Canadian content on Canadian pro teams

jonovision

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

"By way of comparison with Toronto's 22.5% Canadian ratio in regular season play, the Houston Dynamo, with 2 Canadian players, had a Canadian content ratio of 14%"

too funny [8D]

oh and get back to your homework!

To be fair, if Harmse, Brennan and Sutton all play 90 minutes today, their overall Canadian content ratio should nudge up a little.

quote:Originally posted by Tractor Boy

Surely the top brass at TFC should give their collective heads a shake and realise that they might actually have some success if they have a more Canadian team.

you should give your head a shake.. clear out those cobwebs preventing clear thinking.

how does having a more Canadian team mean you'll play better?

TFC won and tied against Montreal in head to head competition.

TFC'd have more success if they didn't change the roster over every year, and if they had better players.

just signing canadians won't make them better.

for example, Braz and Reda sucked last year.

The amount of Canadians we have does not affect our results. We could have 25 junk foreign guys or 25 junk Canadian guys we'll finish with minimal points. We could field team Canada or World X1 and we'll finish with nearly maximum points. What matters is which Canadians we have on the pitch and guys like Reda Braz HArmse Lombardo do not cut it. Guys like De ROsario Brennan Serioux Hutchinson Radzinsky will.

quote:Originally posted by michaeltfc91

The amount of Canadians we have does not affect our results. We could have 25 junk foreign guys or 25 junk Canadian guys we'll finish with minimal points. We could field team Canada or World X1 and we'll finish with nearly maximum points. What matters is which Canadians we have on the pitch and guys like Reda Braz HArmse Lombardo do not cut it. Guys like De ROsario Brennan Serioux Hutchinson Radzinsky will.

Canadian players don't need to be a part of the NT to be good enough to play in the MLS or USL. Like morbital showed, the Caps and Impact are both successful teams with plenty of canadian talent and none of them are MNT players. What about Nash or Grande with your team ? You're acting like MoJo when you say yes to canadian players as long as they're in the NT lineup, implying all the other ones are inferior to other nationalities players. I'm sure you'll agree with me on that if you check the Caps' and the Impact's depth chart.

To be honest the only Canadians on Montreal and Vancouver that could play in MLS are Pizzolito, Grande and Nash. These would be weak starters. Then maybe a couple would be on the bench. MOntreal winning the Voyageurs CUp does not mean they can play in MLS. They would have to compete like that week in week out. Plus I do not think they'll get that lucky for a whole season ;)

To be honest the only Canadians on Montreal and Vancouver that could play in MLS are Pizzolito, Grande and Nash. These would be weak starters. Then maybe a couple would be on the bench. MOntreal winning the Voyageurs CUp does not mean they can play in MLS. They would have to compete like that week in week out. Plus I do not think they'll get that lucky for a whole season ;)

What about Brillant ? Also Gervais, when healthy, can do a heck of a job (also 11 caps with the MNT to his credit for your liking).

Brillant i kind of like, hes quick and fast and very skilled, maybe he could be an exception. I havent seen Gervais play too much because hes been injured so I don't no.

The fact that Mo Johnston says he cannot sign Canadians because they are not good enough is definetly ridiculouss. 200 Canadians would be good for MLS and higher. Look at Will Johnson on RSL now in the semi final. He starts every game now and is doing spectacular but didnt play in any WCQ. TFC should defienetly be looking at more Canadian players even if they don't cut it at the national team.

quote:Originally posted by morbital

what if you fielded nash, clarke, kindel, etc. would you still suck?

Um, yes. Why don't we stack our team with 30+ yr old career USLers, I'm sure that'll work well over the course of an entire MLS season.

quote:Originally posted by TFC07

I just TFC academy produces quality players ASAP because it is going to be hard to sign quality CDN players for minimum wage.

Why pay them only minimum wage? Surely there are Canadian players who would sign for Robinson or Ricketts money and give you just as much on the field.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Um, yes. Why don't we stack our team with 30+ yr old career USLers, I'm sure that'll work well over the course of an entire MLS season.

Mason Trafford, Luca Bellisomo, Stefan Leslie, Navid Mashinchi, Simon Thomas, Randy Edwini-Bonsu, Ethan Gage... all up and coming

quote:Originally posted by morbital

Mason Trafford, Luca Bellisomo, Stefan Leslie, Navid Mashinchi, Simon Thomas, Randy Edwini-Bonsu, Ethan Gage... all up and coming

I don't disagree with that, but you never mentioned those players at all in your original question.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I don't think that TFC's strategy should be to sign 30+ yr old USLers but I think the three above named players would have contributed a lot more to TFC than a fairly large number of their current players including several of the 30+ Euro/foreign players. I do agree that TFC's woes are not because of the number of overall crap players they have not because of the number of crap Canadian versus crap foreign players. However, I do disagree with the assertion put forward by the one most responsible for TFC's woes that you can't put a team on the field that is both better than the current lineup and contains a larger percentage of Canadians. TFC's problems are entirely due to not having a competent manager.

If the Impact can not compete week in and week out and the Canadian championship was a fluke, how do you explain our results in 8 Champions League games? Remind me again of the MLS record in Champion's League.

Archived