Sebrango back in Montreal !!! & 2 more players in

the biologist

According to CKAC Sports' website AND what I heard on their morning show so far, Sebrango is back with the Impact !!!

http://www.corussports.com/impact/impact_paie_marqueur_naturel-20081107-1267873.html

They also signed striker Fabrice Noël (14 pts, ranked 16th) from PR and MF Stephen DeRoux (4 pts) from Minnesota.

They will replace these 3 MF : Pato Aguilera, Sita-Taty Matondo & Gason Gregory.

It looks VERY good for the QF. [8D]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To replace three non-starters who basically didn't do a lot, sure! Jefferson has skills but walks around disinterestedly. Sebrango is much more intense. Cool...

Edit... the article says Aguilera not Jefferson has been let go with Gregory and Matondo.

quote:Originally posted by Keano

Edit... the article says Aguilera not Jefferson has been let go with Gregory and Matondo.

Yeah, they changed it. When I checked at 6 AM, it was supposed to be Jefferson. I edited my first post accordingly.

So now it looks even better cause I take Jefferson over Aguilera anytime (I never really thought he was useful to the team). It was about time they replace some MF (way too much) for some strikers. Way to go Nick ! [8D]

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

I understand that Mpenza, however, it is essentially the same competition.

Just a question to all, are those who compete in the qualification rounds for the UEFA champions league for one team and then transfer to another team eligible in the Champions League proper in that same campaign?

Allow me to elaborate a little on what Bxl Boy has pointed out quite correctly. You must distinguish between the competitions which qualify a team to enter the UEFA Champions League, that is, the national championship for each country (EPL, Serie A, La Liga, etc.) and the preliminary or qualifying rounds of the Champions League which are part of the competition proper.

So to make the analogy, the Nutrilite Canadian Championship is the equivalent of the EPL or La Liga as it allowed the Impact to qualify for CL. As such, Sebrango never played in the CCL proper and is not cup tied. It's like saying that Ashley Cole wouldn't have been allowed to play for Chelsea in the CL in the year following his transfer from Arsenal. That simply is not the case. Hope that clears it up for you.

Holy C***. I'm not sure how to react to that yet. Great for Montréal, but not so for Vancouver. Sebrango was a huge part of the team this year, aside from scoring most of the goals. On the plus side, if Whitecaps were willing to let him go, they must have something in the works.

quote:Originally posted by Tintin

Holy C***. I'm not sure how to react to that yet. Great for Montréal, but not so for Vancouver. Sebrango was a huge part of the team this year, aside from scoring most of the goals. On the plus side, if Whitecaps were willing to let him go, they must have something in the works.

Yea that is a shocker. I don't see anything on the Caps or Impact sites yet about this. I would love to see ES stay with the Caps. He has been such a big part of them winning so many close games. I know he is getting older but I still think he has several good years left in him.

If he does go back to Montreal again then best wishes and I'll cheer for the Impact even more in their CCL games.

quote:Originally posted by Tintin

This has nothing to do with the Caps being willing to let him go. He was out of contract so he was free to sign wherever he wanted. They only signed him to a one-year contract last year and in the new, improved USL that is probably not going to be enough to keep your best players anymore. Sebrango lives in Ottawa so he probably prefers to be closer to home for what will likely be his last contract.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

This has nothing to do with the Caps being willing to let him go. He was out of contract so he was free to sign wherever he wanted. They only signed him to a one-year contract last year and in the new, improved USL that is probably not going to be enough to keep your best players anymore. Sebrango lives in Ottawa so he probably prefers to be closer to home for what will likely be his last contract.

Does his wife not work for the CSA also ?

I would love to see Eddie sign on to the Ottawa MLS team as an old veteran, once that team begins to be formed.

That does answer my questions guys - BXL Boy, yer a prick by the way. Megas, thanks for the respectful explanation. I didn't actually realize the Canadian Championship was considered a league. Just thought it was a fancy name for the regional qualification portion of the Champions League itself. Slow on my part for not putting 2+2 together!

Good to know! The Caps had better have someone from their youth system or a big signing in the wings to replace Sebrango or they'll struggle next year.

Great signing for Montreal and let's hope he helps with the quarter-finals!

quote:Originally posted by Keano

I noticed on wikipedia Fabrice Noel has a pretty horrific life story. Hopefully this can be a positive experience for him and the Impact. Seems like a talented young player.

Hate to Boast, but I called this one in late July:D

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16656&SearchTerms=fabrice,noel

Here is some info on Stephen DeRoux, another player who looked dangerous everytime he faced the Impact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_deRoux

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

That's insane about Noel. Has he been able to bring his family over to the US yet? Haiti is such a gong show.

On a brighter note, here's a humrous video of DeRoux:

Don't know, it's hard to find any news about it after about 2005.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

Here is some info on Stephen DeRoux, another player who looked dangerous everytime he faced the Impact.

Yes, I remember. I checked his stats and saw he only scored 1 goal this year, but it does't represent well what he's able to do. He makes me think of Brillant.

Did I say he scored his lone goal on the Saputo grass ? [8)]

Archived