Winnipeg groups look at pro soccer for city

Tonka

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/story/4241860p-4884887c.html

Winnipeg groups look at pro soccer for city

Jerrad Peters

Winnipeg Free Press

Remember the Winnipeg Fury?

What heady days those were. It’s easy to forget, but the now defunct professional soccer team once included the likes of Canadian international goalkeeper Pat Onstad, national team scoring ace Carlo Corazzin and former Winnipeg Blue Bombers place-kicker Troy Westwood.

In 1992, the Fury captured the Canadian Soccer League title. Only the Winnipeg Goldeyes (1994) have won a professional sports championship for the city in the 16 years since. Given the renewed interest in reviving professional soccer in Winnipeg – not to mention the disappointing performances of both the Bombers and Goldeyes – a local soccer club might be the city’s best shot at a championship in the next few years.

The Free Press has learned that at least three separate groups of investors are hoping to bring professional soccer back to Winnipeg by the start of the 2010 season. Whether they are admitted into the CSL or United Soccer League remains the only question.

“There have been a couple of serious inquiries regarding a CSL team in Winnipeg,” confirmed league commissioner Cary Kaplan. “Some former Winnipeg Fury executives are involved in discussions.”

The CSL’s expansion strategy calls for the introduction of a handful of franchises in Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Alberta and British Columbia by May, 2010. The league currently operates 11 clubs between Ontario and Quebec.

One of the investors is working with local consulting firm Hobbs International and has already been in talks with the USL – the same circuit that features the Vancouver Whitecaps and Montreal Impact. “They want Winnipeg,” he told the Free Press. “Winnipeg will have pro soccer here again.”

While two of the interested parties would be paying a franchise fee with private funds, one is contemplating the viability of public ownership. By selling 25,000 club memberships for $100 apiece, the group would raise $2.5million to hold in trust for start-up costs and operating expenses.

“Once our 25,000 member goal has been reached,” said a spokesman for the group, “we [will] vote on which league we enter… whether it be the USL or CSL.”

As Winnipeggers can attest, private ownership has its drawbacks. But with three potential ownership groups in the mix, a best-case scenario would see the two leagues go head-to-head in an attempt to sway a buyer and set up shop in the city.

Kaplan remains optimistic that the CSL will be the first to tap Winnipeg’s potentially lucrative soccer market. And he’s not wasting any time in moving forward.

“We will be having a conference call with a number of these individuals [this] week,” he said. “It is safe to say, Winnipeg would be included in any CSL expansion to a Western division.”

--------

I would much prefer to see them go the USL route. Preferably USL 1 to replace/strengthen the current Canadian content in the league. Not sure if this is beyond their means. What venue would they play out of? Is the Winnipeg Soccer Complex appropriate?

So did some of the Winnipeg V's take the initiative and approach these leagues with the idea of co-ownership we'd been bandying about earlier in the year? Or was someone else thinking the same thing and has beaten us to the punch on this one?

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

So did some of the Winnipeg V's take the initiative and approach these leagues with the idea of co-ownership we'd been bandying about earlier in the year? Or was someone else thinking the same thing and has beaten us to the punch on this one?

Re: Voyageur investment - Ha, I was thinking along the same lines when I read this :D. If it were to go forward, I think it would be tough to get 25000 memberships but at least you would be assured of a reasonable turnout at matches.

Few things.

1st. $2.5M? Doubt that. Only by pure dumb luck would you raise that sort of coin $100 a crack. Do think you'd be surprised how many individual, soccer clubs, pubs, and social organizations would be willing to sign on to the venture (at better than $100 to-boot!) but that's a lot of money to raise the long way around.

2nd. Venue remains a gigantic question mark.

3rd. I'm less cynical about the financial viability of a 1st Division side than some. But if we've learned anything we've learned "it" has to be done right and by right I mean professionally. Which of course translates into more expensive. But that's the only way. The right way or the bankrupt way.

4th. Putting on my moderators cap, this thread is redundant and in the wrong forum. For future discussion see here. Mods always get the last word.

Archived