Last Game of 2008

tmcmurph

2-0 loss to an expansion team is a pretty fitting conclusion, IMHO.

The fans and the supporters groups have been developing into an even more professional operation than last year. Pity the front office couldnt have done the same thing. They will have to gut this team again before next year. Progress??

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

Well it didn't end the way I wanted it. KH did his foul in the box to seal it for San Jose.

Well they made some progress on the year but nothing spectacular. Next year is playoffs or goodbye MoJo!

Mo and Carver should be gone tomorrow in my opinion. I can't conceive of any valid argument for retaining their services based on their performance so far.

Forget waiting to see if we make the playoffs, if we don't have players in place by game 1 and get off to a good start Johnston should be fired. Carver not far behind either. I think they should be fired now, but this is MLSE we're talking about here. They only wait until it's a complete disaster to make some changes.

For anyone keeping score the expansion team had way more offensive weapons than we did (most of which not named Darren Huckerby) and controlled the run of play.

Well it didn't end the way I wanted it. KH did his foul in the box to seal it for San Jose.

Harmse was, as De Vos & Reed pointed out in the broadcast, the only player for TFC to show up last night. The error he made for the PK goal in injury time was a shame (and even then only came about after a SJ player danced past two of his fellow defenders with ease), but he gets marks from me for being the only guy who looked like he was really competing out there. Sutton I suppose also gave a good effort (it was forced upon him with so many shots) but he seemed a lot more shaky out there than normal.

Carver should have played more of the kids, as many of the fans had been calling for - they would have given more of an effort because like Harmse I suspect they had something they wanted to prove.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Harmse was, as De Vos & Reed pointed out in the broadcast, the only player for TFC to show up last night. The error he made for the PK goal in injury time was a shame (and even then only came about after a SJ player danced past two of his fellow defenders with ease), but he gets marks from me for being the only guy who looked like he was really competing out there. Sutton I suppose also gave a good effort (it was forced upon him with so many shots) but he seemed a lot more shaky out there than normal.

Carver should have played more of the kids, as many of the fans had been calling for - they would have given more of an effort because like Harmse I suspect they had something they wanted to prove.

I agree with your points, G-L. Harmse made some good interceptions/clearences and once again played within his capabilities though this diving into challenges needs to be corrected. I don't agree with all of De Vos's assessment of him, but Harmse can work hard in the off season and continue to improve as a CB. I think he looks far better there than as a midfielder.

I could tell you who the W(Worst)MOTM was: Ruiz. What a load of rubbish! Glad he was subbed.

As for playing the kids, I was left scratching my head with the start of Freeman at RB. Was Attakora hurt? I mean, Freeman appears to be headed elsewhere in the immediate future, why not see what Attakora can do with another start under his belt?

Why did I bother watching this game? I am starting to think that TFC might not even be the best team in Toronto. I have seen pickup games in GTA that were more exciting to watch than TFC games. This team (excluding Canadian players and few international players) truly lacks heart and is a disgrace to our city. Toronto soccer fans deserve better!

Fire Mo!

Toronto FC 2008

Wins = 9

Losses = 13

Draws = 8

Points = 35

35 out of 90 points (39%). An improvement over 2007 but with the revolving door of old players I don't know about 2009.

KH was good and as usual very aggressive. Those can be good qualities in a CB but his timing still lacks. Maybe he is just clumsy. Even the best athletes like KH can have a clumsy side. I don't know where I would play someone like that. I think he can be a good CD or D-mid in a 4-1-4-1. He is fast and aggressive so that can work for or against him. I'm sure he will get better by next year.

Ruiz? Subbed out when he was a sub says it all. Bye and don't let the door hit you on the way out. Here again we see TFC doing the old guy routine like with Cunningham. Yes they were very good but we need it now. Maybe they can get it back but at his price get 3 or 4 younger players and hope 1 of them works out.

With DD a question mark there is lots to worry about for the 2009 season.

KH was good and as usual very aggressive. Those can be good qualities in a CB but his timing still lacks. Maybe he is just clumsy. Even the best athletes like KH can have a clumsy side. I don't know where I would play someone like that. I think he can be a good CD or D-mid in a 4-1-4-1. He is fast and aggressive so that can work for or against him. I'm sure he will get better by next year.

Harmse has good straight line speed, but I don't see him as that quick in close quarters, so to speak. As a midfielder he had trouble staying with shifty opponents and that's why he's late on a number of challenges, drawing fouls. That said, I think an off season of focus for CB will prepare him for next season, unless Mo doesn't protect in the expansion draft.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Watch Harmse be the next Pozniak. Seems most TFC fans thought the same of Harmse as they did of Poz about a year ago.

Neither Harmse nor Poz are difference makers. If Harmse were to leave the team, I'd neither lose a wink of sleep or applaud it. He's a depth player at best, someone good to have hanging around but if he's a starter, the team has problems. he would have to improve TREMENDOUSLY in both skill and temperment to be a useful member of any team.

I'd rather see Nana get a chance to play CB (and he's still too young for too much responsibility, IMO) than Harmse. If they are serious about winning in 2009, Harmse is a bench player at best and they must go and find some real talent for the back line

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Mo and Carver should be gone tomorrow in my opinion. I can't conceive of any valid argument for retaining their services based on their performance so far.

hear hear. I've been saying it for months.

When TFC called me about renewing my season tickets, I asked my ticket rep to please put a note on Mo's desk letting him know I think he's a sorry excuse for a GM and asked that he leave my name and number on the note so Mo could call me back if he wished to discuss it. So far, I've not heard from Mo so maybe he agrees with me (or maybe he never got the note).

Archived