Next season’s CONCACAF Champions League

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

Too bad Portland isn't a Canadian city. That would make one hell of a derby, from what the Vancity boys I met told me.

So why exactly do you guys hate Portland, again?

They are below Seattle! ;) (see a map)

PS. Cascadia Cup Results:

Vancouver = 3, Seattle =2, Portland = ZERO!!! [}:)]

• 3 weeks later...

CONCACAF recently announced the simplified plan for Central American teams. http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.aspx?id=4553

Some good ideas. My issue is with who gets the byes to the group stage. Nothing has changed and part of me didn't think it would. There has to be some future reward for teams that go deep into the tournament. Canada and the Caribbean both has teams in the final 8 and still will have to play preliminary round match ups. On the reverse the USA teams had a very poor performance but will still get 4 overall births, 2 of which will be direct to the group stage. The teams from Guatemala and Coasta Rica had very poor performances also save for maybe Saprissa whose 10 points in another group would have been enough.

Qualifying for this regions Champions League is a long road (teams have been determined for the next edition already) and CONCACAF needs to reassess the strengths of each league and country on a more continuous basis.

Should Canada skip ahead to the group stage over a USA team; hell yea! Should the Caribbean get a 4th spot and take one from Guatemala, hell yea!

Somehow I doubt CONCACAF will take anything away from the US teams, as it is in the US where this tournament needs to gain more recognition and importance. By taking anything away from what they have already given to the MLS sides, they'll only hurt the chances of any growth in the tourney's popularity there. Had TFC made it, I doubt they would have performed as well as the Impact, and followed suit with the other MLS sides (sitting starters to rest them for league games, not focusing as much on the CCL as the league, etc...). I say that for the time being, they should keep things as is, let the tournament grow and mature for a couple of years, then perhaps start playing with who gets direct entry qualification and so forth.

Guest Jeffery S.

I think you can perfectly well let the same system run for a few Concacaf Champions and then begin to apply a coefficient system, like UEFA does. But one version does not set a pattern, it does not mark a tendency. It means nothing, there is no conclusion to draw from it. It is what it is and nothing more.

I mean on this basis you are going to argue in favour of Puerto Rican football, give me a break.

So it cannot be the cause to annul the previously established system. Wait a few years, and if Puerto Rico or Canada continue to go deep in spite of having to play the prelim rounds, then complain.

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

Somehow I doubt CONCACAF will take anything away from the US teams, as it is in the US where this tournament needs to gain more recognition and importance. By taking anything away from what they have already given to the MLS sides, they'll only hurt the chances of any growth in the tourney's popularity there. Had TFC made it, I doubt they would have performed as well as the Impact, and followed suit with the other MLS sides (sitting starters to rest them for league games, not focusing as much on the CCL as the league, etc...). I say that for the time being, they should keep things as is, let the tournament grow and mature for a couple of years, then perhaps start playing with who gets direct entry qualification and so forth.

If (and that is a very big IF :D) TFC made the CCL, I doubt they would sit starters for any of the games. If TFC were to advance in the tournament that would mean a lot more sold out games and revenue which is not the case with the US MLS teams. They would still have the problem of the other MLS teams though in lack of depth and quality as you go down the roster to the lesser starters and subs.

Archived