What is the typical ball speed of a hard strike?

Bill

Radar is sometimes used to measure fastball speeds in baseball (90 to 100 m.p.h. is quite common)

Have soccer kicks ever had their speeds measured?

I've heard it said Pele had the hardest shot. He could score from anywhere on the field.

Ss it possible to fire a ball at 80 m.p.h.?

Guest Jeffery S.

This is the hardest strike I have seen, or at least it felt like it was hard when I witnessed it. Koeman at 47 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KtCFD65lsY

I think this ball is quite hard as well, Roberto Carlos at 21 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZM9OFVpqC4

These happen to be two I remember the most as very hard shots from a certain distance.

Do all balls struck, whether by a bat, racket or foot, automatically decelerate from the first moment, I imagine they do but I wonder if there is an exception? When they measure a tennis ball, what are they looking at, strike moment, over the net, what moment counts?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Do all balls struck, whether by a bat, racket or foot, automatically decelerate from the first moment, I imagine they do but I wonder if there is an exception? When they measure a tennis ball, what are they looking at, strike moment, over the net, what moment counts?

I doubt for most sports any deceleration is significant. Perhaps given the size and weight of a soccer ball, and given the distances it typically travels, it matters, but I doubt for tennis it makes a difference.

Sporting Lisbon's Brazilian left-back Ronny "Homem-Bomba" (human bomb) Heberson holds the record, with a free kick against Naval that has been measured to be moving at close to 132 mph. Watch it at:

----------------------------------------------------

Other honorable mentions ...

http://blog.al.com/touchlines/2007/02/hardest_shot_ever_other_soccer.html

Hardest Soccer Shot Ever?

The hardest (fastest) recorded soccer shot in the English Premier League according to The Guardian Unlimited is 114 mph by David Hirst. While there is no official record The Guardian's staff used measurements from the Sky Sports Replay 2000 tracking machine to provide their Top Ten Hardest Shots.

The Top Ten in order:

1) David Hirst - 114mph (for Sheffield Wednesday @ Arsenal on September 16 1996)

2) David Beckham - 97.9mph (for Man Utd v Chelsea on February 22 1997)

3) David Trezeguet - 96mph (for Monaco @ Man Utd on March 19 1998)

4) Richie Humphreys - 95.9mph (for Sheffield Wednesday v Aston Villa on August 17 1996)

5) Matt Le Tissier - 86.8mph (for Southampton v Newcastle on January 18 1997)

6) Alan Shearer - 85.8mph (for Newcastle v Leicester on February 2 1997)

7) Roberto Carlos - 85.2mph (for Brazil v France on June 3 1997)

8) Tugay - 84.2mph (for Blackburn @ Southampton on November 3 2001)

9) Obafemi Martins - 84mph (for Newcastle @ Tottenham on January 14 2007)

10) David Beckham - 80.5mph (for Man Utd @ Derby on September 4 1996)

quote:Originally posted by Saviola7

I doubt for most sports any deceleration is significant. Perhaps given the size and weight of a soccer ball, and given the distances it typically travels, it matters, but I doubt for tennis it makes a difference.

Deceleration due to drag would be about the about the same for a tennis ball and a soccer ball struck at high initial speed (if you consider the soccer ball to be a rough sphere) around 18m/sec squared. (If you think the soccer ball is a smooth sphere, there would be no significant deceleration over the distances involved, but then you couldn't bend it.)

Over the 22 metres of a tennis court or of a shot on goal from just outside the penalty area, starting at 125mph the tennis ball would lose about 6 metres per second velocity and the soccer ball starting at 100mph about 10 metres per second. But at the average velocity in either case, elapsed time would be about .5 second.

For comparison, the reaction time to detect a stimulus and choose a response is about .3 seconds.

quote:Originally posted by Captain Spaulding

Deceleration due to drag would be about the about the same for a tennis ball and a soccer ball struck at high initial speed (if you consider the soccer ball to be a rough sphere) around 18m/sec squared. (If you think the soccer ball is a smooth sphere, there would be no significant deceleration over the distances involved, but then you couldn't bend it.)

Over the 22 metres of a tennis court or of a shot on goal from just outside the penalty area, starting at 125mph the tennis ball would lose about 6 metres per second velocity and the soccer ball starting at 100mph about 10 metres per second. But at the average velocity in either case, elapsed time would be about .5 second.

For comparison, the reaction time to detect a stimulus and choose a response is about .3 seconds.

You might also have to take into account that a tennis ball is hit downwards while a soccer ball has some upward vertical decelleration due to gravity. Perhaps this doesn't make much difference though...

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

Sporting Lisbon's Brazilian left-back Ronny "Homem-Bomba" (human bomb) Heberson holds the record, with a free kick against Naval that has been measured to be moving at close to 132 mph. Watch it at:

Other honorable mentions ...

http://blog.al.com/touchlines/2007/02/hardest_shot_ever_other_soccer.html

Hardest Soccer Shot Ever?

The hardest (fastest) recorded soccer shot in the English Premier League according to The Guardian Unlimited is 114 mph by David Hirst. While there is no official record The Guardian's staff used measurements from the Sky Sports Replay 2000 tracking machine to provide their Top Ten Hardest Shots.

The Top Ten in order:

1) David Hirst - 114mph (for Sheffield Wednesday @ Arsenal on September 16 1996)

2) David Beckham - 97.9mph (for Man Utd v Chelsea on February 22 1997)

3) David Trezeguet - 96mph (for Monaco @ Man Utd on March 19 1998)

4) Richie Humphreys - 95.9mph (for Sheffield Wednesday v Aston Villa on August 17 1996)

5) Matt Le Tissier - 86.8mph (for Southampton v Newcastle on January 18 1997)

6) Alan Shearer - 85.8mph (for Newcastle v Leicester on February 2 1997)

7) Roberto Carlos - 85.2mph (for Brazil v France on June 3 1997)

8) Tugay - 84.2mph (for Blackburn @ Southampton on November 3 2001)

9) Obafemi Martins - 84mph (for Newcastle @ Tottenham on January 14 2007)

10) David Beckham - 80.5mph (for Man Utd @ Derby on September 4 1996)

9 out of ten of the hardest shots in the universe were made in England. It is truly remarkable, I mean, that country never ceases to amaze me. Just goes to show what a bit of English training can do, and explains a lot of why English keepers seem so bad: they are actually facing harder shots than anyone else in the world!

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

9 out of ten of the hardest shots in the universe were made in England. It is truly remarkable, I mean, that country never ceases to amaze me. Just goes to show what a bit of English training can do, and explains a lot of why English keepers seem so bad: they are actually facing harder shots than anyone else in the world!

There's no way in the world that between the number 1 and number 10 there is a 30mph difference.

I think the Ronny link earlier in the topic is one of the fastest shots ever.

These two should be near the top as well..

Seedorf in the Madrid derby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poPo3YjwIfc&NR=1

Hugo Almeida in San Siro (I love the sound when it goes in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmVdGjRHiOs

I think those were the only ones available to them via Sky Sports. I'm sure there are plenty of harder shots. I would not want to be in a wall in front of any of them! [xx(]

10 yards with "Homem-Bomba" winding up I don't think the ref has to tell anyone to stand further back ;)

Archived