Impact Roster-Who stays and who goes?

Alberto7

Just saw on Impactsoccer.com that of the 26 players under contract with the Impact this season, there are 16 whose contracts have expired. Here is the complete list. Who do you think should be re-signed and who should be let go. I list the date the contract expires next to each player:

GK:

Jordan 2009

Weber 2008

D:

Braz 2009

Gervais 2008

Joqueviel 2008

Pesoli 2009

Pizzolitto 2008

Surprenant 2008

Uwimana 2008

M:

Aguilera 2009

Biello 2008

Brillant 2008

Di Lorenzo 2009

Donatelli 2010

Gatti 2009

Grande 2008

Leduc 2008

Matondo 2008

Ribeiro 2008

Testo 2008

F:

Brown 2008

Byers 2008

Gjertsen 2009

Gregory 2008

Jefferson 2009

Placentino 2009

I read on the Radio-Canada site that Biello definitely wants to come back but that Jordan wants to go back to Colorado where he has a house because his daughter is starting school and he wants here schooled there. Grande wants to go back to Europe.

Personally, I think Jordan would be a huge loss but if he comes back, I would expect the Impact to promote Olivieri to the first team and drop Weber. Comments?

Grande has clearly stated publically he wants to be part of the Impact's future. He came over here even when he still had options in leagues in Europe.

As for Jordan, I've heard no such thing, however I do remember this bit that SRC did on him before a game once and he stated that he loved the city and couldn't see himself anywhere else. I wouldn't go as far as to speculate he wants out though...

Biello will return, however as it was for most of this season it will be in a secondary role. Mauro will definetly continue to have a role in the organisation even after his playing days are over.

Its going to be a busy couple months for Joey and Nick getting all these boys under contract, not to mention planning friendlies and getting the entire Olympic Stadium situation fixed.

quote:Originally posted by mtl-supporter23

Grande has clearly stated publically he wants to be part of the Impact's future. He came over here even when he still had options in leagues in Europe.

As for Jordan, I've heard no such thing, however I do remember this bit that SRC did on him before a game once and he stated that he loved the city and couldn't see himself anywhere else. I wouldn't go as far as to speculate he wants out though...

Biello will return, however as it was for most of this season it will be in a secondary role. Mauro will definetly continue to have a role in the organisation even after his playing days are over.

Its going to be a busy couple months for Joey and Nick getting all these boys under contract, not to mention planning friendlies and getting the entire Olympic Stadium situation fixed.

Read about Jordan's plans, Grande and Gervais in the Radio-Canada article here:

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/soccer/2008/10/23/002-autonomes-jeudi.shtml

quote:Originally posted by mtl-supporter23

Nice problems to have....

I get all my news about Jordan at www.mattnlori.com !

As of last week, he's planning to be back in Montreal for preseason...

From his wife:

quote:We’ll have a visit from Matt’s mom in December. Then, we’ll spend xmas at home and fly out to Florida for a sunny vacation before Matt starts back up for preseason. It will be a busy couple months but I can’t wait!

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

I get all my news about Jordan at www.mattnlori.com !

As of last week, he's planning to be back in Montreal for preseason...

From his wife:

Well, he needs to get back to training with or without a team regardless of where he plays next season. I don't know how you see that as a sure sign he's planning to stay in Montreal...

His wife posts EVERYTHING about them on that site... and the Southsiders take the piss out of him mercilessly for it each time he comes to Vancouver. If you read through the site it's quite clear they're off for a wee family holiday tour through the US, blah blah blah, then back to soccer business as usual. No mention anywhere of uprooting the family to pursue other options.

Not that I really care though, I'm just sayin'.

quote:Originally posted by Kurosawa

From the JDM last sunday, Pato Aguilera, Sita Taty Matondo and Gason Gregory have all been told to look elsewhere for a job next year.

The Journal de Montreal article also says that Jordan has received offers from one or several MLS teams and has let the Impact know about it. Apparantly, he was excited to join the Impact in 2007 because he thought the team would be in MLS in 2009. Now that the earliest would be 2011, he is looking at pursuing his MLS options elsewhere. I don't know about you guys, but it sounds to me that he is not coming back.

How about Kenny Stamatopolous if he is out of contract at the end of the Norwegian season. Would be an upgrade on Jordan on my opinion and if we are going MLS the Impact might be willing to pay the money required to sign him. Given a choice between him staying or going I would want Jordan to stay but I don't think his loss is as bad as some are claiming. He reminds me a lot of Sutton and Onstad in that he is a very good reaction shot stopper (which usually makes keepers popullar with fans) but he is also indecisive, spills a lot of balls and has suspect positioning. He is rarely punished for these things in USL but has been in Champions League play. He was legitimatelly our player of the year in the USL but was far from our top player in Champions Leeague. What we would miss from him is his confidence and ability to organize the defence. However, I still think he can be replaced and even upgraded.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

How about Kenny Stamatopolous if he is out of contract at the end of the Norwegian season. Would be an upgrade on Jordan on my opinion and if we are going MLS the Impact might be willing to pay the money required to sign him. Given a choice between him staying or going I would want Jordan to stay but I don't think his loss is as bad as some are claiming. He reminds me a lot of Sutton and Onstad in that he is a very good reaction shot stopper (which usually makes keepers popullar with fans) but he is also indecisive, spills a lot of balls and has suspect positioning. He is rarely punished for these things in USL but has been in Champions League play. He was legitimatelly our player of the year in the USL but was far from our top player in Champions Leeague. What we would miss from him is his confidence and ability to organize the defence. However, I still think he can be replaced and even upgraded.

Does anyone have any extra info,stats ect. about Kenny Stamatopolous??

quote:Originally posted by SteveBeau

Does anyone have any extra info,stats ect. about Kenny Stamatopolous??

from Wikipedia:

1999-2002 Kalamata FC(Greek 2nd tier) 10 games

2003-2004 Enkopings FC(Swedish 2nd tier) 40 games

2005 Bodens BK (Swedish 3rd tier)30 games

2006-2007 Tromso IL (Norwegian Premier League)14 games

2007 Toronto FC (on loan) 12 games

2008 Tromso IL

He was ok with Toronto FC last year- 1 win 8 losses 3 ties, GAA 1.67

5 caps with Canada

Next season I expect to see

Jordan

diLorenzo Pesoli Pizzolitto Braz

Gatti Leduc Grande Placentino

Gjertsen and Jefferson...as the starting lineup

I also hope that Brown and Byers stay. That would make Jeffersen the third striker. I hope that Testo stays, Suprenant, Uwimana and Weber. Donatelli, di Lorenzo, Byers and Jordan I expect to be offered MLS contracts, but they will be able to make as much $$$ staying with Montreal.

If Donatelli leaves then Montreal will need to replace him with a physically strong attacking winger option who can score goals. Gjertsen is this type of player, but Placentino is a bit lightweight and eratic and Montreal's style of play requires 2 or three attacking wingers/midfielders.

quote:Originally posted by Lorne

Next season I expect to see

Jordan

diLorenzo Pesoli Pizzolitto Braz

Gatti Leduc Grande Placentino

Gjertsen and Jefferson...as the starting lineup

I also hope that Brown and Byers stay. That would make Jeffersen the third striker. I hope that Testo stays, Suprenant, Uwimana and Weber. Donatelli, di Lorenzo, Byers and Jordan I expect to be offered MLS contracts, but they will be able to make as much $$$ staying with Montreal.

If Donatelli leaves then Montreal will need to replace him with a physically strong attacking winger option who can score goals. Gjertsen is this type of player, but Placentino is a bit lightweight and eratic and Montreal's style of play requires 2 or three attacking wingers/midfielders.

Donatelli's already under contract for the next three years. He and Testo would surely be starting if healthy. If Gervais retires as rumored I think a key signing is Joqeuviel as he has shown himself to be a superb back-up CB.

I hope that you are right. My starting 11 is biased towards Montreal natives and against American players, I guess. Really, I expect that some of the Americans may prefer to play in Seattle or Philidelphia or Carolina. Gjerstsen, Donatelli, Weber, Jordan, and Testo, the Americans havent been with the club very long, a year or two.

quote:Originally posted by Lorne

I hope that you are right. My starting 11 is biased towards Montreal natives and against American players, I guess. Really, I expect that some of the Americans may prefer to play in Seattle or Philidelphia or Carolina. Gjerstsen, Donatelli, Weber, Jordan, and Testo, the Americans havent been with the club very long, a year or two.

Grande and Leduc are more than capable of filling those holes of neccessary. Placentino is not as solid as Donatelli though, I agree. Losing Gjertsen would hurt the most IMO, even more than Jordan. I'm not sure who else can play that roving attack position behind a big striker, at least based on what we've seen.

Archived