Canada’s women’s U-20 team announced its roster to

CoachRich

They beat England 2-0. I'm interested to see how they do once the World Cup kicks off. In terms of the PR/community stuff, in fairness all of them are in high school/college and dealing with full workloads so I am guessing when not training/recovering/preparing, they are probably in the books.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by bjarne

They beat England 2-0. I'm interested to see how they do once the World Cup kicks off. In terms of the PR/community stuff, in fairness all of them are in high school/college and dealing with full workloads so I am guessing when not training/recovering/preparing, they are probably in the books.

"in the books", no chance. They are out on the beach all day taking the sun rays and the view.

I know of one player that will have to go back to her US University after the tournament to write some exams for courses that she is taking on-line. I suspect there are others. Give these girls a break. Most if not all of them will not be earning a living playing football, and they are taking time off from their career preparation to play for their country. Why are we Canadians alway so negative? (At least the ones who post on this site.) It must be an inferiority complex or something.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

12 November 2008

Canadian U20s off to Chile 2008

For information on Canada at the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup Chile 2008, please visit the FIFA tournaments section.

Canada’s women’s U-20 team has arrived in Chile before this month’s FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup Chile 2008. The team arrived safely in Viña del Mar, Chile after leaving Vancouver, BC on Monday. The team will train daily this week before taking part in an exhibition match against England on Friday 14 November. The two sides will play three 30-minute periods so that both coaches can continue with their final preparations before next week’s competition.

So in chile on the 12 of November first game in tournament on the 20th.. and no time to do some PR with the locals ?

Give me break the players will be hanging in the hotel for twenty hours at day .. bored stiff.

A good team mananger would arrange something be it a visit to a community club or a school or a childrens hospital.

Sorry I dont buy it.

They have lots of time, they cannot be practicing more then three hours per day at this point in the cycle....

I guess you're not paying attention during the World Cup or the Euro when teams are staying at the same hotel resort for the whole tournament and are only allowed to get out for games and practices.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be positive to have those girls visiting some village or cultural sites, just that limited movement is a comon practice at the highest levels.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

"in the books", no chance. They are out on the beach all day taking the sun rays and the view.

Ref - in my experience of coaching at the SYL level this is exactly where the girls were - in the books - to say otherwise is a great disservice to these student-athletes (or even athlete-student if you prefer a more cynical tone - which obviously you do.) On road trips on the bus we always ensured at least a couple of hours of study time...

Some simple facts :

1) Women's National Team Head Coach/Women's Program Director

Entraîneur-chef de l'équipe nationale féminine senior/Directeur du programme féminin

Even Pellerud

Ext. / Poste : 4 Email / Courriel : epellerud@soccercan.ca

2) From the CSA conflict policy.

Guidelines of Conduct are set forth below which are not intended to be exhaustive of all

possible situations that may arise, but are intended to assist the Executive Committee and Board

of Directors in the avoidance of and in dealing with conflict of interest situations. These

Guidelines are:....

So to me Even is a Director of a program, and his wife was hired into the program and is listed as the Administrator .... was there an open competitive process in which Even declared interst and did not participate in any way ?

Its time for transparency.

I believe you are confusing Association Directors and Executive Committes with Program director who is an employee of the Association.

Even Pellerud is an employee of the CSA, not a director of the organization.

The Directors of a non-profit, those who guide its major decision-making processes are subjected to conflict of interest rules to ensure that they do not use their status as decision makers and/or the association's non-profit status to profit personally. They are not allowed to be employees of the association.

Employees are subject to different rules as per the association's employee standards.

I still think that support staff positions for National Team programs should be at the coaches' discretion in the same way that player selection is at the coaches' discretion because they form part of the team that must click with the group. Hopefully, Ian Bridge had some say in who is on his support team for the World Cup...

quote:Originally posted by soccertaxi

I believe you are confusing Association Directors and Executive Committes with Program director who is an employee of the Association.

Even Pellerud is an employee of the CSA, not a director of the organization.

The Directors of a non-profit, those who guide its major decision-making processes are subjected to conflict of interest rules to ensure that they do not use their status as decision makers and/or the association's non-profit status to profit personally. They are not allowed to be employees of the association.

Employees are subject to different rules as per the association's employee standards.

I still think that support staff positions for National Team programs should be at the coaches' discretion in the same way that player selection is at the coaches' discretion because they form part of the team that must click with the group. Hopefully, Ian Bridge had some say in who is on his support team for the World Cup...

It has been confirmed by another source that Head Coaches do pick their Team Officials

Bill Ault can probably provide more background, I think he had her at the Fury.

One of the best athletes and person I've ever had the pleasure of working with and one of those rare Canadian beasts a natural goal scorer. Great pace and strength and a nose for goal I'm not surprised by her success at the Division 1 Level.

As for why she has never been asked to play for Canada.... I know not the answer but part of it may have been at the time she was with me she was also involved in hockey at a very high level (provincial at least and possibly national if memory serves) she eventually decided to focus on soccer when JMU offered her a scholarship. As Trillium has alluded to there are others of the same ilk in the area - not dozens but certainly a couple on both the male and female side that IMO have something to offer the national programs.

Something for Trillium:

http://www.fotball.no/t1.aspx?p=51831&x=1&a=238434

Norway's Under-20 team is seeking a medal in Chile. On Thursday in Oslo they had a short course in Chilean culture and history from Chile's Ambassador Roberto Alonso-Budge.

The ambassador thinks the World Cup is more than just football. "Chile is a friendly country, and even if we are a long way apart Norway and Chile have a lot in common. Sport is a good way to find out more about each other", he said. "We live in a global world and youth is the future. Chile wishes well to all countries, so the Under-20 World Cup is is a good way to spread knowledge and friendship".

Norway and Chile are not playing in the same group but could meet each other if they reach the knockout stages. Ambassador Roberto Alonso-Budge hopes the two teams will meet but was not decisive about which team he would support. "I would like to shout for both teams, but as a Chilean I would really support my country", he said.

National trainer Jarl Torske was very happy with the embassy visit. He agrees that the trip will be about more than football but also about learning something of the places the players visit. "I think it is important to have a perspective around the football. The national players are very privileged and get to travel round the world, so I think it's important for them to learn about where they are going. It is important to have respect for other nations", said Torske.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Odd because a hockey player of that caliber would have far more scholarship opportunities on the women's hockey side, and far less competition as well.

Just checked she played for the winning Ontario Red team at the 2005 U18 National Championships as far why she chose soccer over hockey that would be for her to answer....

"Corky" Julien leads JMU with 15 goals, next highest is 4:

http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=62360&SPID=6827&DB_OEM_ID=14400&ATCLID=795215&Q_SEASON=2008

They upset Wake Forest and play Portland Saturday in the 3rd round of the NCAA tournament:

------------------

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C., Nov. 16, 2008 -- Senior Lindsay Bowers (Burke, Va./Lake Braddock) scored on a corner kick play with 8:57 left to lift James Madison to a 1-0 win over 23rd-ranked Wake Forest in the second round of the NCAA Women's Soccer Tournament Sunday afternoon at Wake's Spry Stadium.

The Dukes (14-6-2) advance to the round of 16 and will play third-ranked Portland (19-1), a 2-0 winner over number 19 Texas. That game is set for 7 p.m. PST (10 p.m. EST) on Saturday, Nov. 22."

------------------

Portland is on an 18 game winning streak. Their only loss was at the start of the year 1-0 to Kara Lang/Sophie Leroux's UCLA. Portland is loaded as usual, the two Rapinoe's, Sophie Schmidt, etc.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

"Corky" Julien leads JMU with 15 goals, next highest is 4:

Corky had a team mate with the Fury who was another provincial level hockey player who went to Cornell on a hockey/soccer scholarship - I believe she did both sports in her first year but just checking looks like she committed to soccer only this season...

quote:

This sort of comment makes me believe that you have no idea what happens at camp. Usually the team is doing 2 a days with travel to and from the field with team and individual meetings thrown in as well. They then are getting physio and other treatments to reduce the impact of all the training on their bodies. This in addition to nearly 20 hours of travel time to get there, lost baggage, strange food and not the best of accomodations. While they were in a beach resort they were not at a beach hotel.

quote:Originally posted by pinto

This sort of comment makes me believe that you have no idea what happens at camp. Usually the team is doing 2 a days with travel to and from the field with team and individual meetings thrown in as well. They then are getting physio and other treatments to reduce the impact of all the training on their bodies. This in addition to nearly 20 hours of travel time to get there, lost baggage, strange food and not the best of accomodations. While they were in a beach resort they were not at a beach hotel.

What you describe Pinto is a lot of hard work. But have you considered the follow. They chose to travel a week earlier and chose to go to Vina del Mar and chose the hotel, all I pressume at the expense of our dear CSA who is not very wealthy. FIFA pays the bill from the 15 onwards not from the 10th which was their travel date. This town is 75 miles from Santiago where FIFA would locate them as their first two games are there. The 20 hours travel time you mention that is from Vancouver to Santiago and not from their hotel to the training field. I don't know of any lost baggage and I don't know what is wrong with the food. If the accommodations are not the best, well they chose it and in a rather high tourist season it may be difficult to get better.

A funny side to this is that the U.S. delegation is staying in Santiago at a 4 star Grand Palace FIFA selected hotel, the same one that Canada stayed at during the recent 4 nations tournament and the U.S. has, at least so far, no complaints and only good things to say.

If I got something wrong, I offer you my apologies.

Looks like that was Pinto's 1st post. Welcome Pinto :-)

It's pretty standard for the teams to go a week or 2 earlier to acclimatize & to do friendlies. As to the choice of the city thats where they had their friendly vs England. Big Red won 2-0

The US WNT's have Blogs that they update almost daily. You can follow the U17 & 20's here so you can see what they are up to -

ynt-ussoccer.blogspot.com

For those that want to watch the other U20's games go here -

http://myp2p.eu/competition.php?&competitionid=349∂=sports&discipline=football

quote:Originally posted by CoachRich

Looks like that was Pinto's 1st post. Welcome Pinto :-)

It's pretty standard for the teams to go a week or 2 earlier to acclimatize & to do friendlies. As to the choice of the city thats where they had their friendly vs England. Big Red won 2-0

The US WNT's have Blogs that they update almost daily. You can follow the U17 & 20's here so you can see what they are up to -

ynt-ussoccer.blogspot.com

For those that want to watch the other U20's games go here -

http://myp2p.eu/competition.php?&competitionid=349#8706;=sports&discipline=football

It is not standard to go a week or 2 earlier. Only England and Canada did out of the 16 teams. And England who were staying in Santiago had to travel to Vina del Mar to play that exhibition game with Canada which they did behind closed doors.

England and Chile are now staying together at the same hotel in La Serena, 9 miles from Coquimbo where their match will take place. Coquimbo is some 300 miles north of Santiago.

^Ref what's the matter with the girls going a little early to get some warm up matches and acclimatization? If anything I am thinking with all the bitching that goes on here (myself included) about the CSA and the lack of support for the female players that this would be a positive?

quote:Originally posted by bjarne

^Ref what's the matter with the girls going a little early to get some warm up matches and acclimatization? If anything I am thinking with all the bitching that goes on here (myself included) about the CSA and the lack of support for the female players that this would be a positive?

No problem at all. My beef is with the CSA and their vote of poverty.

Archived