World Cup Futsal Finals - CBC

tmcmurph

I posted this on the World forum as well but thought some here might find it interesting. CBC tomorrow, World Cup Futsal Championship.

Nice to see that soccer is worth prime time (sort of). At least the international game gets coverage.

02:00 PM ET

FIFA World Cup Soccer on CBC: Futsal Finals

Futsal Finals - Location: Brazil

CBC Television

02:00 PM ET

FIFA WORLD CUP SOCCER ON CBC: Futsal Finals (Streaming)

Futsal Finals - Location: Brazil

Live on CBCSports.ca 1

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I saw this match live while I was in Asia last week. I urge you all to watch. Very entertaining stuff.

The best match of the tournament I saw was Italy v Spain in the semi-final. fantastic.

I have been following the WCoF on line and I am really looking forward to seeing it on the large screen in full broadcast quality. These teams really go at it intensely!

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

I have been following the WCoF on line and I am really looking forward to seeing it on the large screen in full broadcast quality. These teams really go at it intensely!

I have no doubt you are going to enjoy it tremendously.

I would love to see a promotor bring 4 of the top Futsal NTs (i.e. Brazil, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Argentina, Paraguay, etc...) into one of Canada's big cities and stage a "4 Nations Cup" tournament. If it was held in Toronto, I'd fork out money to watch all the matches. I think you could easily sell out the Ricoh Center and even possibly the Air Canada Center if you brought those top nations. It would be quite an event.

Guest Jeffery S.

For those who don't get to see quality futsal, Spanish league tends to be a bit different than the World Cup, as there is more tension and perhaps more defensive-minded play at the WC, no one wants to make a mistake. In league you tend to have more subs, more changes, more open play, and higher scores.

Saying this as it happens to be the strongest league in the world and we get games weekly on tv. As a Barça club member I can go free, unfortunately crowds are small for their matches.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Futsal is a bit too much like ice hockey for my liking.

WTF mate? Basketball perhaps but hockey?

Hockey-------Futsal

-------------------

Boards-------None

6 on 6-------5 on 5

3 periods----2 halves

Puck---------Ball

Sticks-------None

20 players---12 players

Maybe it is the on the fly line changes that have you in confussion ;)

That said it was good and thanks to the CBC for showing it. Let me edit the next one please. I don't need to see people drying the floor with a dust mop as much as I did today. ;)

If you want to see some complete games from the CONCACAF qualifiers they have them online

http://www.concacaf.com/competitions/futsal/

Commentary in Spanish but some great aggressive games.

quote:Originally posted by Desigol

Futsal should be championed by the CSA. Or maybe they're not bothered? :(

I am sure that there are some within the CSA technical dept that are big fans of futsal as well but there is the big issue of the CSA not being able to truly dicate technical policy to the provinces.

Some provinces promote arena soccer (with boards) because the facilities for this are abundant.

Some provinces have pockets of good futsal programs but its not widespread. Some clubs will play proper futsal, others will play hybrids, others yet will play in some of the new indoor facilities and will play 5v5 or 7v7 indoor on the turf.

There is no consistency.

I think the Futsal needs to be an integral part of the youth development strategy and not just in winter. The only other indoor version of the sport that I am ok with is small sided indoor soccer on turf. I'd like to see all clubs get away from arena soccer almost completely.

Archived