mitchell in friendlies

villus

Is there any reason he did'nt try a 2 striker formation in friendlies? If he is giong to play a long ball style why would he think that was going to work with one striker (Friend) who is'nt that quick in general? Goes to show he was making the same mistakes in the U-20 playing Lombardo up top alone (lol) and doing the same thing in the MNT now. IMO 2 huge mistakes not trying out different formations and employing a long ball style with a formation and players that it does'nt fit. On top of the other slights I have heard against him these fundamental mistakes seem like amateur hour to the fullest.

To be fair our players had some good performances during the friendlies. Canada play so few times a year, and Mitchell didn't have enough Friendlies pre-qualifying IMO. So he needed to find a best XI and formation then stick with it and strengthen it instead of experimenting. But this problem would have been solved had we hired a manager earlier (immediately after Yallop).

To be fair our players had some good performances during the friendlies. Canada play so few times a year, and Mitchell didn't have enough Friendlies pre-qualifying IMO. So he needed to find a best XI and formation then stick with it and strengthen it instead of experimenting. But this problem would have been solved had we hired a manager earlier (immediately after Yallop).

Of the friendlies I was able to watch the one that really stood out was the South Africa match, which I have noted many times in my previous posts. We were down 2-0 at the half and generating little offensively: even with Occean on the bench, DM chose to make a halftime sub of Issey for the disappointing Simpson and continue with Hume as an isolated striker. If anything we regressed, with more giveaways (most notably by a truly out-of-form Bernier but also by our defenders as we reverted to a long ball game) and no threat to the SA net. I remember thinking (perhaps posting) at half time that I hoped Occean would be brought in to partner Hume: it just seemed like a good time to see if we could change the momentum of the match right from the start of the second half.

After that game I felt he was going to be pretty dogmatic about using a seemingly lone striker, regardless of the game situation, a point which was subsequently driven home (like a stake into sand) in the second half of the Honduras match in Montreal.

I can understand trying to maintain a certain level of consistency in the style/tactics you play, but you need to adapt to the situations as they come up and try to make something happen when it's clear that the current strategy isn't working.

"Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend."

-Bruce Lee

Dale would do well to learn this quote, If your going to be a sucessfull coach you have to be able to adapt.

quote:Originally posted by villus

"Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend."

-Bruce Lee

Dale would do well to learn this quote, If your going to be a sucessfull coach you have to be able to adapt.

That's a far more eloquent way of explaining the situation;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived