Chicago v. Toronto FC [R]

VPjr

With any chance of qualifying for the playoffs hanging in the balance, TFC put on their best display in a long time, winning 3-2 in front of a very enthusiastic home crowd. 1st win at home in 4 months (is that possible?)

Scoring:

TOR -- Amado Guevara 4 (Chad Barrett 7, Jim Brennan 3) 12

TOR -- Rohan Ricketts 3 (unassisted) 18

CHI -- Justin Mapp 2 (Cuauhtemoc Blanco 10, Brandon Prideaux 1) 25

TOR -- Rohan Ricketts 4 (Carl Robinson 1) 47+

CHI -- Cuauhtemoc Blanco 7 (Brian McBride 2, John Thorrington 2) 59

Discipline:

TOR -- Danny Dichio (caution; Reckless Foul) 22

TOR -- Hunter Freeman (caution; Unsporting Behavior) 26

CHI -- Gonzalo Segares (caution; Unsporting Behavior) 26

TOR -- Amado Guevara (caution; Delaying a Restart) 31

CHI -- Bakary Soumare (caution; Reckless Foul) 66

good way to end the home schedule. Odds to make the playoffs are still very slim but there is still a small chance going into the last game of the season so that's the one positive that can be taken from this season (although it can just mean that so many teams in MLS are just as bad as TFC...that's a glass 1/2 full-1/2 empty type of scenario)

Saw the highlights..the Toronto goals looked brilliant. Congrats to you guys that have been cheering both teams this year, a tough tough year to be a fan - finally you get something nice to cheer about at the very end, not unlike the Canadian result against Mexico.

I believe its the top 3 from each conference go, and two 'wild card' places. As TFC cannot place in the top 5 in the East they are officially eliminated. The FC Dallas/ Real Salt Lake caveat was that if FC Dallas beat RSL and takes 3rd place in the conference from them it was still possible for TFC to finish about RSL, who would then be 4th in the West.

No offense to the original poster, as the match summary is obviously a cut and paste job, but how annoying is it to have a football match summary written like a hockey box score. It's bad enough to list assists, but to show the 'second assist'? What's that all about?

quote:Originally posted by SthMelbRed

No offense to the original poster, as the match summary is obviously a cut and paste job, but how annoying is it to have a football match summary written like a hockey box score. It's bad enough to list assists, but to show the 'second assist'? What's that all about?

No offense taken. I just copied it from the MLS site and posted it as I was running out the door to catch a flight.

To your point, you are so right...the American obsession with superfluous stats is annoying. The fact that they register assists as an official stat in the first place is a bit annoying but I can live with it. However, to assign a secondary assist, like in hockey, is just dumb. Yet another little thing I would like to see MLS change. Better chance of that changing than a real, significant bump in salary cap, methinks.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Someone help me jog my memory, has TFC missed every penalty they've had this season?

Damn, I hadn't even thought of that: Samuel v. Columbus, Guevara v. San Jose, and now Ricketss v. Chicago. Did I miss any? You should score on about 85-90% of your penalties. Toronto's inability could just be luck but it might also point to a serious technical deficiency or lack of ability to hold their nerve.

I'm gonna guess I wasn't the only one not very confident when Ricketts stepped up?

Hey, nice to see that Harmse continued with a steady display again at CB, even with the foul he took near the end. He's played within his strengths and limitations.

As I suggested elsewhere, maybe he has found his niche. With that, perhaps he should get some extra tutoring from De Vos over the winter to improve understanding of the position. He seems to be a coachable guy and maybe that could bring him to a new level for next year.

And if you are reading this, Kevin, I know I rag on you a ton but mine is a lesson of tough love: keep working hard in the offseason and make yourself a top notch CB in all areas of the game. You are still a long ways from winning me over, but I think you are making progress.

It has nothing to do with his nationality. Velez is just plain crap. If Carver had put Robinson back there and we looked just as good I would have made the same statement.

I should have added that another big improvement has been Dichio's return. This team always has better offense when he is in the line up. He may be slow as hell, but he plays his role well.

But in terms of defence, it has been much better without Velez, despite the other errors his replacements have made.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Because he is Canadian? :) He screwed up big time on one goal against NY away and was responsible for the late free kick at the top of the box on Saturday. Has done well overall but let's not get carried away. The main improvement recently has been up front.

I agree.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Because he is Canadian? :) He screwed up big time on one goal against NY away and was responsible for the late free kick at the top of the box on Saturday. Has done well overall but let's not get carried away. The main improvement recently has been up front.

agreed....I'm not sold on Harmse as a professional soccer player, no matter what position he plays but he does look more suited to play D than midfield, where his lack of any discernable ball control skills makes him a huge liability.

The main improvement has definitely been finishing. These guys have found some confidence up front. Defensively, they are still more than a little shaky.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

agreed....I'm not sold on Harmse as a professional soccer player, no matter what position he plays but he does look more suited to play D than midfield, where his lack of any discernable ball control skills makes him a huge liability.

You have hit the nail on the head about his skillset for midfield, but he could be a guy who, with enough specialized coaching, might find a place as a CB. You never know, right?

^ anything is possible. If the coaching staff values him enough to invest the time and effort required to make him a viable CB option and he embraces the instruction, TFC supporters might actually have some reason to be optimistic about the future prospects for the team's back 4.

I'm not one of those people who detests Tyrone Marshall. I think that he's been far from stellar this year but he's also been teamed with an incredibly poor player for most of the season and he's had to try to cover up for alot of basic, shchool boy errors which has made him look out of position far too often. It bothers me that Marshall is a poor passer of the ball out of the back but he's a fairly decent MLS defender. I never fully understood why Brennan was moved away from CB. He's not a great defender but he is better than Velez and I think Dunivant (before the injury) would have been more than good enough to play LB.

Toronto is going to have to really do a lot of work shoring up their D, no matter what they decide to do with Harmse. It seems likely they will lose Wynne and I'm not sure that Nana is ready to fill those shoes quite yet as a full time player. They'll need to add significant depth to this team in the offseason.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

^ anything is possible. If the coaching staff values him enough to invest the time and effort required to make him a viable CB option and he embraces the instruction, TFC supporters might actually have some reason to be optimistic about the future prospects for the team's back 4.

I'm not one of those people who detests Tyrone Marshall. I think that he's been far from stellar this year but he's also been teamed with an incredibly poor player for most of the season and he's had to try to cover up for alot of basic, shchool boy errors which has made him look out of position far too often. It bothers me that Marshall is a poor passer of the ball out of the back but he's a fairly decent MLS defender. I never fully understood why Brennan was moved away from CB. He's not a great defender but he is better than Velez and I think Dunivant (before the injury) would have been more than good enough to play LB.

Toronto is going to have to really do a lot of work shoring up their D, no matter what they decide to do with Harmse. It seems likely they will lose Wynne and I'm not sure that Nana is ready to fill those shoes quite yet as a full time player. They'll need to add significant depth to this team in the offseason.

All the players used at CB this year have been very poor with their passing skills out of the back, Wynne not much better, Brennan the best of the bunch (though I thought his first half performance in that department was really poor vs the Fire).

I was under the impression last year that Brennan mentioned he liked being at CB? Thought I read that somewhere.

Archived