Hume Hospitalised

JamboAl

After seeing the video, it definitely appeared there was some intent there. I can't imagine anybody would actually be trying to fracture a skull but that shouldn't change the penalty/suspension that goes along with an act like this.

I wish Iain all the best and hope he has a speedy recovery.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Globe and Mail :: Some improvement for Hume

LARRY MILLSON

November 11, 2008 at 10:46 AM EST

Barnsley striker and Canadian international Iain Hume who suffered a fractured skull last Saturday in an English League Championship 2-1 loss to Sheffield United has been moved out of the high dependency unity of a Manchester Hospital after weekend surgery.

During the match, Hume was struck by an elbow from Sheffield United captain Chris Morgan.

“I went to see Iain yesterday evening and he is conscious although he has not slept since the incident and he is not the most talkative,” Barnsley manager Simon Davey said on the club's website on Tuesday. “He is out of the high dependency unit now and they have moved him onto a hospital ward, which is good news, although he has tubes sticking out of his head.

“The operation went well but he is very down and very angry. He has a scar that runs from his forehead in the shape of a horseshoe right round to his ear. He is black and blue, his head is swollen and he is a mess.”

Hume, 25, was born in Edinburgh, Scotland and his hometown is Brampton, Ont. He has 27 senior caps for Canada and has scored two goals.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081111.wspthume1111/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

I think the magnitude of this injury is just starting to set in for me. What an ubelievable tragedy for Hume, and Canadian Soccer.

This is such a freak occurence, the likes of which I can hardly ever recall hearing about in the past. Whether or not it was intentional hardly seems relevant to me right now, the damage is done and what a horrific blow to our program, and spirits.

I have been a tremendous Iain Hume supporter since he blew me away at the 2003 U20's and I can't even conceive of a greater injustice to one of our players.

This is literally an assault on a man's livelihood, his passion and his career. I'm just so gutted for Hume. This has been something that has reached beyond football for me, into the very real realms of a Canadian boy trying to make a go of it abroad.

This really brings me down.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by BarnsleyBigFella

http://www.petitiononline.com/ThugsOut/petition.html

Please show your support.

Cheers lads,

Done. Pretty sickening to think he has not slept, his head is destroyed, and they say he is angry.

Reading the whole incident makes me angry too, and angry at the fools who rant on about diving and the like and are always the first to ignore the real shame of modern football: legalized goons made into heros for being "tough" or playing a "man's game". Time to worry about the real cheaters, the ones who can't tackle cleanly because they are mediocre and threaten the careers of the real talents that make the game worth watching.

Holy hell there is no way that wasn't intentional, the arm movement towards his head is undeniable. That should be a clear suspension, and I hope they take legal action. But most of all, I hope Iain recovers as much as possible, no one should have to deal with what he is probably dealing with right now. Horrific really, just watch that footage again and say there wasn't intent...

Archived