WPS: General Information [Final Result]

Vic

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

[R]

Battle of the Christines drew no sparks. Both taken out in the second half as Boston fell one to two to FC Gold Pride. Weimer was impressive for FC and Smith for Boston.

Smith was easily the best player on the pitch. Played with skill, finesse and soccer savvy our WNT could only dream of. Smith has a very good sense for the game and is able to change her pace and direction extremely well and seldom gave up posession of the ball. Her decision making was also very good and she didnt always look to go forward in one direction and one speed a la Sinclair and Latham. I hope young Canadian girls were watching as this is the style of play Morace has been promoting.

Smith is deemed one of the top 5 players in the world, and was drafted in the WPS before Marta and Cristiane. WUSA player, in her 14th year on the England team. She is completely at another level, and will be as relaxed as reading a book playing against U.S. semi-amateurs, which comprise about half of WPS rosters. And there are also a lot of other great women's strikers in this world who don't play like Smith but would sure look great in a Canada jersey. Prinz, Wambach, De Vanna (talk about change of pace), etc. I hope girls are watching them too... actually just hope girls are watching period.

[R]

The game of the Chicago Red Stars vs Washington Freedom was a battle of the all stars that ended tied at one. Too many stars in each team prevented some fluidity in my view. I liked Bompastor for the Freedom, but they need Erin McLeod. Scurry seems untrustworthy with several errors. Goalkeeper Jonsson for the Chicago is great, but of course no match for my favorite Hope Solo.

Random thoughts. The quality of the game from a fan's perspective was far higher than the first Freedom game. Wambach is still struggling but she'll hit her stride by mid-season and put the fear of God back in defenders. Jonsson sure put in a great 90. Kind of surprised with the Tarpley sub. Dieke looked good. If she really hasn't played in a year and a half like they said Scurry did ok, one positioning quasi-mistake but other than that she looks like she's getting more comfortable. Who the Hell brings Cristiane off the bench an hour into a game? Good God. Red Stars can count their Lucky Stars, the Freedom deserved the 3 points. Understood they haven't been together long but every WPS team I've seen needs work on dead balls. All in all with the expectations I had turning it on I was pleasantly surprised.

• 4 months later...

Divided loyalties today as my favorite WPS player, Natasha Kai, went against my favorite GK, Hope Solo. At the end it was Kai's team, Sky Blue FC, who will face L.A. Sol in the final this Saturday. I think that the WPS has risen to great heights at par with the former WUSA in players' skills and savvy.

There were 2 Candian girls who featured in last night super semi final in the WPS league. Tancredi, playing out of position as central defender, missed a couple of headers to give her team the tie. On the whole, she did not make a good impression on the game. I really don't understand why she wasn't used in the front line when the team desperately needs the physical power to unlock Sky Blue's tough defence. On the other hand, Kelly Parker showed why she is so important in our national team. She handles the ball well, knows how to evade a tackle, runs hard and passes the ball well (yes, on the ground!). She almost scored in the dying minutes. I am so impressed with her and God knows why Pellerud did not pick her up in the national team that often. Yes, of course we all know.

The final should be interesting. The Sol's super French midfielder Camille Abily has returned across the Atlantic to play in the Euro's. They'll miss her on the field and someone is going to have to step up. Sky Blue is on at least their 3rd coach this season, and now have USA WNT captain Christine Rampone pulling double duty. I would think the odds of them beating both Washington and St. Louis weeks ago when she was appointed as the new coach would have returned you a pretty penny. Just goes to show you the subtlety and magic in coaching and leadership.

Now if FIFA could just arrange a Women's Club Championship we'd be all set.

It should be a great final game. My money is on Sky Blue. Interesting to note that both teams will be featuring Canadian players. Karina Leblanc in goal for L.A. Also Sharolta Nonen for L.A. Sol and Kelly Parker for Sky Blue. Last two players disregarded by the incompetent Pellerud.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Now if FIFA could just arrange a Women's Club Championship we'd be all set.

Hopefully it will coming in the near future. CONMEBOL instituted a Libertadores Cup for women for the first time. It will be played in Brasil between October 5 and 18, this year. There will be 10 teams participating, one for each country. Confirmed teams so far:

White Star from Peru

Caracas from Venezuela

Santos from Brazil (Marta confirmed playing)

Everton from Chile

San Lorenzo from Argentina

Cerro Porteño from Paraguay?

Rampla Juniors from Uruguay

Parker Meets Leblanc In Inaugral WPS Championship

Kelly Parker #7 Midfielder

Kelly was born on March 8, 1981 in Saskatoon, SK. She was selected in the 4th round of the WPS International Draft as the 28th pick overall. She is the only Canadian on the Sky Blue FC roster.

Karina Leblanc #23 Goalkeeper

Karina was born March 30, 1980 in Maple Ridge, BC. She was selected in the WPS General Draft in the first round as the 5th pick overall. Along with Martina Franko and Sharolta Nonen, she is one of 3 Canadians on the Los Angeles Sol roster.

The WPS Championship pits the fourth-seeded Sky Blue FC against the regular season champion Los Angeles Sol and will be played on Saturday, Aug. 22 at 4pm ET at The Home Depot Center in Carson, CA.

Television coverage begins at 3:30 pm ET on Fox Sports Net.

FULL STORY - KELLY PARKER vs KARINA LEBLANC

http://nukesoccer.com/parker-meets-leblanc-in-inaugral-wps-championship/

^ with Franko on maternity it's actually Parker vs. LeBlanc/Nonen.

^^ that's great info Ref. Thanks very much I will follow it. And yes with at least three confederations having women's championships a world club can't be far off.

The CONMEBOL Championships are October 6-18 in Santos, Brazil. Two groups of five with the group winners straight to the final. Should be interesting to see the width of the talent band as some countries do not have a large women's presence.

Also interesting about the players in the WPS final. Great to see where perseverance and character and self-belief can take you.

Click play to watch the highlights of the game, including some great goalkeeping by Hope Solo:

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/ny/video/index.aspx

1-0 for Sky Blue. Poor Kelly was a victim of the run of play. She usually comes on in the second half to make her pace more effective but with her team protecting the lead after a 16th minute goal they opted for other tactics. Sharolta Nonen came on after 30 minutes and for the Sol in the back. So it's LeBlanc 90, Nonen 60, and Parker the trophy.

Throw in Franko and almost half the Canadians in the WPS were in the final.

Sky Blue F.C. is a good example where a good coach makes a hell of a difference. Their first coach, Ian Sawyers was fired. Their second coach Kelly Lindsey resigned and their assistant coach Joe Dorini was suspended. Enter Christie Rampone in July as coach-player and all was good. End result, winning the WPS Championship against none other than league leader L.A. Sol with Marta, 3 times FIFA player of the year. Anyone has information as to why their previous coaches were cut?

Archived