Impact personel changes: predictions? Thoughts?

Limniatis has said he wants another central midfielder, striker or two, and a natural right back. Also, some of the bigger performers may be offered MLS or lower division Euro deals (Grande, Gjertsen, Jordan, perhaps Brillant) and the team may be a little different in February. I hope they keep the core together but have been hugely impressed this season by up-and-comers like Jocqeuviel, Pesoli, and Gatti. We know Donatelli's sticking around. I feel Brown and Byers are fairly replaceable though as they are a type that isn't so rare. I wonder if Gerba is kicking himself now ... probably makes more $ though.

Who moves on to "greener" pastures, who sticks around, who would you want to come in?

I can't see Grande going. He's so proud of being a Montrealer and of playing for the Impact. I think Jordan likes it here and I don't think he would make much more money in the MLS...Same thing can be said for most of the players...The situation is good with the Impact, why would they go? (except if we release them)

quote:Originally posted by MastaK

I can't see Grande going. He's so proud of being a Montrealer and of playing for the Impact. I think Jordan likes it here and I don't think he would make much more money in the MLS...Same thing can be said for most of the players...The situation is good with the Impact, why would they go? (except if we release them)

I hope the same thing: that the experience and success has made an environment they don't want to give up for a paycheck and a move to English League 1 or the MLS.

Does anybody have a list of which contracts run out in January?

Grande is a key player to this team and I hope he sticks around. I thought Pesoli played great this year and unless he's homesick and has some offers in Italy, I hope he stays.

I think the key is keeping the Canadian contingent of the team here, but Brillant might be one who leaves. Between Di Lorenzo, Placentino and Brillant, they have 3 players suited to play on the left side of midfield. If Gjertsen leaves, then maybe Placentino can play in his spot and that leaves a spot for Brillant. But I think the Impact will keep who they want to keep, especially if they get an MLS team.

I think going in the next round.. there will be changes, but the emotional base needs to be kept in the players.. what is it that says the team that comes out of the Impact group is any weaker then who emerges from others ?

The number of games to come does not require as much depth as the campaign to this point, can Saputo find the right ones to make the team stronger and not blow the spirit ?

Gotta wonder if they will look to have someone other the Matt Jordan. the goal last night was something he should not of let in.... and a basic mistake.

Of course I like his connection to the crowd .. so a tough call.

Maybe this is the team of destiny and it should not be fooled with.. the team is now into the dark arts.. to know what is right.

quote:Originally posted by Montreal_FC_fan

Apparently Grande refused an offer from England so that he could stay with the Impact.

Well, the money in Montreal must be right for him or those offer(s) not without serious risks. Mind you, I think Grande is a very poor fit for many CCC sides and (without knowing better, just guessing) most lower division sides as well and I think he knows it to.

I think the Impact have to make a real effort to keep Grande & Gjertsen for sure, but easier said then done. Jordan? Probably a good move to secure him for '09 as well but I think there are lots of keepers out there who could settle in nicely on the Impact squad whatever it looks like next year, but still, why take the chance if you don't have to?

As much as I feel happy for the success Braz has enjoyed this year, he's not a right back for every occasion. Limniatis is spot on, a right wing back has to be on Montreal's shopping list. And darn close to the top of it as well.

I'm not sure MLS is much of a carrot to be honest with you. Not unless that carrot translates into dollars and cents for some of the Impact players. I think there's a very good core of players in Montreal who could/should be carried forward into MLS if for no other reason than to maintain the consistency & understanding within the squad. It would give JL comfort space and flexibility to tune around the edges if you follow me.

MLS is a pretty athletic league but also a perfect league for an "average" but astute footballing side to excel in if that side has a ringer or two who can be made to work within the structure of that unspectacular but stable foundation.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

I think going in the next round.. there will be changes, but the emotional base needs to be kept in the players.. what is it that says the team that comes out of the Impact group is any weaker then who emerges from others ?

The number of games to come does not require as much depth as the campaign to this point, can Saputo find the right ones to make the team stronger and not blow the spirit ?

Gotta wonder if they will look to have someone other the Matt Jordan. the goal last night was something he should not of let in.... and a basic mistake.

Of course I like his connection to the crowd .. so a tough call.

Maybe this is the team of destiny and it should not be fooled with.. the team is now into the dark arts.. to know what is right.

Jordan has been our best player all season. MVP. That was maybe his 2nd questionable goal of the entire season.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I think it is pretty obvious that we need a dependable striker and preferrably two of them.

Yeah but that's the endless plight of lower division teams: you can find guys that can play at other positions and forgive the odd flaw, but if a guy has finish, he has finish, and he's being payed money somewhere. Sebrango is a rare exception maybe. Even in the MLS real finishers are rare. (Hi Landycakes.)

About Jordan: http://uslpro.uslsoccer.com/recentnews/280289.html

Steele’s teammate Bill Gaudette came up just shy of finishing as the GAA Champion, an honor that fell to Montreal Impact netminder Matt Jordan with a goals against average of 0.760. Jordan was second in the running for the honor last season with an average of 0.648, finishing behind Portland’s Josh Wicks.

So no, it ain't a tough call. And as stated by Daniel, he seems to be already under contract (maybe his option year ?). But I agree about Braz. I went to the QF game against Seattle with my sister. Once we scored the go-ahead goal (the 2nd one), I told my sister: "Why does JL keep Braz in the game, he's like a delay-action bomb who can explode at any time". He had been booked once at that time. Then, JL made a sub on the defensive line but still kept Braz in. I then told my sister: "What is he thinking ? We are 11 against 10 and he's gonna f*ck it up by getting booked a 2nd time and then sent-off. So we're gonna play 10 vs 10 like it happened in the first leg in Seattle". Yeah, I've said it all... And guess what happened ? Braz sent-off on a 2nd yellow seconds after right in the penalty area. His ass was saved only because of the ref who called "a false start" on the 1st penalty (never seen that before). Then the 2nd one on the post and you all know the rest of the story. Braz's got some qualities (like the physical play for sure) but he can be so brutal at times...

So my shopping list includes a right wing back. And a good striker too. I think we should keep Brown or Byers to complete the striker pair as they're not that bad, but not that good too. IMHO, I prefer a little bit Brown, he seems to be much more a clutch player (at TO, at Tegucigalpa, yesterday again, etc.). I think we're OK in the midfield if we manage to keep Grande and Testo (I like Brillant too) in addition to the ones already under contract (see Daniel's post).

Finally, what are the chances of Pizzolito coming back in MTL next year ? I'd love to see him back here as IMHO he's our best back. It's a shame he wasn't selected as a finalist for the Defensive player of the year award. I think the chances are good but who knows ?

quote:Originally posted by the biologist

About Jordan: http://uslpro.uslsoccer.com/recentnews/280289.html

Steele’s teammate Bill Gaudette came up just shy of finishing as the GAA Champion, an honor that fell to Montreal Impact netminder Matt Jordan with a goals against average of 0.760. Jordan was second in the running for the honor last season with an average of 0.648, finishing behind Portland’s Josh Wicks.

So no, it ain't a tough call. And as stated by Daniel, he seems to be already under contract (maybe his option year ?). But I agree about Braz. I went to the QF game against Seattle with my sister. Once we scored the go-ahead goal (the 2nd one), I told my sister: "Why does JL keep Braz in the game, he's like a delay-action bomb who can explode at any time". He had been booked once at that time. Then, JL made a sub on the defensive line but still kept Braz in. I then told my sister: "What is he thinking ? We are 11 against 10 and he's gonna f*ck it up by getting booked a 2nd time and then sent-off. So we're gonna play 10 vs 10 like it happened in the first leg in Seattle". Yeah, I've said it all... And guess what happened ? Braz sent-off on a 2nd yellow seconds after right in the penalty area. His ass was saved only because of the ref who called "a false start" on the 1st penalty (never seen that before). Then the 2nd one on the post and you all know the rest of the story. Braz's got some qualities (like the physical play for sure) but he can be so brutal at times...

So my shopping list includes a right wing back. And a good striker too. I think we should keep Brown or Byers to complete the striker pair as they're not that bad, but not that good too. IMHO, I prefer a little bit Brown, he seems to be much more a clutch player (at TO, at Tegucigalpa, yesterday again, etc.). I think we're OK in the midfield if we manage to keep Grande and Testo (I like Brillant too) in addition to the ones already under contract (see Daniel's post).

Finally, what are the chances of Pizzolito coming back in MTL next year ? I'd love to see him back here as IMHO he's our best back. It's a shame he wasn't selected as a finalist for the Defensive player of the year award. I think the chances are good but who knows ?

All the full-time backs were great, Pizolitto, Pesoli, and I loved DiLorenzo back there too. Joqueviel played great too when called upon.

^ That's what I think too but I read some comments of him that said the deal wasn't done yet and "we never know what's gonna happen", so I was worried a bit. Sometimes great relationships don't end up the way they started.

Am I the only one who wants Braz to be replaced at right wing back ?

From within the organization or from outside ?

^ That's what I think too but I read some comments of him that said the deal wasn't done yet and "we never know what's gonna happen", so I was worried a bit. Sometimes great relationships don't end up the way they started.

I don't have too many complaints. He still brings a lot of intimidation and can make wing runs fairly well. Guys like that are always prone to the odd ejection on yellows because of their style of play.

Guest Jeffery S.

Could anyone do a calculation as to what the three home champions League games have meant economically for Montreal, in comparison to the costs of playing away?

Is it known if teams get cash benefits for group play points, as happens with the Champions League in Europe? Are there benefits from sponsors specifically for the competition? TV rights?

Usually you have a huge incentive in Europe as a modest club getting into Champions especially as the prizes and benefits make it worth your while to spend a bit more to compete more strongly. Not to mention the little gift of being like an Artmedia and getting the visit of some powerhouse you can charge an arm and a leg for, something that is not as likely in Concacaf--though I'd say if Montreal draw a big one, like Dynamo or even Cruz Azul, that wouldjustify a slightly higher ticket price. And the further they get, like in a semi final match, the more you should be able to charge.

What I am asking is if there is a benefit for Montreal to spend more to keep their core squad together, maybe by giving raises or bonuses and improving contract conditions, and add key players to it, so as to compete better in the continental competition?

quote:Originally posted by Keano

I don't have too many complaints. He still brings a lot of intimidation and can make wing runs fairly well. Guys like that are always prone to the odd ejection on yellows because of their style of play.

I agree with you on both points. I'm not a Braz hater. I like the guy but IMHO he looks like the weak link in the back chain.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.What I am asking is if there is a benefit for Montreal to spend more to keep their core squad together, maybe by giving raises or bonuses and improving contract conditions, and add key players to it, so as to compete better in the continental competition?

This summer has been HUGE for the Impact's profile (and respect) in Montreal. They don't have the strongest markting department and this has helped them greatly. If they can get 25-30k at the Big O in February for soccer, it would be a big story for Montreal. And the way they're playing, who's saying they can't get further into the competition.

Their season ticket base was 5,100 this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see it over 6k next season.

I love seeing braz play, he has always given it all for us, while some others haven't.

At this stage his tenacity and dedication are key.

Archived