U17 World Cup group results

Vic

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw the full semi. England played plucky defensively, but were overmatched. The Germans should have won by much more, missed a lot of great chances in close. The English defended capable enough, but had no real attack whatsoever. Canada put in a far, far better game against the Germans. What I realized watching it was how superb the German defenders were. They have a skill level of most North American midfielders.

Watched the first half of the final.. the North Koreans weren't half as good as the Americans at soccer, but they were about twice as fit. You could tell their game plan in the first 20 minutes - play the game as fast as possible. Move the ball around the entire field at breakneck speed. They played one-touch moving the ball as far and as fast as posible, forcing all the Americans into back-to-back-to-back 50 yard runs, over and over and over. I was tired just watching it. Remember the Koreans train full-field 5v5. They were just trying to wear the Americans down so their fitness would let them have their way with them later in the game. Pretty coy tactic - and it worked flawlessly. The old Rocky Balboa.

Koreans are now back-to-back U20 champs.

Saw the full semi. England played plucky defensively, but were overmatched. The Germans should have won by much more, missed a lot of great chances in close. The English defended capable enough, but had no real attack whatsoever. Canada put in a far, far better game against the Germans. What I realized watching it was how superb the German defenders were. They have a skill level of most North American midfielders.

Watched the first half of the final.. the North Koreans weren't half as good as the Americans at soccer, but they were about twice as fit. You could tell their game plan in the first 20 minutes - play the game as fast as possible. Move the ball around the entire field at breakneck speed. They played one-touch moving the ball as far and as fast as posible, forcing all the Americans into back-to-back-to-back 50 yard runs, over and over and over. I was tired just watching it. Remember the Koreans train full-field 5v5. They were just trying to wear the Americans down so their fitness would let them have their way with them later in the game. Pretty coy tactic - and it worked flawlessly. The old Rocky Balboa.

Koreans are now back-to-back U20 champs.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the N. Korean registration numbers for youth football? I heard they take athletic 10 and 11 (or whenever) year olds and give them intensive football training. Then when they get older they put them in the army and the players and their families have a much easier time existing in a country that is on the brink of meltdown. (Anyone with the facts?)

No, don't have any hard numbers on youth players.

Most of the team, and the full women's team as well, play for the army (i.e. they are paid). The army also has the best men's team in North Korea. I would bet if anyone did a 60 minutes on them, people's jaws would drop. Something like the underage chinese gymnast factory.

They do well in youth, but when the women get older and the rest of the world plays by the same rules, the North Koreans have a pretty poor record in World Cups and Olympics.

Was an outstanding tournament w/ some great looks at the future of the Women's game & some of the players.

It will be interesting to see how the success of the top teams translates into their U20's & Seniors. For KDPR w/ both the U20's & 17 WC/s under their belt it's looking like a well developed program to feed into their Seniors.

Overall an exciting brand & level of the game w/ much promise for the future.

Archived