Canada announces U-17 roster for Mexico camp

loyola

quote:Originally posted by L.T.

I'll start by saying I'm not one of those guys that thinks there is a secret team of unselected players at every level that can beat those in various national teams. I'm speaking strictly in percentages and when I see that virtually the entire domestic contingent is NTC-based (remember, the TFC academy players all came from the Ontario NTC & provincial programs), I think the system may be overlooking players.

As for names, well an Ontario Academy (ANB) went to France last year and had 2 92's invited back (Damir Rosic and another I am not at liberty to name). Damir was actually signed to a youth contract with LeHavre which has been tied up in immigration issues. Contrast that with the fact that Mr. Tobo brought his provincial team on the same trip a few months later and NO players received any follow up interest. (confirmed by one of the Staff coaches at Le Havre)

LT....what about the Bryst keeper Max Materne? I know he was sought after by some clubs in Brazil and I heard some good things about him. I think he is 16 (but may be 17 now and might be too old....not sure)

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I thought that the youth academies would form the corner stone of youth teams and that that was the only way to move ahead as soccer nation. Since this is the area that distinguishes canada from the rest of the world, in a negative way of course.

I always wonder when I scan through these sort of rosters whether they have some sort of unwritten quota system in place to balance out the regions so none of the NTC coaches wind up looking bad.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

So now that we have club pro youth academies with TFC and Whitecaps, I thought that that would form the core and building blocks of such teams as the U17 and U20's. But as we see, only seven players, by my count, from the pro academies make up the squad. I was expecting much more to be honnest.

I didnt see the latest U20 callups that are listed in another thread, prior to commenting that there should have been more. The combined total callups from TFC and Whitecaps academy looks a little better now if you fact in both squads ( U20 and U17).

Caolan Laverys' pal Graham Fisher is also a '92 (i think) and he just had a training stint with Real Madrid...i wonder if Kyle Silva of Sporting Lisbon turned down an invite?

ya know what? I'll contact Richard Scott and ask him to ask Sean Fleming...

• 2 weeks later...

Canada wins 2:0 over Tecos

Canada's men's U-17 team won its first match in Mexico this week, defeating Tecos on Monday morning by a score of 2:0. Karl Ouimette and Allando Matheson scored for Canada, one goal in each half, at the Univesidad De La Guadalajara in Mexico.

"It was a good start for the boys," said coach Sean Fleming. "They restricted any real attacking chances, which was good to see. The heat posed a real challenge, but credit to the players for their perseverance."

While Canada dominated the early play, it had to wait until the 38th minute before finding the back of the net. The team's deserved breakthrough came in the 38th minute after another Russell Teibert corner. This time, Teibert of Niagara Falls, ON found Ouimette's head high above the opposition for a 1-0 Canadian lead.

Ouimette should have opened the scoring 35 minutes earlier on a similar play. On that first chance, however, Ouimette volleyed the ball just wide of the target. Moments later, Abdoulaye Sylla and Jason James also created good scoring chances, but the game remained tied.

In the second half, it didn't take long before Canada doubled its lead. Hugo Lapointe-Sénécal started the play by clearing Canada's zone off a Tecos' corner kick. Matheson of Toronto won his challenge against the Mexican defender and stepped in to fire a curling shot into the top corner of the net.

With the Canucks up 2-0, the Tecos changed its lineup and renewed its efforts against Canada. The Canadian back four, however, was up to the task and kept its opposition at bay. Goalkeeper Dominic Provost faced seven shots and stopped both that were directed on target. His counterpart faced seven Canadian shots, five of which were on target.

Canada, whose title sponsor is BMO Financial Group, faces Atlas this Wednesday 26 November. The camp will continue with at least two more exhibition matches against local Mexican clubs.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/tourney/FIFA_WC/game_profile.asp?gameId=1540&sub=2

You have a picture of the starting 11 and the game events:

Game Events

Minute Event

01 Canadian player Dominic Provost entered the game.

01 Canadian player Hugo Lapointe-Sénécal entered the game.

01 Canadian player Ezequiel Lubocki entered the game.

01 Canadian player Derrick Bassi entered the game.

01 Canadian player Karl Ouimette entered the game.

01 Canadian player Jason James entered the game.

01 Canadian player Russell Teibert entered the game.

01 Canadian player Kevin Cobby entered the game.

01 Canadian player Brennan McNicoll entered the game.

01 Canadian player Allando Matheson entered the game.

01 Canadian player Abdoulaye Sylla entered the game.

30 Canadian player Kevin Cobby was cautioned.

38 Goal scored by canadian player Karl Ouimette.

55 Goal scored by canadian player Allando Matheson.

69 Canadian player Abdoulaye Sylla left the field.

69 Canadian player Jordan Ongaro entered the game.

79 Canadian player Allando Matheson left the field.

79 Canadian player Caolan Lavery entered the game.

80 Canadian player Caolan Lavery was cautioned.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

Allando Matheson is going to be good. Can't wait to see more of him play.

I wonder if Ouimette was playing defense as he seemed to be up in the attack a few times judging by the desciption. Wing-back maybe?

It was a 4-4-2, OUimette played as a full back.

Provost

Lapointe-Senecal Lubocki Bassi Ouimette

James Teibert Cobby McNicoll

Matheson Sylla

quote:Originally posted by hottoddy7

Hey jpg75 did you get any info about the missing players? If you haven't asked anyone maybe you could find out about Ethan Gage as well, I know he wasn't eligible for this team but alot of people seem very surprised that he wasn't named to the U-20.

I sent an email a few days ago, just waiting to hear back...

Second game of the tour, a 0-0 draw with Atotonilco Youth.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/tourney/FIFA_WC/game_profile.asp?gameId=1541&sub=2

Category: Exhibition

Score: Canada 0, Atotonilco Youth 0

Game Events

Minute Event

01 Canadian player Garret Cyprus entered the game.

01 Canadian player Zach Shaffelburg entered the game.

01 Canadian player Amine Meftouh entered the game.

01 Canadian player Marco South entered the game.

01 Canadian player Coulton Jackson entered the game.

01 Canadian player Jonathan Lao entered the game.

01 Canadian player James Chalk entered the game.

01 Canadian player Caolan Lavery entered the game.

01 Canadian player Jordan Ongaro entered the game.

67 Canadian player Jonathan Lao was cautioned.

(they don't have the subs for some reason).

Ok, I'm not normally one to complement the CSA but i think the tour of clubs they are using for the U-17 kids deserves some praise. Mexico has a good system and there seem to be plenty of teams to play,

Looks like a vastly different lineup for the second game. Not sure how Atotonilco compares to Tecos, but on a recognition level the later seems to be the bigger challenge.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Second game of the tour, a 0-0 draw with Atotonilco Youth.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/tourney/FIFA_WC/game_profile.asp?gameId=1541#8834;=2

Category: Exhibition

Score: Canada 0, Atotonilco Youth 0

Game Events

Minute Event

01 Canadian player Garret Cyprus entered the game.

01 Canadian player Zach Shaffelburg entered the game.

01 Canadian player Amine Meftouh entered the game.

01 Canadian player Marco South entered the game.

01 Canadian player Coulton Jackson entered the game.

01 Canadian player Jonathan Lao entered the game.

01 Canadian player James Chalk entered the game.

01 Canadian player Caolan Lavery entered the game.

01 Canadian player Jordan Ongaro entered the game.

67 Canadian player Jonathan Lao was cautioned.

(they don't have the subs for some reason).

Looks like a 2-1 loss to me.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/tourney/FIFA_WC/game_profile.asp?gameId=1541⊂=2

No subs listed because there weren't any. Tough loss.

4-1 loss today to Chivas:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/tourney/FIFA_U17WC/game_profile.asp?gameId=1550

"Despite the score line, it was a very encouraging performance after a very demanding camp," said coach Sean Fleming :)

I think that the way the camp was run makes sense. Plenty of quality opposition and games played.

Whether the training and coaching philosophy makes sense, no way to tell until we see them on the field.

Archived