exile

I'm curious: Olivier Occéan and Stephen Ademolu are both done with the season in Norway, but should still be pretty close to game shape. Why would they not have been called? Have they also had a falling out with the coach? Asked to be excused?

Ademolu hasn't been on the national team radar for some time. Not sure why Occean wasn't called however.

Wow. This is going to be hard to watch. Ornoch and Jackson up front. Johnson if he shows and Issey on the wings. Grande and either Jankovic or Ledgerwood in the middle. Edgar and Hainault at the center of defence with Stalteri and DeJong at wingback. Lars in net. Begovic is cap tied if he is 20 or older. I don't know what to say. Could be very ugly. How old is Chris Williams?

I am glad to see Edgar and Begovic on the team but really this is an embarrassment. Besides Hirsh and Stalteri we have ZERO</u> starters. Friend gone, Ali g gone, De ro won't play, De Guzman is hurt, Where is Hutch? Radz has retired, Hume injured, Serioux injured, Brennan quit, Klukowski suspended, McKenna gone, Occean MIA. This line up looks like our "C" team let alone our "B" team.

quote:Originally posted by hottoddy7

Wow. This is going to be hard to watch. Ornoch and Jackson up front. Johnson if he shows and Issey on the wings. Grande and either Jankovic or Ledgerwood in the middle. Edgar and Hainault at the center of defence with Stalteri and DeJong at wingback. Lars in net. Begovic is cap tied if he is 20 or older. I don't know what to say. Could be very ugly. How old is Chris Williams?

Is that any worse than a midfield of Stalteri, Harmse, Pozniak, and Bernier like we saw against Mexico? The fact is, those players played well. I agree we're thin up front, missing performers that actually showed something this WCQ (Gerba, Radz), but I don't count missing De Rosario or De Guzman or Hutchinson as important as I might had they all played better in the earlier matches.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

Although I'm happy for the younger players that are getting a call-up, I'm ashamed that we are fielding such a weak and inexperienced team during World Cup Qualifying. Totally unprofessional.

I find it hard to feel ashamed about fielding such a team given how unprofessional and unfair the whole World Cup Qualifying process is in CONCACAF. I think this is exactly what CONCACAF deserves and hopefully some screwed up results will make them revise the system.

Disappointed by the title of this thread. Honestly, what could we expect, between injuries, suspensions, and the ill blood floating around the team these days?

Really, the only disappointment for me is Hutch not there. It would have been nice to have him available and play his more natural attacking role, especially with the lack of punch up front.

I for one am looking forward to seeing some of these players again to see what they might have to offer in the next cycle.

No coverage on Sportsnet, eh? Anyone got a line on live feeds for this?

Archived