Victor Montagliani interview on Extra Time tonight

Mobiiiiiiiilio

Did anyone catch Lee Godfrey's interview with Victor Montagliani....it was over 10 minutes long....good questions...Victor seemed to admit there is quite a battle going on within the CSA Executive and Board...."the whole winning attitude" bit seemed to be directed at people who are within the organization who do not have soccer's best interest in mind.....The show repeats on GOLTV at 9:00pm ET incase you missed it.

Anyone else have any thoughts???

Hmmm....well that's probably the best he's come across in a media interview thus far. Very good interview Lee. Difficult to argue with the lack of a winning attitude point, but in order to develop that they will have to demonstrate a lack of tolerance towards failure to win. We'll have to see if that happens.

I watched the interview last night.

I tend to agree with YNWA....I think Vic came across generally poorly but the interview did go better as it progressed.. He's simply not cut out for media hits (neither is Domenic Maestracci).

I also agree that he said some of the right things but its just painful to watch him do these interviews (or to listen to him on the radio). I know the CSA is trying to take an offensive posture in the way they are trying to sell the Strategic Plan but they really need a far more polished spokesperson doing the job.

I also agree with YNWA that I'm getting sick and tired of PJ slamming the supporters. Paul, like or not, the supporters are stakeholders. Fortunately, there are people at the CSA who do understand this. Sadly, Paul wont accept this and that is truly a sad state of affairs. I guess he just wants us to keep quiet, cheer on cue, and let the "experts" keep running soccer in Canada so damn well.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

What did PJ said? Thanks!

Basically that the supporters don't have the expertise to comment on the game at this level.

I don't claim to be a great footballer, but I'm pretty sure that if I had applied myself to the game from birth, I could have become a Doncaster Rovers reject. What else am I missing in his resume that makes him such an astute observer. It can't be his MNT record, because Andy Hainault has quite a few caps at 21 and PJ had no problem suggesting that he was crap.

Loyola, you play(ed) Canadian University soccer, does anybody rate this guy as a manager? Are players going to York because of the illustrious Paul James?

Thanks.

All I've heard from Paul James comes from Quebec players who tried out for the U-20's in 2000 and 2001. Apparently, he's a good coach, effective tactically (and his analysis on GolTV are often very interesting IMO, except that proposition about the 3-4-3 for our MNT...). I also remember some players complaining about an anti-Quebec bias....but we all know, looking at some of the threads here (in the WNT forum) that's something that we often hear about coaches so I would take that with a grain of salt.

For what it's worth, when I started playing, I remember that York U. had a poor program and they were struggling badly (only 1 win in 2003). So, I think that PJ had an effect on that program as he seemed able to recruit well in Ontario. James arrived at York in 2004 or 2005 and got the program back with the elite of CIS.

Don't know what this means but apparently PJ has a Football Industries MBA at the University of Liverpool in England.

http://www.liv.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/taught_courses/football_industries_mba.htm

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Basically that the supporters don't have the expertise to comment on the game at this level.

Putting it like that maks it sound like he was talking about the supporters not understanding what happens on the field of play. That's not what he said and I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant. The comments came out of the Victor Montagliani admission that the CSA isn't doing a good job of informing the fans of what is going at with the CSA so a lot of the time they don't know what is going on behind the scenes & they receive a lot of criticism as a result. It was in that context that PJ made his comments which echoed that. For those that didn't see it, PJ indicated he would be discussing this further in his blog and a podcast of some kind.

I am surprised that people felt that Montagliani started off poorly - he started off by admitting a major problem with the CSA in their attitude which was part of the blame for the WCQ failure. That was the best part of the interview IMO.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Putting it like that maks it sound like he was talking about the supporters not understanding what happens on the field of play. That's not what he said and I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant. The comments came out of the Victor Montagliani admission that the CSA isn't doing a good job of informing the fans of what is going at with the CSA so a lot of the time they don't know what is going on behind the scenes & they receive a lot of criticism as a result. It was in that context that PJ made his comments which echoed that. For those that didn't see it, PJ indicated he would be discussing this further in his blog and a podcast of some kind.

I am surprised that people felt that Montagliani started off poorly - he started off by admitting a major problem with the CSA in their attitude which was part of the blame for the WCQ failure. That was the best part of the interview IMO.

I'm sorry, but that is an almost word for word quote of PJ.

The context of the comments were that Vic stated near the end of the interview that [in addition to waht you've already noted] the supporters are stakeholders and should hold the Association accountable.

PJ's comments were undoubtably a snide shot at the Vs, in a lame attempt to deny our right to drink Michell's blood.

Guest Jeffery S.

This CSA board is provisional, it does not respond to a president who has put his own executive together, it is pure improvisation by a bunch of guys who are there after boycotting the former president, who did not want to hire Mitchell.

I don't give a rat's ass what these guys think because they are a bunch of lame ducks, their opinion does not mean a thing, only that they happen to have control over Canadian soccer. What a mafia we have to deal with at the CSA.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I'm sorry, but that is an almost word for word quote of PJ.

The context of the comments were that Vic stated near the end of the interview that [in addition to waht you've already noted] the supporters are stakeholders and should hold the Association accountable.

PJ's comments were undoubtably a snide shot at the Vs, in a lame attempt to deny our right to drink Michell's blood.

Mr. James in entitled to his .. opinion.. but then again I have never played an ineligible player ... and the tossed my coach in it for doing so.. James is a cheater, he should be ashamed.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Mr. James in entitled to his .. opinion.. but then again I have never played an ineligible player ... and the tossed my coach in it for doing so.. James is a cheater, he should be ashamed.

The head coach of the men's soccer team at York is Isacco, not James. PJ is in charge of the women's team.

The blame is on the head coach of the team that played the ineligible player. So, that's Isacco, that's him who played Lombardo.

Anyways, we don't know enough about the situation to really know who's guilty here. Maybe York has someone who is in charge of this kind of things (where I played we had someone who was looking at eligibility/transfer/academics results and that person was working for all the sports teams). So, to call him a cheater because of Lombardo and ignoring the fact that York self-declared their mistake in this instance, you must be able to provide us with a little bit more information.

James is Director of Soccer at York U and as such, everything goes through him. You think he wasn't fully involved in the Lombardo fiasco??? PLEASE! He is either a cheater or an incompetent loser.

I've never seen an analyst have a vendetta against supporters before. How odd.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

James is Director of Soccer at York U and as such, everything goes through him. You think he wasn't fully involved in the Lombardo fiasco??? PLEASE! He is either a cheater or an incompetent loser.

I've never seen an analyst have a vendetta against supporters before. How odd.

I'm not saying he wasn't involve. I'm saying they self-declared which pretty much means that they could've continue like that for the whole season if they wanted. So why doing it in the first place to self-declare the problem 4 games into the season?

I'm also questionning his level of responsability in all this. I know he's the master coach but what does that means? What does he do on a daily basis? Who's in charge of the eligibilty question at York? Did James or Isacco asked the Lombardo case to be review by some sports director at York and the eligibility problems went undetected? When you'll answer those questions we'll be able to call him a cheater and that regardless of his opinion on fans which doesn't have anything to do with the case of Lombardo.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Well OJ turned himself in too, does that mean he didn't do it?

Hey I think I just figured something out. PJ. OJ. Hmmmm.

???

Ford Bronco SUV. Don't you remember that?

Anyways, I'm still waiting for the proof that James did that on purpose and that he tried to cheat...

Ah PJ, never too early to kiss ass for the next job i suppose. Whether we know anything about football or not, really not that relevant in this case. It's all about benchmarking, which someone who has no knowledge of anything can do.

I may not be able to tell you how build a good soccer association, hire a good coach, run a good qualifying campaign, learn introductory contract law before you sign someone to be your CEO (ok maybe i could do that), but I can tell you when those things aren't working properly and need to be fixed.

Maybe if PJ came down from his Ivory soap box tower, he'd figure that out too.

thanks for the vid, piltdownman.

I say Victor was quite good. First time I have heard someone from the CSA talk in the same vein as a corporate management person rather than bull****ting as a bureaucrat.

I liked that he admitted CSA has made mistakes and they should be hammered for it. Plus, he mentioned CSA needs a winning attitude rather than a participatory. The core business of the CSA is the NT. Long term thinking is required rather than just looking at 4 yr cycles. Mentioned Australia as a benchmark for CSA.

Archived