MLS playoffs

Alberto7

Playoffs are at the semi-final stage. Columbus beat Chicago 2-1 yesterday to advance to their first MLS Cup final. They will meet the winner of New York vs Real Salt Lake who will play their semi-final Saturday. All three remaining teams have never won the MLS Cup, so we will have a first-time champion.

The final(at the Home Depot Centre) is set for Nov. 23 at 3:30 PM ET live on ABC

quote:Originally posted by Alberto7

No, only the quarter finals were two legs. Semi-finals are single game affairs.

I know I said this last year but I will say it again...why? This makes no sense. Either have 2-leg ties or single games with the higher seed hosting. Why change it in between? I have not seen an answer for this.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Yet another reason for MLS to go to the single-table, top-of-table-wins-at-the-end system: If New York won today, they would have been the first team with a losing record to be MLS champions. They were the third team with a losing record in the final.

Pathetic.

Ah but the playoffs are a format that North American sport audiences are used to. I'm glad the best regular season team won.

Without relegation there is nothing to play for and half the teams wouldn't have anything. The MLS panders to the NA sports fan so they will do things the same way that all the other sports do. Keep it as interesting as possible for as many as possible as long as possible.

I don't see it ever changing.

quote:Originally posted by masster

I know I said this last year but I will say it again...why? This makes no sense. Either have 2-leg ties or single games with the higher seed hosting. Why change it in between? I have not seen an answer for this.

They switch to single game semi finals because the MLS calls them "Conference Championships". Hence they are one game championship matches. Silly but true.

Archived