Is it too late for USL-2 expansion in 2009?

michaeltfc91

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Victoria United will NOT be PDL this season, Victoria United will continue in the PCSL. A new club called Victoria Highlanders has been created way out in the suburbs of Victoria to play in the PDL.

Yes and No, From what I understand the Highlanders will now be playing at Uvic, and they now are working with Victoria United.

^ Typical BC politics from what I have heard. The plan was to build it where velodrome is now; however, now the cyclists are up in arms and West Shore Parks and Recreation are looking for a new plan. The city are trying to find the funds to save the velodrome, and build the stadium beside it. I have also read that West Shore Parks and Rec are looking at Hull's Field sports hub again. Thats all word of mouth though, so I don't know what is the full truth. I have heard from a pretty reliable source that the new usl club were in talks with both Uvic and the City of Victoria (RAP). But the city screwed them and are bringing in a semi pro baseball team instead to Royal Athletic park, so that would leave Uvic. I have been assured that they will be allowed to sell beer there though

quote:Originally posted by Tractor Boy

Surely Ottawa need to test the support if they have submitted a bid to the MLS

It's really not relevant. If you use historical attendance to decide on MLS expansion, Toronto would've never been considered. Their previous USL attendance had been abysmal over the years. Besides, Ottawa has a PDL club already that doesn't get any support.

Ottawa better hope this isn't a big factor (and it won't), because if it was, Montreal and Vancouver are so far ahead of them.

Jason

quote:Originally posted by michaeltfc91

How about the Toronto Lynx being rumored to go to USL-2 as Hamilton in 2009????

I've hear that rumour but I don't know how accurate it is. If it were to happen in 2009, you would think that more would be said about right now. Also, what happens with the Academy and the PDL side? Would that remain in Toronto or would that move out to Hamilton too and would that hurt their ability to attract players to the program, which has been pretty successful?

how about the lynx been moved to a USL-1 team in hamilton. or even better how about Hartrell and the lynx stay playing PDL in toronto where the rest of their organization is(Y-League, W-League, Super League teams). A USL-1 team in Hamilton would be a great sucess with an owner who does things right like Bob Young, owner of the Tiger-Cats and now part owner of the Carolina Railhawks of USL-2.

Look for a CSL team in Hamilton next season though. I was told there are two different groups interested.

quote:Originally posted by Jason

It's really not relevant. If you use historical attendance to decide on MLS expansion, Toronto would've never been considered. Their previous USL attendance had been abysmal over the years. Besides, Ottawa has a PDL club already that doesn't get any support.

Ottawa better hope this isn't a big factor (and it won't), because if it was, Montreal and Vancouver are so far ahead of them.

Jason

The Ottawa PDL team usually gets between 300 and 500 fans for it games which is a pretty decent level of support for PDL.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Except that the more likely final would be Caps vs. Impact!

Except there is no 'final' in a round robin format, and regardless, Vancouver always underperforms in the V-Cup.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

The Ottawa PDL team usually gets between 300 and 500 fans for it games which is a pretty decent level of support for PDL.

That's more than I thought. It's decent, but the attendance of the Fury really will not factor in their MLS bid.

Jason

Archived