Interior BC Place Soccer Configuration

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping the platform behind the far end becomes the first real terrace in the MLS.

I think the bar in the foreground is actually one of the new club suites that are being built... if you look closely, you'll see the tops of fans sitting in seats on the other side of it.

The "Wall" at the back is actually a curtain that will be removed when attendances are execeeding 22,000.

Not sure what's going on with those platforms in the corners though... the ones with the douchebags in black with hoochies in white miniskirts?

Guest Jeffery S.

Apart from the weirdness on the ends (the stands should be at least 15 rows all across, both ends), it looks pretty good to me. You can always set up a supporter group in a corner instead of the end, there is not reason to be obsessed with endzones. The score clock is irrelevant, they feel they have to have one you put one in, nuf said. Indifferent to me.

So what would that seat, maybe 22,000?

I think a dark colour would be better for the curtain. The white stands out too much and draws attention to itself. ie This stadium is actually mostly empty.

I don't think MLS will go for this design (nor will I) if the far goal is going to be sitting there at the top of the box instead of behind the end line.

Toronto look good with the blue and red stripes. I'm tired of TFC, Montréal, Whitecaps and the national team all playing in solid colours from head to toe like a Neil Diamond jump suit. Toronto also look good down two goals to Vancouver. I hope the family enclosure isn't too close to the knocking shops in the corners.

I have to add that I agree with most that the seating behind the goals is far too small. It's true that it's not necessary for supporters groups to be behind the goal, but it's certainly the best place in the opinions of most. It's the best to get at the opposing keeper as well keeping "us" a fair distance from the soccer mums who may find supporters groups offensive. I don't want the team to cater entirely to families, but I want them accomodated. Bums in seats, that's what's needed.

My comments:

1) First off, what a terrible mock-up! My 10-year old niece could have done better in 30 minutes using MS Paint.

2) I think they should make a larger stand behind one of the goals.

3) I see that there are an extra 10-or-so rows on either sideline, which do not extend all the way to the goal lines on either side. What's the problem with extending them all the way to the goal lines?

4) Will the roof actually hide the upper deck? If so, I think that's great. But what happens when the roof is open, or am I missing something?

5) Otherwise, it's not bad.

quote:Originally posted by Tintin

I don't think MLS will go for this design (nor will I) if the far goal is going to be sitting there at the top of the box instead of behind the end line.

Good eye! LOL.

A couple of points:

1. Seating behind the goals... if you look closely at the little dining area in the foreground, you see the rows of seats immediately in front of it. This dining area is a corporate suite located slightly above Level 1. There's a full 30 rows (guessing) of seating leading down to the pitch on the other side that you cant see from this perspective.

On the other hand, the opposite side of the field in the far distant background seems to have a platform of some sort, and little seating. It's either terracing or VIP schmooze area. We'll see what they do with this.

Bottom line is we have 22,000 seats on Level 1 in a horseshoe configuration with a draping wall at one end. There will be a strong contingent of fans behind at least one of the goals.

2. Seating along the sidelines... it looks like this particular rendering has been done with TV cameras in mind. As you can see the right side of the picture has quite a gap between fans and the pitch. When the BC Lions play, this gap is used by a high speed camera truck that rolls up and down the pitch to follow the action.

It doesn't appear to have this gap on the far side of the rendering... those folks look much closer.

3. Quality of the rendering.... I have a feeling that PavCo is 100% responsible for these renderings, not the Whitecaps.

You'll recall the drawings commissioned by the Whitecaps for their waterfront stadium were magnificent.

This one looks like hastily produced garbage cranked out by pencil pushers at PavCo, not by architects. They've slapped a soccer design over top of the BC Lions football configuration, and buggered up the far goal position. It also explains why the jumbotron looks so ridiculous... they've just plopped a shape on top of the square one from the BC Lions pics.

As such, I wouldn't take all of the fine details to heart. The key thing is how they're doing the roof, and how they're concealing the upper deck... on that criteria alone the rendering looks perfectly acceptable.

This rendering was probably done in the mindset that the Whitecaps are only going to be short-term residents of BC place, and that the stadium will eventually be without a soccer club in it. Quite a bit of the design makes me think football rather than...err...football, and that it has been done up in mind to not really accommodate a soccer franchise fully. It will be interesting to watch the design evolve over the next couple of years.

So how do the BC Lions plans fit into this? The Lions average 35,000 a game.

Are these drapes going to be installed / retracted depending on whether the game is Whitecaps / Lions?

Cause these plans really don't seem to address the BC Lions needs, and they are still the primary revenue maker for the stadium, not the Caps.

Probably the plan is to release these drawings to the public, wait for a decision on the MLS...

and then the final plan will look much different

Bill, look at all the links and pictures associated with that page, they show many renderings including how the roof comes out of the clock, how the thing will look for the CFL, the exterior, and sky shots of DT Vancouver with the new stadium...at least before a bear farts and there is a crater where DT Van used to be ;)

quote:Originally posted by Bill

So how do the BC Lions plans fit into this? The Lions average 35,000 a game.

Are these drapes going to be installed / retracted depending on whether the game is Whitecaps / Lions?

I think that's the whole point of having drapes...

As for trade shows, the natural surface will push them elsewhere.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I think that's the whole point of having drapes...

As for trade shows, the natural surface will push them elsewhere.

What "natural surface"? From the article it was saying "The building plans also include a new synthetic FIFA-approved pitch.".

A new and improved natural synthetic turf? ;)

Archived