National Team realesed a shameful selection

Javier

for a canadian national team that i am , this is the worst team that canada can peak, specially with forwards..... i hope this IS MITCHELL`S LAST GAME IN CHARGE

regards

Javier

So far, Canada has scored in every match of this FIFA World Cup™ Qualifiers campaign, a first in Association history. Canada’s current goal-scoring string extends back nine games, one off the Association record set in 1980 (started by coach Eckhard Krautzun in 1976 and continued by coach Barrie Clarke in 1980) and matched in 1985 (by coach Tony Waiters).

Canada arrives in Jamaica this Sunday and begins training on Monday 17 November. The Wednesday night match kicks off at 20.00 ET (17.00 PT).

Of note, Will Johnson's participation depends on the success of his club's 15 November semi-final match in the Major League Soccer playoffs. Johnson and Real Salt Lake kick off at 21.30 ET on Saturday night against New York Red Bulls in Salt Lake. Should Real Salt Lake win, Johnson will miss the Canadian match and travel to Carson, CA for next weekend's 2008 MLS Cup (to face either the Chicago Fire or Columbus Crew).

Also, Iain Hume had been selected to the squad before suffering a skull fracture in a Barnsley-Sheffield derby last Saturday in England. Coach Mitchell and the team have been in contact with Hume and his family and wish him a speedy recovery. Patrice Bernier, Julian de Guzman and Adrian Serioux were all unavailable due to injuries while Michael Klukowski and Tomasz Radzinski were unavailable due to suspensions.

CANADA

Asmir Begovic | G | Edmonton, AB | ENG / Portsmouth

Lars Hirschfeld | G | Edmonton, AB | ROM / CFR Cluj

Adrian Cann | D | Thornhill, ON | DEN / Esbjerg fB

Marcel de Jong | D/M | Newmarket, ON | NED / Roda JC

David Edgar | D | Kitchener, ON | ENG / Newcastle United FC

Charles Gbeke | F | Montréal, QC | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Sandro Grande | M | Montréal, QC | CAN / Impact de Montréal

André Hainault | D | Hudson, QC | CZE / FK SIAD Most

Kevin Harmse | D | Vancouver, BC | CAN / Toronto FC

Simeon Jackson | M | Mississauga, ON | ENG / Gillingham FC

Dejan Jakovic | D | Etobicoke, ON | CRO / Red Star Belgrade

Will Johnson | M/F | Toronto, ON | USA / Real Salt Lake

Nik Ledgerwood | M | Lethbridge, AB | GER / TSV 1860 München

Issey Nakajima-Farran | M | Calgary, AB | DEN / FC Nordsjælland

Andrzej Ornoch | M/F | Scarborough, ON | DEN / Esbjerg Fb

Chris Pozniak | D/M | Aurora, ON | SCO / Dundee FC

Paul Stalteri | D/M | Brampton, ON | ENG / Tottenham Hotspur

Chris Williams | M | Toronto, ON | USA / Charleston Battery

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.

So basically we are going to throw the match so Mitchell can make a point and Jamaica can go through as we like them more than Honduras?

An exemplary display of fair play, Mitchell and CSA.

Leaving aside those for whom an excuse is given, there is still Sutton, McKenna, Hastings, Hutchinson, Friend and Gerba missing. Most of these guys would still be part of 2014 Qualifying pool, this team is broken and I don't think a case can be made that Mitchell is the one to fix it.

quote:Originally posted by Javier

this team is an insult for all the canadians true fans, no forwards in the team at all

Ornoch is a pure goal scorer.....I just he gets to play in this game and gets put in a position to show his abilities.

quote:Originally posted by snake

where is jaime peters?

Is he even playing these days? I hear nothing about him.

Frankly, right now, all the guys selected for this side are more prepared to represent Canada than Jamie, even Chris Williams (who played quite well for Charleston this year, IMO).

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

So basically we are going to throw the match so Mitchell can make a point and Jamaica can go through as we like them more than Honduras?

How do you know if the players in question would play for Mitchell?

It's one thing to hate and blame the CSA, but if McKenna,

DDR, JDG, Brennan, Rad and Onstad WON'T play ...

Accusing them of throwing a game is an insult to those that

show up, like Stalteri, de Jong, Jacovic, Issey, etc.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I don't agree with this at all! Sure its a young team but our more senior players would prefer to stay with their established club teams. Most if not all have stated this. Friend definately. The most surprising omission for me is Ali Gerba.

Not sure what point you think Mitchell would be making here?? Other than proving himself even more incapable.

You are being incredible unreasonable accusing the Canadians of showing poor sportsmanship. Consider our opponents and the "Sportsmanship" they show to us before you throw around accusations as serious as these. Shame.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Ornoch is a pure goal scorer.....I just he gets to play in this game and gets put in a position to show his abilities.

While looking pretty good skill wise in the U-23 tournament last March, Ornoch didn't score despite having a lot of opportunities. So far, except for the Danish reserves league Ornoch hasn't prove that he is a goalscorer at a high level.

Maybe Mitchell will wear his cleats and play forward to show the rest of the guys how it is done. This team selection is once again a clear indication the man is a complete moron. And here do we sit debating whether we should get organized to affect change or keep bitching the way we have been for the last 9 years.

As strange as it sounds, I'm actually looking forward to the match! I just hope Mitchell plays the young guys like Edgar and Ornoch! Let's see what they can do in a real competetive match in a hostile environment! I could be proven dead wrong but IMO they could surprise us, we'll see!

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Maybe Mitchell will wear his cleats and play forward to show the rest of the guys how it is done. This team selection is once again a clear indication the man is a complete moron. And here do we sit debating whether we should get organized to affect change or keep bitching the way we have been for the last 9 years.

Team selection hasn't really been a problem in our first 5 games. None of our most improtant players were ignored.

This roster was expected and the problem seems to originate with our players not wanting to play this meaningless game and risking their club situation. The only older guys who are showing up like Lars and Paul are guys who's aren't even on the bench for their clubs at the moment.

I don't think we can fault Mitchell for team selection in the first 5 matches, for the most part I agree with him, it was the way he used the players he selected and to a certain extent, the poor performances of the players selected! As much as I want Canada to win this match, can you imagine the reaction of the CSA brass if we pull off an upset at the office? They'd be singing the praises of Mitchell and offer him a contract extension! As far as us not trying, or fixing the match, that's just BS, it's not the Canadian way! We owe none of these CONCACAF nations any favours, they certainly don't or wouldn't do us any!

quote:Originally posted by loyola

While looking pretty good skill wise in the U-23 tournament last March, Ornoch didn't score despite having a lot of opportunities. So far, except for the Danish reserves league Ornoch hasn't prove that he is a goalscorer at a high level.

I can't argue with you but let's just say I have a lot of faith in his ability to score, especially if he's played in a position that he's comfortable....BTW, he scored again for the reserves on the weekend (that's 9 goals in 6 games)

Pretty crappy roster indeed, but let's pretend we are looking forward to the next cycle while at the same time not getting thrashed by Jamaica.

The lack of pure strikers is a real issue. Let's cap some guys and score some goals. Ler's ruin their homecoming like they ruined ours at BMO!

I would like to see Jakovic play. If he's played at Red Star at such a young age it's fair to assume he's got a better future for us than Cann, Harmse or Poz.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Team selection hasn't really been a problem in our first 5 games. None of our most improtant players were ignored.

This roster was expected and the problem seems to originate with our players not wanting to play this meaningless game and risking their club situation. The only older guys who are showing up like Lars and Paul are guys who's aren't even on the bench for their clubs at the moment.

exactly my thoughts...what kind of roster were people expecting to see?? we knew the main core weren't going to come for one reason or another - we will have a chance to see some young guys in action in an otherwise meaningless game from our point of view...where's the beef?

i actually was in favour of fielding this kind of team for the Mexico game as well - 5-0 slughter or not

quote:Originally posted by ken

Leaving aside those for whom an excuse is given, there is still Sutton, McKenna, Hastings, Hutchinson, Friend and Gerba missing. Most of these guys would still be part of 2014 Qualifying pool, this team is broken and I don't think a case can be made that Mitchell is the one to fix it.

Well not calling Hastings for this match doesn't bother me in the slightest. I doubt he'll still be around for this team as a 35 year old when the next World Cup campaign begins. We already know the situation with Friend, and as for Gerba, I'm assuming his 3rd tier English club is playing the weekend before & after, so I'd doubt he'd want to travel back across the Atlantic for a pointless game in the middle. Sutton meanwhile doesn't seem to want to get called if he knows he's going to be the back-up to Lars. That leaves McKenna & Hutchinson, so it will be interesting to know if they are taking the Friend "break" from the nats or simply don't want the travel for a meaningless game.

Really though, none of the above absences are a surprise to me. I'm actually surprised that Hume was going to make the trip prior to his injury because there were posters here claiming that he was also at serious odds with Mitchell.

quote:Originally posted by Tyson M

I would like to see Jakovic play. If he's played at Red Star at such a young age it's fair to assume he's got a better future for us than Cann, Harmse or Poz.

Jokovic actually isnt playing much....in fact there is some talk the situation with his club isn't the greatest and he might be looking for a move.

having said that, he certainly has upside and just needs to settle in somewhere where he's given the opportunity to develop.

Archived