TFC TV ratings for 2008

Massive Attack

Well, the verdict is in:

http://tinyurl.com/58lkfo

Toronto FC's poor season produced a mixed bag of TV audiences. The CBC averaged 85,000 viewers for 13 telecasts, down 35 per cent from last year's 130,000. Rogers Sportsnet averaged 49,300 for eight games, up 51 per cent. The Score's average for six telecasts was 35,000, up 28 per cent.

People wonder why these games often come second to hockey or baseball on the numerous networks. Here is some data to show you why.

Those CBC Bold games though would have dragged down CBC's overall average big-time, I would suspect. The article doesn't distinguish between regular CBC & CBC Bold when talking about CBC's average. It's nice to see the other networks get better ratings this year though.

The article has another important point:

"The CBC, which was given a licence for a sports channel that would carry no more than 30 per cent live professional sports content, could perhaps air 100 per cent professional sports."

That means more potential airtime for soccer. And looking at all of the networks, my bet would be on the CBC actually televising more games.

quote:Originally posted by masster

The article has another important point:

"The CBC, which was given a licence for a sports channel that would carry no more than 30 per cent live professional sports content, could perhaps air 100 per cent professional sports."

That means more potential airtime for soccer. And looking at all of the networks, my bet would be on the CBC actually televising more games.

The licence that CBC got doesn't give them automatic access to the cable and dish markets. Like TSN2, it has to find distributors who will carry it.

Archived