Canadian content on Canadian pro teams

jonovision

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

If the Impact can not compete week in and week out and the Canadian championship was a fluke, how do you explain our results in 8 Champions League games? Remind me again of the MLS record in Champion's League.

If the MLS teams had bothered to play their full sides, then perhaps their record would be better.

I'm not excusing teams like New England or DC United, as they only have themselves (and the league) to blame, but one cannot ignore that these teams sat their starters (in some cases leaving many of them at home during road matches) throughout the competition.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by michaeltfc91

Brillant i kind of like, hes quick and fast and very skilled, maybe he could be an exception. I havent seen Gervais play too much because hes been injured so I don't no.

The fact that Mo Johnston says he cannot sign Canadians because they are not good enough is definetly ridiculouss. 200 Canadians would be good for MLS and higher. Look at Will Johnson on RSL now in the semi final. He starts every game now and is doing spectacular but didnt play in any WCQ. TFC should defienetly be looking at more Canadian players even if they don't cut it at the national team.

Also Simon Gatti is hugely underrated. I've watched my share of TFC games and can't see how a hustling, physical and decision-making player like Gatti would be so out of place.

• 4 weeks later...

Whitecaps could be a lot less Canadian next year:

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/archive/feature12040801.aspx

Vancouver could struggle to retain its homegrown core - The Province

December 4, 2008

Full-time training not an option for some

Marc Weber

Whitecaps' officials crowed this week about Canadian content. They are, however, facing a Canadian conundrum.

Head coach Teitur Thordarson, whose side had eight internationals as regulars last season, said Wednesday that one of the reasons for signing defender Justin Thompson was his North Vancouver roots.

"He's from here and I think that's an important thing," the coach said.

President Bob Lenarduzzi made similar comments on Tuesday when discussing signing players in general, but no doubt the biggest question facing management right now is what to do with its current homegrown core.

Midfielder Martin Nash (Victoria) is the only local veteran signed with one year left on his two-year deal.

Defenders/midfielders Jeff Clarke (Coquitlam) and Steve Kindel (Burnaby), midfielder Alfredo Valente (Vancouver), defender Geordie Lyall (Victoria) and forward Jason Jordan (Richmond) are all in contract limbo.

There are 54 years of USL experience in that group, 52 of those with Vancouver, not to mention two USL-1 titles in the last three seasons. But the Whitecaps are moving toward a year-round schedule and could begin training close to full-time as soon as January, with a possible trip to Africa in February.

That's likely not going to be an option for championship-game starters Clarke, Kindel and Valente, who are all head coaches with local soccer associations. Jordan coaches too and Lyall is a substitute teacher.

"We are going through all these things at the moment," Thordarson said.

mweber@theprovince.com

© The Vancouver Province 2008

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

How and when did this occur?

Bobby and Teitur mentioned it to the media when they signed Thompson and re-signed Trafford. I think by lauding local players, they were doing some preemptive damage control for what might be coming down the pipe.

Apparently 2 out of the homegrown core have been cut but no word yet on who those players are:

http://forum.vancouversouthsiders.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2602

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Which says a lot about why we hear so much about our medical system.

Hahaha indeed.

I'll admit it is a clogged system, but I love it.

My cousin has went to install a defibrillator in her body 3 times, in 3 years. Those machines were supposed to last 10 years each, and they cost 40,000$ to install.

Our family is very glad we live in Canada where we don't have to pay near as much as 120,000$.

Although, even with out healthcare we would be looked after by the government, due to our origins but it's nice to know my white friends would be covered just the same.

• 10 months later...
quote:Originally posted by michaeltfc91

To be honest the only Canadians on Montreal and Vancouver that could play in MLS are Pizzolito, Grande and Nash. These would be weak starters. Then maybe a couple would be on the bench. MOntreal winning the Voyageurs CUp does not mean they can play in MLS. They would have to compete like that week in week out. Plus I do not think they'll get that lucky for a whole season ;)

So you think Barrett is your saviour .. seriously find a brick wall and bang your head a for few days, the Toronto team has talent but it also has far to many one trick pony's see Barrett et al.

TFC should have picked up Grande it might have given you guys a heart transplant when it was possible to keep the corpse going.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

So you think Barrett is your saviour .. seriously find a brick wall and bang your head a for few days, the Toronto team has talent but it also has far to many one trick pony's see Barrett et al.

TFC should have picked up Grande it might have given you guys a heart transplant when it was possible to keep the corpse going.

Do you know how to read??? What are you talking about

A) I never mentioned a word on Barrett

B) Didn't mention Toronto FC

C) Post was a year ago

D) When did I say Barrett was our saviour?

E) You bang your head against a brick wall and knock some sence into yourself

How the hell do you quote me on something and then not mention a thing about what I posted??

Anyways... good to see Toronto FC catching up... results were pretty close, hopefully that stays the same.

Boy am I sure glad that an update to a year old post on playing stats for TFC, Vancouver, and Montreal, has given these fans yet another opportunity to piss on each other.

In case you can't be bothered to scroll up a few replies, in the 2009 season, Vancouver are once again the most Canadian pro team in the country, by minutes played (42.1%). Montreal is second (39.2%) and TFC third (37.6%) (details)

• 9 months later...
Just past the midway point of this summer's seasons, none of Montreal, Toronto, or Vancouver are really setting the world on fire with their Canadian content on the field. All are roughly one third Canadian by minutes played:

http://oot-football.blogspot.com/2010/08/mid-term-canadian-content-report.html

To TFC's defense, their backbone and base is at least Canadian.

To TFC's defense, their backbone and base is at least Canadian.

This much is true. Also, Vancouver has gone much of the season with an all-Canadian central midfield (Nash and Bellisomo) while Montreal has given a chance to the largest number of Canadian players, and also hold a slight edge in percentage of minutes. Still, it's a slight disappointment compared to last year, when the numbers were around 10% higher overall.

I would add that Canadian content in the Impact squad is on the rise with the recent hires of Gerba, Ribeiro and Terminesi as well as the promotion of Kevin Cossette from the academy (PR Mayard should be coming back soon too). Gerba and Ribeiro have seen a good amount of playing time since their acquisition.

Archived