Toronto FC Reserves vs Chicago Fire Reserves

Rocket Robin

Result of the Saturday October 18, 2008 MLS game between the reserves teams of Toronto FC and Chicago Fire played at BMO Field in Toronto at 6:00pm.

The game actually didn't start until 6:27pm because after the main game which ended at 5:42pm, the TFC players walked around the circumferance of the field to applaud all the fans. Nice touch just like last year! Security forces insured that there would be no pitch invasion this year. A few who tried were soon tackled by security.

The TFC lineup was:

.........18 Brian Edwards

29 Nana Attakora-Gyan...4 Marco Velez...3 Julius James...24 ????????

34 Daniel Nascimento...17 Joey Melo...15 Tyler Rosenlund...27 Gabe Gala

...........28 Johann Smith...7 Abdus Ibrahim

Subs: (that got into the game)

26 Derek Gaudet replaced injured Tyler Rosenlund in 1st half injury time.

8 Marcus Marshall replaced Johann Smith at halftime.

35 some curly brown haired guy replaced someone at 76 minutes. He may have been a CSL player like Nascimento as I think I've seen him before.

29 min...TFC Abdus Ibrahim GOAL...Fire Daniel Woolard made a bad header backpass from 35 yards to goalie Nick Noble and Ibrahim kept running forward to intercept it and rounded goalie at 15 yards and on right rolled sharp angle shot into left corner of open net.

38 min...Fire Dasan Robinson was knocked over in the TFC box by Julius James and the lady referee called a penalty kick.

39 min...Fire Andy Herron GOAL...Herron tapped penalty kick ball to right corner of net as goalie Brian Edwards dived to left side.

71 min...Fire Mike Banner GOAL...Fire Peter Lowry rushes on left and gets short pass to Banner and he shoots low 15 yarder over goalie into right corner of net.

78 min...TFC Julius James GOAL...TFC Joey Melo cornerkick from left has James chest ball in from 5 yards on left into short left side of net.

Final Score:.....Toronto FC Reserves.....2.....Chicago Fire Reserves....2....

Attendance started at 400 but dropped to about 70 at the end of the game plus about 30 on the west stands that were Fire regulars waiting for their bus and another section of suited guys. Many were friends and relatives of TFC. That's how I figured who to ask for the names of Daniel Nascimento and Marcus Marshall. The temperature was falling very fast and it was dark by the time the game ended.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

It looks like Nascimento has managed to catch the eye of TFC coaching staff. I wonder if he gets invited to training camp in the new year?

Who is this Marcus Marshall. I quick Google search turns up nothing other than an Academy player in the Blackburn Rovers system. Somehow i doubt its the same guy but Robin can confirm -- see link: http://www.rovers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/ProfilesDetail/0,,10303~44569,00.html

I wonder if the mysterious #24 was Mark Bendenikovic. He, like Nascimento, played in the previous 2 reserve games for TFC so maybe he got a 3rd callup.

thanks for the summary Robin.

Why even have a reserve league when they only play 8-10 games? They should add a reserve cup to extend the league at least another 6-8 games. MLS needs to SERIOUSLY address the youth and reserve set-up. Youth players developed in say the Real Salt Lake Y League academy should not be up for grabs by other MLS teams, and the reserve set-up should be for those basically u21. ADD MORE GAMES TO BOTH.

Why even have a reserve league when they only play 8-10 games? They should add a reserve cup to extend the league at least another 6-8 games. MLS needs to SERIOUSLY address the youth and reserve set-up. Youth players developed in say the Real Salt Lake Y League academy should not be up for grabs by other MLS teams, and the reserve set-up should be for those basically u21. ADD MORE GAMES TO BOTH.

Archived