U17 CAN v. Denmark [R]

Vic

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tactically, I thought the formation was brilliant. All the firepower up front opened the field up and thined the Danes out and didn't let them assemble and get any quality interplay going in our back third.

In the back I thought Hedlund played well, I'm a big fan. Up front Lamarre and Ezurike didn't score but put in great games and constantly battled and won balls they shouldn't have won. The Danish defenders had real problems with them both. I pray Cameron is good to go. Wu did her job, and distribute well with a really low turnover rate. Richard did another great job under pressure and it looks like she instills confidence in her defenders. She better get some rest...

Now I'll answer the question: They are 15th out of 16 teams. Only Costa Rica has scored fewer with one goal in three matches. (Canada's +/- is better at +1. They are in a five way tie for fourth.) Stll they have advanced and France didn't so defense can get you into the next round but offense wins championships.

quote:Originally posted by AlanDouglas

Uhm no. Conventional wisdom dictates that defense wins championships. It's pretty much a sports cliche.

Agree and the fact that 7 of the 8 eliminated teams scored more goals than Canada show how defense is important.

I guess our best bet against Germany is to play a well organized defensive game. I can see us getting the upset win if we keep the score at 0-0 or 1-1 but if I can't see us in a high scoring game.

Actually I heard one of the so called sports experts explain that the difference between basketball and soccer was that basketball is an offensive sport which is won by defense and that soccer is a defensive sport that is won by offense.

I think the cliche is very much sport dependent as in "The best defense is a good offense."

In soccer if you can't score you might tie but you certainly aren't going to win.

quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

Actually I heard one of the so called sports experts explain that the difference between basketball and soccer was that basketball is an offensive sport which is won by defense and that soccer is a defensive sport that is won by offense.

I think the cliche is very much sport dependent as in "The best defense is a good offense."

In soccer if you can't score you might tie but you certainly aren't going to win.

With all due respect, isn't this the reality of pretty much every team sports?

In basketball, if you can't score you'll loose. The same in baseball.

The same goes for NHL playoff hockey.

Soccer and international hockey (plus regular NHL games) are different since you can keep the score at 0-0 and still win in a shootout (only in knockout round in soccer).

quote:Originally posted by basics

After yesterday's games. Canada has the least amount of goals scored against them out of all the teams in the tournament. GO CANADA. You have made us proud!

And they have the least goals scored of any team in the quarterfinals and the second least in the whole tournament :). Oh well, getting results is all that matters.

leafdolfan,

Leave it to you to be negative. The players do read this forum so try to be a bit more positive. You are talking about 14, 15 16 and 17 year olds. I am sure you were perfect when you were their age. GO CANADA we are so proud of you. You are one of the BEST eight teams in the World at U17! You did what it took to make it to the FINAL EIGHT! No one can take that away from you.

He wasn't that bad. He just stated a fact. And they'll get a lot worse than that. I think there is one 15yr old and the rest are 16 and 17.

Read the men's forum. There basically isn't a player who hasn't been scathed, trashed, ripped and personally villified, to say nothing of called useless 350 times.

Most of the players are a year from voting and being adults. And they're more than capable of handling criticism. It's also the reality, and the more they live in that the better.

No one is questioning they've done great. We are quarter-finalists, which is a great accomplishment and we're all completely proud. But with respect to Ghana and France, that doesn't mean we're one of the best 8 teams in the world. We could be 1st or 2nd or we could be 14th, no one will ever know. All that matters is we're still playing.

Forget goals for and against, that can be affected by style of play. The question is; of the girls that are born in 1991 or later, who can be identified as having great potential to develop into a solid defender, skilled midfielder or reliable goal scorer capable of making the jump to the WNT?

Archived