Calgary fans unite

Jason

I have been brooding about the lack of soccer in Calgary lately, and with word of Winnipeg making progress towards a pro club, I think it's time we took things into our own hands. Here's what we should do:

Start laying the groundwork to solicit memberships for a soccer club in Calgary. Charge $50 for an annual membership which gives a vote, etc like the Sounders are setting up and Winnipeg is too. However, their dream of 25,000 memberships at $100 is too unrealistic. However, if we can raise $250,000 (5000 memberships) we could buy and operate a PDL franchise or maybe get in with the CSL -- the group would decide.

I know it's not a new idea, but instead of talking about it, let's just do it. I know there are a million logistical questions, but maybe we need to set up the membership structure first then figure out the rest once we start accumulating cash. It's a bit of a leap of faith, but $50 is your show of support for soccer in Calgary in general. If you don't like the direction it's going in, you don't have to stay as a member. It's hardly a big commitment.

I am willing to put my money and time into it. As the money starts to roll in, our credibility will increase. How about the Calgary based Voyageurs meet sometimes in November in person to discuss?

E-mail me if you want to want to help set up a plan.

Jason

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Jason. I've been staying out of the soccer loop for a few months, so sorry it took me so long to answer your clarion call.

I'll be glad to help out in any way that I can. Mind you, until the venue question gets settled, this is all a moot point.

I too avoid Facebook like the plague, so you'll have to update me on future developments. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by Cooks

Hey Jason. I've been staying out of the soccer loop for a few months, so sorry it took me so long to answer your clarion call.

I'll be glad to help out in any way that I can. Mind you, until the venue question gets settled, this is all a moot point.

I too avoid Facebook like the plague, so you'll have to update me on future developments. Cheers!

I will provide updates here from time to time. Our Facebook list is now at a whopping 18 members, but that includes a current MNT member. How he heard about the group is not known to me, but I think it's kind of cool.

Jason

quote:Originally posted by snake

anyone have a pic of the stadium where the calgary baseball team plays. burns field?

Here's a link to a decent picture of the baseball stadium:

http://mysite.verizon.net/charliesballparks/stadiums/ph/calgary2.jpg

It has not been renovated in any significant way recently, except that new seats were installed last season. A few years back, the soccer community wanted to take it over but the baseball community fought it. As long as there is a minor pro baseball club in the mix, I can't see that changing.

Jason

quote: Our Facebook list is now at a whopping 18 members, but that includes a current MNT member. How he heard about the group is not known to me, but I think it's kind of cool.

Jason

I had him on my facebook so I figured I would invite him to the group. Good to see him supporting our initiative. I believe there are some high profile soccer people around and we need to get them on board, would be nice if some players from the area are invited as well, perhaps Ed has some contacts ?

• 1 month later...

If you guys wanted pro football in Calgary, I think your best bet would be to contact this guy.

http://www2.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=e095f45b-c59d-4c3d-a9a4-b509244c6f08

We have posted about him before, but the fact that he

a) is local

B) owns part of a Premier League team

c) wants to expand his sports interests

d) is a well-known philanthropist (we all know that the pro soccer ownership is virtually philanthropy in Canada)

makes me think that he is the best shot you've got. Some Calgary V needs to become friends with this guy. You boys should be ringing his office everyday. The kind of money we are talking about for another USL or even CSL West team would be peanuts for this guy.

these are exactly the type of guys that I hope monopoli is talking to when he says the CSA is focusing on business development. they seriously need to attract a bunch of deep pocketed individuals to take on USL-1 franchises in places like Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Quebec City, etc.

• 1 month later...
quote:Originally posted by Jason

Here's a link to a decent picture of the baseball stadium:

http://mysite.verizon.net/charliesballparks/stadiums/ph/calgary2.jpg

It has not been renovated in any significant way recently, except that new seats were installed last season. A few years back, the soccer community wanted to take it over but the baseball community fought it. As long as there is a minor pro baseball club in the mix, I can't see that changing.

Jason

That can't honestly be the best Calgary can provide in the way of an outdoor field? Is McMahon entirely out of the question? What about the U of C or SAIT? I used to live in Calgary and I thought there would be more than the ball park to host a soccer team.

quote:Originally posted by ottawaguy2009

That can't honestly be the best Calgary can provide in the way of an outdoor field? Is McMahon entirely out of the question? What about the U of C or SAIT? I used to live in Calgary and I thought there would be more than the ball park to host a soccer team.

I would not want McMahon for various reasons. Lines on the field, too large, the field has an extreme slope (walk beside it at ground level sometime!), it is crumb rubber turf (not even the good artificial stuff).

SAIT has a field but no stands that I know of. Not much else with stands for the fans in Calgary.

McMahon is entirely out of the question. It is far too cavernous for the purpose. The new FieldTurf makes it much more viable from a playing standpoint than the old turf (many CUSA matches were played on it this season and the players thought it was quite good). Having said that, we saw what soccer in McMahon looked like when the Mustangs played there and it was just not a good fit. It's just too big.

If anyone ever stepped up and built a SSS in Calgary, that would be the only potential owner that I would bother believing had a chance with the game in my town. It would be the only sign of proper commitment, in my eyes. Nothing in Calgary is a suitable venue for the sport at the moment.

Archived