New Minister of Sport

morbital

Suspicion of Electoral Fraud

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Lunn

On the eve of Monday, October 13th, less than 24 hours prior to the 2008 Canadian Federal Election, Saanich/Gulf Islands hundreds of voters received a pre-recorded phone message, urging them to vote for NDP candidate Julian West, who had officially quite the race after controversy over a public-nudity incident 12 years ago (though not before the official ballots had gone to print). A woman's voice in the recording said the call was endorsed by Bill Graham, president of the NDP Saanich-Gulf Islands riding association, and from the "Progressive Voters Association of Saanich-Gulf Islands." While the caller ID number associated with the calls was that of Graham's office fax line, the office phone in question was confirmed to not be in use. Graham, as well as West, were quick to make it publicly known that the calls were in no way associated or sanctioned by the NDP, locally or nationally, adding, "It's not coming from our fax machine. Somebody is fraudulently using our name and our fax number to send out a misleading message."

Further calls to federal and provincial NDP campaign offices confirmed that no automated calls were contracted to be put out in the Saanich-Gulf Islands riding.

Gary Lunn is widely blamed for the automated campaign, having been the only candidate to employ automated phone recordings in his campaign, and the sole benefactor of the confusion.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

If the Liberals got in we had Ken Dryden.

Can anyone see anything on this political resume to make any athlete in this country excited?

http://www2.parl.gc.ca/Parlinfo/Files/Parliamentarian.aspx?Item=3151867b-f11f-4956-810e-e62d19707c8b&Language=E&Section=FederalExperience

This is like going from a Maserati to a Milkcart.

Judging from the photo in the following link:

http://www.garylunn.com/

I think he may have been a jockey.........or perhaps a midget wrestler......

From his website

"Minister Lunn practiced law in Victoria and resides in Sidney, British Columbia. He is a member of the British Columbia Law Society. Minister Lunn taught first aid for St. John's Ambulance and CPR for the Canadian Heart Foundation and was a member of the Canadian Ski Patrol. He is an active member of the Knights of Columbus.

A certified journeyman carpenter, Minister Lunn has designed and built numerous homes, including his family’s current home in Sidney, British Columbia. He and his wife Alexis have two children, David and Victoria."

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Suspicion of Electoral Fraud

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Lunn

On the eve of Monday, October 13th, less than 24 hours prior to the 2008 Canadian Federal Election, Saanich/Gulf Islands hundreds of voters received a pre-recorded phone message, urging them to vote for NDP candidate Julian West, who had officially quite the race after controversy over a public-nudity incident 12 years ago (though not before the official ballots had gone to print). A woman's voice in the recording said the call was endorsed by Bill Graham, president of the NDP Saanich-Gulf Islands riding association, and from the "Progressive Voters Association of Saanich-Gulf Islands." While the caller ID number associated with the calls was that of Graham's office fax line, the office phone in question was confirmed to not be in use. Graham, as well as West, were quick to make it publicly known that the calls were in no way associated or sanctioned by the NDP, locally or nationally, adding, "It's not coming from our fax machine. Somebody is fraudulently using our name and our fax number to send out a misleading message."

Further calls to federal and provincial NDP campaign offices confirmed that no automated calls were contracted to be put out in the Saanich-Gulf Islands riding.

Gary Lunn is widely blamed for the automated campaign, having been the only candidate to employ automated phone recordings in his campaign, and the sole benefactor of the confusion.

That use to be my riding. And its one of my parents ridings (the split their time between Pender Island and Vancouver). My boss use to live there too. None of us received any calls about this NDP candidate although on Election day we all received about a dozen recorded messages from Gary Lunn. I mean I got a calls on my mobile even though I don't even live there anymore and have no idea how they got the number. My mobile isn't even registered to me, as its a company phone. If it was Lund behind these automated NDP calls I would have though they would have used the same phone list. Since I was bombarded from Lunn and never got a NDP message I wouldn't be so quick to blame him. I should also note that I'm no Lunn fan ... he has done nothing for his coastal riding.

Not to get too political, but he seems like a nice man ;)

from - http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/magazine/jf00/feature_seal.asp

At St. Anthony airport, we are joined by Gary Lunn, Member of Parliament from Saanich-Gulf Islands in British Columbia and the Reform Party’s then-shadow fisheries minister. He had been visiting several coastal communities offering sympathy for their socio-economic distress and trying to sign up converts to his party. "You’ve got one hell of a fine lifestyle and culture here on this little island," he says, "and those damned seals shouldn’t be allowed to mess it up."

After three or four hours of waiting around, my group of five seal viewers, including Lunn, Efford’s public-relations person, Mary McNab, and her assistant, steps aboard the helicopter and takes off.

Suddenly, Lunn shouts at the pilot through our communal headsets: "Get down. Get right down on top of ’em let’s see those bastards really scuttle."

Archived