U17 World Cup group results

Vic

We lost our semi-final 0-2 to Costa Rica in the Summer, before beating Mexico 1-0 to advance to the tournament. Right now, Costa Rica are 50 minutes into their opener against Germany and down 4-0 and outshot 16-1.

Denmark just evened it up 1-1 with Colombia, who scored 20 minutes in and enjoyed 61% of possession in the first half.

EDIT: Germans now outshooting the Costa Ricans 20-1 and have rattled the posts and the crossbar. The 2nd place finisher in our group will play the Germans. i.e. there really is only one team "advancing" out of our group...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Germany 5 - 0 Costa Rica

Shots 29 - 2

Corners 13 - 3

Offsides 1 - 2

Playing time 23 - 30 minutes

Possession 56% - 44%

"The question now is whether anyone in the group - or the tournament - can halt the German juggernaut."

"I'm obviously very satisfied but with all the chances we created we should have scored more goals," Ralph Peter, Germany coach.

Dzsenifer Marozsan (GER)

The Germany playmaker, a No10 in the traditional mould, marked herself out as a player to watch with a near-flawless showing in which her passing ability, set piece skills and technique all came to the fore. The 16-year-old also proved herself to be a genuine goal threat with two superbly executed strikes.

Denmark 1 - 1 Colombia

Shots 17 - 11

Corners 11 - 3

Offsides 0 - 1

Playing time 22 - 26 minutes

Possession 46% - 54%

"This was a considerably more low-key affair in which neither side really excelled.

Bent Eriksen, Denmark coach

We played a good match, especially in the second half, and created a lot of chances. It's only a pity we didn't score one or two more goals. I wanted three points from this match but I can accept one as they too had a lot of chances.

Pedro Rodriguez, Colombia coach

I can say that this match was David against Goliath because of the height difference between the two teams! My players did well but they need more experience against fast and physical teams like Denmark.

The first half belonged to the South American champions, who monopolised possession against a strangely cautious Danish outfit and went into the half-time break with a deserved 1-0 lead... It took Denmark until the second half to begin imposing their influence on the match and the Europeans' increased sense of purpose and adventure was rewarded within six minutes of the restart.

"At half-time, I just told the players to relax. They needed to start enjoying the experience of playing in a World Cup in this great country and, once they did that, I think everyone saw what we are capable of," Bent Eriksen, Denmark coach.

North Korea 1 - 1 Ghana

Shots 14 - 13

Corners 3 - 3

Offsides 0 - 4

Playing time 26 - 28 minutes

Possession 49% - 51%

Ghana had marginally the better of the first half, with Deborah Afriyie almost putting the Africans ahead on only three minutes, and Mercy Miles, Florence Dadson and Juliet Acheampong all shooting wide from distance in the opening period... Driven on by Jon's excellence in midfield, Korea DPR went on the offensive in the second period, and created a number of opportunities for themselves, only for the defiant Ghanaian keeper Mantey to deny them all.

Both teams had chances to snatch the points as the time ticked away. On 81 minutes, a header from Ho found the Ghanaian post, while at the other end, Patricia Dadson's left-footed free kick sailed over the bar after a foul by Hong just outside the area. A well-deserved first-up point for both sides.

There is something happening in Japan. Consider their women's team. In the Olympics they went down 1-0 to the gold medalists USA. But they also beat the hallowed Norwegians 5-1, who were ousted 2-1 by Brazil.

Of their U17 team:

"The Young Nadeshiko defeated traditional Asian powers China on the way to qualifying for New Zealand, and AFC Technical Study Group co-ordinator Kelly Cross was moved to remark on the great quality of coach Hiroshi Yoshida's fluent, technically superb team."

The Americans are now in deep. They have to beat not only Paraguay but France. And France will not be an easy task. With no wildcards, this group could end up with three 2-1 teams and see someone receive a goal difference heartbreak.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Believe it or not! Almighty U.S. fell 3-2 to Japan and England feasted 3-0 against Brasil. What is the world coming to? No question that U17 levels are different from adults.

I wonder if the success w/ Japan & England is something to do w/ development pathways to the Pro Leagues in these countries?

^ I love it.

^^ I believe Hooper made 6 figures or close when she played there 15 years ago, but I'm not even sure the L League in Japan is even a pro league anymore. Or at least it's a lot more off the radar than it was back when it was one of the only good options.

There are a lot of great U17 teams... Colombia and Denmark in our group are no slouches. France is very strong too, and look at Ghana pushing the North Koreans. And countries like Costa Rica and Paraguay who probably have ridiculously poor pathways.

And remember these are 16/17yr old girls. Their training would be pretty much universally irregular camps and regular participation in their own regional training centers... although in Japan I imagine the girls could train together year round (which probably has a lot to do with their success).

In England? They are doing so much on the women's side it's beautiful. Mostly regional training centers all over the country, but done with a high degree of excellence. And not just the tip of the iceberg like facilities and curriculum, but the base - absolutely stellar and quality coaching. And you have to remember in England no U17 player (male or female) is allowed to train more than an hour and a half travel time from their home. That's a lot of great coaching all over the country.

You could sense France was something by their qualifying record. They had 27 shots today too, almost hitting the German 29 mark.

I think the only teams in deep are Paraguay, the Kiwis, and South Korea. They're 0-1 and it only gets worse from here.

The rest will take another game to get a read on.

Bonjour

Les Françaises ont gagnés 6-2 sur l'équipe du Paraguay. Je n'ai malheureusement pas pu voir le match sur le net seulement sur un tracker de la FIFA.

Pauline Crammer a compté trois buts pour la France.Avec quelques années de plus, Pauline va faire des malheurs dans les surfaces en qualité d'avant-centre. Elle a un vrai sens du but et va beaucoup manqué à son équipe de St-Étienne pour les matches de championnat alors qu'elle est en Nouvelle Zélande.

Surprenants les 3-0 de l'Angleterre face au Brésil et la défaite des USA aux mains des japonaises japon 3-2 USA .

le classement dans chacun des groupes

http://fr.fifa.com/u17womensworldcup/standings/index.html

Crammer has had a great year.

-----

Soccer: Fancied US lose on day of upsets

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/under-17-fifa-womens-world-cup/news/article.cfm?c_id=1502778&objectid=10540305&ref=rss

The hotly-favoured Americans are in danger of not making it through to the business end of Fifa's Under-17 Women's World Cup after going down 3-2 to the classy Japanese in a group C thriller in Hamilton yesterday.

Continuing a day of upsets, Brazil, in the so-called group of death, were also upended, beaten 3-0 in front of a crowd of 10,795 at Wellington's Westpac Stadium by a fired-up England.

It has not been a great start for South American teams at the 16-nation tournament with Paraguay thumped 6-2 yesterday by the super-impressive French in the late game in Hamilton where both teams finished the match a player short.

With their 1-1 draw against Denmark on Wednesday, Colombia are the only South Americans with a point after the first round.

The Americans were given a dream start at Waikato Stadium when Vicki DiMartino gathered and added the final touch to a Cloee Colohan long throw after just three minutes.

Led by the inspirational Mana Iwabuchi, Japan then took control but it was not until the 32nd minute that she found the equaliser.

-----

It seems Japan's Mana Iwabuchi has had quite an effect on people. FIFA describes her as:

"However, the first half turned into something of a one-woman show, with Japan No10 Mana Iwabuchi, a skilful, beautifully-balanced player, using her low centre of gravity to carve out chance after chance for the impressive Japanese."

I just watched all the highlights... what a great 10 minutes.

Japan/USA

- 1st USA goal off a ball thrown massively right to the front post

- both American goals were gifts

- the Japanese goals were quality, some great strikes

- the Japanese could have easily had another handful, they hit the crossbar 3 or 4 times

Brazil/England

- Brazil look weak

- the usual brutal Brazilian embellishing

Nigeria/North Korea

- the first Nigerian goal is off the crazy train

- the Nigeria goalkeeper looked pretty fluid and capable

France/Paraguay

- the French were in cruise control... they looked like they were about as intense as walking down the beach

- they attack in waves, committing numbers fast and hard up the middle

- the French girl who got the straight red was harshly done by... I think seh got all ball and I'm not sure that would even be a foul in most men's leagues

- the French goal and Paraguyan defending at the 2:10 mark is something else

http://www.fifa.com/u17womensworldcup/video/videolist.html

I just watched all the highlights... what a great 10 minutes.

Japan/USA

- 1st USA goal off a ball thrown massively right to the front post

- both American goals were gifts

- the Japanese goals were quality, some great strikes

- the Japanese could have easily had another handful, they hit the crossbar 3 or 4 times

Brazil/England

- Brazil look weak

- the usual brutal Brazilian embellishing

Nigeria/North Korea

- the first Nigerian goal is off the crazy train

- the Nigeria goalkeeper looked pretty fluid and capable

France/Paraguay

- the French were in cruise control... they looked like they were about as intense as walking down the beach

- they attack in waves, committing numbers fast and hard up the middle

- the French girl who got the straight red was harshly done by... I think seh got all ball and I'm not sure that would even be a foul in most men's leagues

- the French goal and Paraguyan defending at the 2:10 mark is something else

http://www.fifa.com/u17womensworldcup/video/videolist.html

Japan is awesome!!! Very skilled & the USA wasn't really in it. Yep, the USA goals were gifts. Japan hit the wood so many times the USA got off lucky. I really like were Japan was shooting as youth coaches don't teach the kids enough to shoot from before top of the box.

Japan's Mana from heaven

http://www.fifa.com/u17womensworldcup/news/newsid=930437.html?cid=rssfeed&att=

"What a player! She's young - only 15, I think - but you can she is a future star of women's football."

These words, echoing the thoughts of everyone inside Hamilton's Waikato Stadium, belonged to France coach Gerard Sergent, and were devoted to Japan's brilliant No10, Mana Iwabuchi. Sergent had just watched the Young Nadeshiko playmaker provide arguably the outstanding individual performance of New Zealand 2008 to date, thrilling the Kiwi crowd and tormenting favourites USA with a display of grace, skill and cunning.

While Sergent furrowed his brow and pondered the merits of assigning a marker to follow Iwabuchi's every step this Sunday, her own coach, Hiroshi Yoshida, merely grinned when asked about his talisman, moving his hand quickly from side-to-side to symbolise her lithe, darting movements. It certainly didn't require Yoshida labelling Iwabuchi "my key player" to identify the 15-year-old's importance to Japan's cause, with the heavily-tipped Americans left to graciously pay tribute to a player hailed as "outstanding" by one crestfallen US star.

"I was actually a bit nervous beforehand," Iwabuchi told FIFA.com, "just because it was the first game and it was against a great team in the US. But we managed to play our own style against them and once I saw that we could do that, I became more relaxed and started to enjoy the match.

"It was a great one for us to win because my ambition is to finish top of this group. And to do that, we're going to need to keep on winning."

When prompted, Iwabuchi named Lionel Messi and Marta as the players upon whom she has modelled her game, and while comparisons with Argentina's darting genius and women's football's greatest talent are perhaps premature, the technical similarities are nonetheless too obvious to ignore. Like her idols, she also lacks in height, and while the 15-year-old would benefit from developing Marta's power and physique - at just 44 kilos, she is the second-lightest player in the entire tournament - she is already well capable of floating like a butterfly, stinging like a bee.

The truly saddest part is we may not even be able to see her play a game for another three years:

929327_full-lnd.jpg

And it's not just their women. Does anyone remember how insanely fast the Japanese U20 men were? We're over a year on and I still can't forget the speed the played the game at... it was that amazing. Pretty successful too - they beat Scotland, Costa Rica, tied Nigeria and were only ousted in penalties to the Czechs (who lost by a goal in the final).

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Japan's Mana from heaven

http://www.fifa.com/u17womensworldcup/news/newsid=930437.html?cid=rssfeed&att=

"What a player! She's young - only 15, I think - but you can she is a future star of women's football."

These words, echoing the thoughts of everyone inside Hamilton's Waikato Stadium, belonged to France coach Gerard Sergent, and were devoted to Japan's brilliant No10, Mana Iwabuchi. Sergent had just watched the Young Nadeshiko playmaker provide arguably the outstanding individual performance of New Zealand 2008 to date, thrilling the Kiwi crowd and tormenting favourites USA with a display of grace, skill and cunning.

While Sergent furrowed his brow and pondered the merits of assigning a marker to follow Iwabuchi's every step this Sunday, her own coach, Hiroshi Yoshida, merely grinned when asked about his talisman, moving his hand quickly from side-to-side to symbolise her lithe, darting movements. It certainly didn't require Yoshida labelling Iwabuchi "my key player" to identify the 15-year-old's importance to Japan's cause, with the heavily-tipped Americans left to graciously pay tribute to a player hailed as "outstanding" by one crestfallen US star.

"I was actually a bit nervous beforehand," Iwabuchi told FIFA.com, "just because it was the first game and it was against a great team in the US. But we managed to play our own style against them and once I saw that we could do that, I became more relaxed and started to enjoy the match.

"It was a great one for us to win because my ambition is to finish top of this group. And to do that, we're going to need to keep on winning."

When prompted, Iwabuchi named Lionel Messi and Marta as the players upon whom she has modelled her game, and while comparisons with Argentina's darting genius and women's football's greatest talent are perhaps premature, the technical similarities are nonetheless too obvious to ignore. Like her idols, she also lacks in height, and while the 15-year-old would benefit from developing Marta's power and physique - at just 44 kilos, she is the second-lightest player in the entire tournament - she is already well capable of floating like a butterfly, stinging like a bee.

Would Mana even get a look at a regional camp in Ontario .. let alone a birth on the National or Provincial teams ?

Seriously again we see a 15 year old stepping up and in Canada we have dumb club based rules that hold players back...from playing up as individuals.

Our problem is not our players its the mindset at the CSA, Provinces and clubs that does not see anything but big and strong in the selection process at U12, and by U14 no one else gets in on the system.

I tend to agree that small players don't get picked too often. They often are just late developers but because they weren't "identified" at 13 or 14 they get overlooked in favour of the females who had their growth spurt at 11 or 12. Often when the players are all 19 or 20 the "little" girls are bigger. (and better all around players too)

quote:Originally posted by Soccer9

Hopefully Rosenfeld (& the CSA)will see this first hand and then bring some changes back home in the scouting/selection process.

Keep on dreaming.

That will never happen as it would eliminate any excuse for not winning. It is much more convenient to say that we do not have enough technically skilled players (big or small) so we base our style and selection accordingly.

BR already covered his bases before the tournament citing injuries and lack of depth. I wonder how the reserves feel and how they will perform if and when called to duty.

Bottom line....there is no accountability within the CSA. I am convinced their philosophy is to not get embarrassed and as long as they are competitive (ie-no blowouts) everyone keeps their job and life is good. The law of average is that every now and then they will upset a team ranked higher and will milk that one to no end. And the cycle starts again.

Excuse my cynicism.....It is difficult to be optimistic after all these years.

Archived