Hey! Are We Starting To Act Like A Soccer Nation?

sting

Okay,

Have we taken a first step to being a real soccer nation?

Players have spoken up, people calling for the Coaches head,

newspaper articles, tons of posts on here.

This is the most attention to the National Team, I've seen in years.

I mean this is almost how real soccer Nations act.

Will this attention get the CSA rolling? I mean, I'm just as upset

as the next guy that we won't make 2010 but I'm pumped to see

that people are wanting change so much this time.

Do you think we will look back at this in 4-8 years from now and

say the 2008 failure lead to major changes and the National teams

new success?

There is more acountability towards the program and the system than there ever was before the internet age and the existence of pro soccer clubs etc. So thats good.

But another important advantage with greater scrutiny comes in the areas of officiating. I think that the "tree in the forrest" analogy applies when it come to officiating you get in international matches. If country A plays Country B and country A doesn't have much of mass following for the sport, the ref surely must know that a bad call against country A will be quickly forgotten and wont come back to haunt him. Wheres, if country B is known for its fanaticism for the sport, well everybody has a subconscience and I'll bet that such reff will make extra sure to be correct in his calls against country B. Think about how that pschologically influences the referee in those many 50-50 calls that he must make in game.

Thats why solid home side vocal fan support at games is important.

Archundia screwed up in 2004 but, who outside of the tiny minority here knows about it. Was there any mention of this when he got those plum assignments at the WC in Germany.

Overall, the support and following ( media and fans) was better this time and as far as officiating, I cant point to a critcal call that changed everything for us this time.

You know, the parallels between the CMNT and the Canadian Green Party are pretty striking (or maybe I just think so because the two events happened so close to one another).

Both have existed for a while on the fringes of the public's consciousness, but coming into 2008, it was believed that all of the pieces were in place and that unprecedented success was on the horizon. Then what? The Greens still have no seats in Parliament, we still got bumped out of WCQ before the Hex. But now, interest has built to the point where this short-term failure may in fact lead to long-term gain.

Much like the Greens' inability to win a seat has caused a groundswell of support for electoral reform, the disarray within the CSA is finally getting mainstream attention and identified as a reason why our men's nationally team perpetually underperforms. So now the public knows that if justice is to be done for these previously "fringe" pursuits, there is a need to enact fundamental change in the underlying systems.

There would be an interesting wager to take: which Canadian institution gets reformed first, our electoral system or our governing body in soccer?

quote:Originally posted by squizz

You know, the parallels between the CMNT and the Canadian Green Party are pretty striking...

Funny, I was also thinking of the Liberal Party:

1. Elected a leader/coach that few had confidence in but he was chosen to avoid selecting the other "bigger evil" option.

2. The leader/coach's platform was never supported or understood.

3. The party/team remains in turmoil, pointing fingers at each other, few seeing the bigger picture.

4. Both have a dire financial picture ahead, in relation to their competitors.

5. Both are likely to head into a similar situation with their next selection, despite wanting to correct the system from the bottom up.

6. The infighting is likely to continue. Real change is doubful in the near future, while the competition keeps getting stronger.

7. Both could use a few more Albertans. ;)

quote:Originally posted by David C.

Funny, I was also thinking of the Liberal Party:

1. Elected a leader/coach that few had confidence in but he was chosen to avoid selecting the other "bigger evil" option.

2. The leader/coach's platform was never supported or understood.

3. The party/team remains in turmoil, pointing fingers at each other, few seeing the bigger picture.

4. Both have a dire financial picture ahead, in relation to their competitors.

5. Both are likely to head into a similar situation with their next selection, despite wanting to correct the system from the bottom up.

6. The infighting is likely to continue. Real change is doubful in the near future, while the competition keeps getting stronger.

7. Both could use a few more Albertans. ;)

Ha ha, that could also work. Rene Simoes is Michael Ignatieff and the 4-5-1 is the Green Shift...

Guest speedmonk42

But another important advantage with greater scrutiny comes in the areas of officiating. I think that the "tree in the forrest" analogy applies when it come to officiating you get in international matches. If country A plays Country B and country A doesn't have much of mass following for the sport, the ref surely must know that a bad call against country A will be quickly forgotten and wont come back to haunt him. Wheres, if country B is known for its fanaticism for the sport, well everybody has a subconscience and I'll bet that such reff will make extra sure to be correct in his calls against country B. Think about how that pschologically influences the referee in those many 50-50 calls that he must make in game.

------------------------

I think the psychology of this goes even farther than the refs.

It permeates every level of the game.

Hello there again.

As some of you know, I am Mexican.

I was really looking forward to have Canada in the Hex. I did think they had a good chance to go to the world cup but, in spite of what the rest of the world says, Concacaf is becoming more difficult every day.

As for the question, I think Canada is a real soccer nation. In fact, every country that loves soccer is a soccer nation. I see little kids playing during the summer everywhere.

I live in Alberta and was really glad to see that Canadian supporters organized really well before the games so they could stick together. We normally do not have this degree of organization.

On the other hand, I could go and ask the Canadian NT for an autograph on my jersey and it felt pretty good, thogh I was by myself, nobody else in one entire day. These players play in Europe, some of them in Champions League and nobody knows when they will come back to Alberta and most people did not know whe they were. With the Mexican NT we were about 30 people at one time waiting for them for a pic or signature. All of this in Edmonton.

I believe Canada is on the right track. If more fans make themselves feel, then the media is going to turn to soccer. If soccer is a good business, it is going to draw attention, just like hockey does here.

Take care.

I think we are a soccer nation. The attention towards the top level is good for sure, and its increased this WCQ. Being a soccer nation isn't just attention. France was brought up here. Sport is really regional in France and before 1998 Les Bleu were important but not really the same as England or Germany. I think their popularity is greater now but still less than other nations. Success doesn't make a great soccer nation, (England and France about the same success, different intensity of support coverage etc...) it helps a lot though.

I think a soccer nation comes from those playing. It's an international language people either speak or don't. So when kids are playing in the summer like susantidadelpapa suggests. That makes a soccer nation. That's the future. Media coverage is just a reaction to the people. I don't want to look elsewhere for comformation of the validity of my status. FIFA can rank us but we don't have to listen.

Archived