U17 World Cup group results

Vic

You can talk about big players and skilled players and green players, but I think you're wide of the target. At pretty much every tryout I've run, been to or seen in decades, the players almost always pick themselves. I have no doubt people want to argue that, and present their case or two where Sally got snookered, but I'm not really interested in arguing, just making a point. And that being that when you walk on a tryout field and take a team apart, people never fail to notice. And the only times I can think of where you do that and aren't picked it has to do with attitude, not size.

It's nice to throw a nice big black veil over programs and coaches, but I've never seen any of this. The kids that get picked are the ones who play the best. Period. There may be cases here and there of tomfoolery that any system has, but anyone trying to convince themselves otherwise is lost at sea.

Also, I'm not sure what regional and provincial teams people are referring to, because the one's I've seen have their fair share of small and spritely players. And the ratio I see is about what you'll see in an EPL game.

Let's face it we have been Viking-ized, but a lot of great teams all over the world have big targets and central defenders. The Mana's of this world play wide or in the middle. Yes, Mana would have been picked. The question is what role she would have played. And a lot of that is top-down.

As to being 15, underage players are all over the place. We have a player younger than that on our team in New Zealand. In the UK you cannot play 2 years over your head, and I think that's probably about right.

Rosenfeld has covered his bases? Why, because in an interview he mentioned they lost a couple of great players to injury and one to the U20's? Is that covering your bases? It's possible that he's just stating facts, but my guess is it's coaching 101 and he's just protecting his team and taking weight off their shoulders.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Final results:

Denmark 2 - 1 New Zealand

Longo scores for NZ in the 13th minute

Andreasen scores for Denmark in the 29th minute (seconds after NZ hit the post at the other end)

Olsen scores in the 56th minute

North Korea 2 - 1 Costa Rica

Y. Hyon Hi scores in the 16th minute

Rodriguez scores in the 20th minute

Y. Hyon Hi scores in the 66th minute

Final results:

USA 3 - 1 Paraguay

Rebeca FERNANDEZ (PAR) 32'

Cris Mabel FLORES (PAR) 48' Own goal

Vicki DiMARTINO (USA) 77'

Courtney VERLOO (USA) 83'

* the Paraguyan own-goal made it 1-1 until the 77th minute, where I imagine the U.S. conditioning took over the game

England 1 - 0 Nigeria

Jessica HOLBROOK (ENG) 79'

* Game stats are unbelievable:

England / Nigeria

Shots 2 / 20

Shots on goal 2 / 6

Corners 0 / 11

Actual playing time 18 / 29

Possession 28% / 62%

This will make for an unbelievable USA v. France game to see who goes through.

Japan gets 2 more - Kira a hat trick in 8 minutes!

Partial results:

Japan 6 - 1 France

Inoue (JAP) 11'

Augis (FRA) 16'

Kishikawa (Jap) 21'

Kira (JAP) 26'

Kira (JAP) 27'

Kira (JAP) 34'

Shimada (JAP) 38'

Brazil 0 - 0 South Korea

They've chased Crammer and Barbance to the bench... not so sure the strikers are the problem here.

Partial results:

Japan 7 - 1 France

Inoue (JAP) 11'

Augis (FRA) 16'

Kishikawa (Jap) 21'

Kira (JAP) 26'

Kira (JAP) 27'

Kira (JAP) 34'

Shimada (JAP) 38'

Kishikawa (Jap) 57'

Brazil 0 - 1 South Korea

Minsun (KOR) 47'

Japan hasn't scored in half an hour... I wonder if the coach told them to stop.

Final results:

Japan 7 - 1 France

Inoue (JAP) 11'

Augis (FRA) 16'

Kishikawa (Jap) 21'

Kira (JAP) 26'

Kira (JAP) 27'

Kira (JAP) 34'

Shimada (JAP) 38'

Kishikawa (Jap) 57'

Brazil 1 - 2 South Korea

Minsun (KOR) 47'

Hyunyoung (KOR) 57'

Raquel (BRA) 66'

And we are still alive! Pray we get some lucky bounces Tuesday...

Confederations

---------------------

Points per confederation, and average points per team:

4.8 avg - UEFA (6-1-1) 19

3.3 avg - AFC (4-1-3) 13

2.3 avg - CONCACAF (2-1-3) 7

2.0 avg - CAF (1-1-2) 4

0.7 avg - CONMEBOL (0-2-4) 2

- 10 of the 14 wins are from 2/5 confederations

- UEFA has won 6/8 games

- no South American team has won a game yet

Quotable Quotes

---------------------

Lewis Page, Canada assistant coach

We have to see the result as a point gained rather than two dropped. It leaves us in a decent position and although you're never too confident, we'd probably have taken four points from our first two games if you'd offered us that before the tournament.

Bent Eriksen, Denmark coach

It was a really exciting game and, although the crowd will be disappointed, I think they can be proud of their team and happy that they have seen some really good football. We were lucky to win this match but now we are in a good position and will try to beat Canada to make sure we finish as No1.

Dzsenifer Marozsan, Germany player

We weren't expecting to suffer quite so much but Ghana showed they are a very good side. On a personal note four goals in two games shows that I'm feeling really good out here, and a lot of that is down to the atmosphere in the stands. Scoring direct from a corner wasn't much of a surprise for me as I've done it three times before

Kazbek Tambi, USA coach

I guess relieved is the right word. We had a good gameplan today and were aiming to score a few goals, but unfortunately it took us a while to put away our chances. But I was really pleased with the kids that they didn't get discouraged. We're capable of beating France and that's going to be a great game.

Marcos Gaspar, Brazil coach

It's the first international tournament for all of these girls, so I'm hoping that it has all been a good lesson for them. In New Zealand we haven't been able to show the real Brazilian football; I tried to pick a more aggressive team today, because only a win would have really helped us. But that's football, losing is part of the game.

Felix Ibe Ukwu, Nigeria coach

Football is a game of opportunities, and we played well for 90 minutes, but didn't make the most of our opportunities. But I am confident for the game against Brazil, I have no fear. I know we will qualify, I am sure we will qualify!

Bonjour

Bon dimanche

Little paper in French:

France

''17 ans : la France s'écroule face au Japon

La sélection 17 ans a connu un très lourd revers face au Japon lors de la deuxième journée (1-7).''

http://www.footofeminin.fr/index.php?action=article&numero=381

angleterre

CM 17 ans : l'Angleterre en bonne voie

Le Japon rejoint l'Allemagne en quart de finale. L'Angleterre qui devra encore joué un match face à la Corée du Sud s'en rapproche à l'issue de cette 2e journée de la Coupe du Monde des moins de 17 ans en Nouvelle-Zélande

http://www.footofeminin.fr/index.php?action=article&numero=382

Allemagne

CM 17 ans : l'Allemagne qualifiée pour les quarts

Après seulement 2 matches, l'Allemagne s'est déjà qualifiée pour les quarts de finale en venant à bout difficilement du Ghana (3-2). A noter la deuxième défaite du pays hôte

http://www.footofeminin.fr/index.php?action=article&numero=377

Good points. Although the secret may be to have numbers back and a rock solid defense. If you get down and/or try and run and gun with a team like that, you're in a lot of trouble.

It will be interesting to see if they can keep the high standard and meet Germany in the final, or if they seize up in the quarters or semi.

What a GREAT tournament and what a great win for women's soccer. So many great players and personalities, teams and stories. You have to give FIFA credit for the positive step.

quote:Originally posted by president

If we are fortunate enough to have the privilege to play Japan, should consider playing with a sweeper. With their quick thru balls and skilful strikers verse our big and not so quick defenders, it’s a good idea to have someone back there covering those runs.

Play with a sweeper and they'll slice and dice us worse than they did the French.... numbers behind the ball for sure but if you even hope to play with them from what I've seen you need to smother their midfield not to give them even more space to exploit in the corners...

^ IMO playing with a sweeper against a team with this kind of skill and obvious speed on the wings just leaves them with too much space to exploit in the corners - that and makes it too easy for attackers to stay onside - if you think our defenders look slow now wait until you give the attackers a 3 to 7 yard running start... I think even if you look at the what the French tried to do defensively on a couple of the goals you can see where they exploited that space a sweeper creates playing behind the back line.

As you say our midfield may be a bit slow so your best hope is control them with numbers and organization - that or hope they show up late for the kick-off...:D

Our only hope, should we qualify out of out of the group stage, is that FIFA relocates and play the remaining games on the beach. That should negate any ball control,dribbling and the posession passing style played by the better teams (Japan, Germany, etc). Since we seldom pass the ball on the ground and our defenders and mids are big, slow and immobile we would have a distinct advantage over other countries.

Not only are the Germans big, but they don't play half the possession passing style as the teams who haven't won a game (Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Paraguay). Those teams probably want the beach. We're on 4 points from 2 games. Our defenders have given up 1 goal in two games.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Not only are the Germans big, but they don't play half the possession passing style as the teams who haven't won a game (Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Paraguay). Those teams probably want the beach. We're on 4 points from 2 games. Our defenders have given up 1 goal in two games.

Surely you are not questioning the merits of playing the posession game as it is played by every advanced soccer nation in the world. Some do play it more than others but every successful team does it to some extent (ie- string more than 3 passes in a row).

As any one of us that has followed the game, male or female, recognizes that it is much easier to win with brawn at the younger age levels. Even our boys do reasonably well at the youth level. Countries that are successful at the senior levels are the ones who develop players to play the game with skill and finesse.

Enough said.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, and Paraguay are loaded with skill and finesse. You also need athleticism, speed, motivation, mental strength, size (in the right places), tactics, and money. Lots and lots of money.

The way I see it, these four countries you mentioned have 11 players on the field while the rest have a "team" on the field.

Archived