Canadian expansion team(s) join WPS ???

lolita

Bonjour

Hello,

My English language is not very good. If you have no objections, I express in French language.

Combien couterait une équipe Women's Professional Soccer au Canada ?

Pourquoi il n'y a pas une seule équipe WPS canadienne ?

7 équipes toutes américaines pour avril 2009, et future expansion Atlanta, Dallas et Philadelphie en 2010 mais aucune ville canadienne...

Pourquoi nos grands clubs comme les Toronto FC, l'Impact de Montréal et Vancouver Whitecaps n'ont pas présenté de demande pour obtenir une concession de la WPS?

Y a t-il des problemes entre la CSA et l'association américaine United States Soccer Federation sur l'obtention d'un Team WPS au Canada ? des problemes légaux ???

je ne sais pas. Je ne sais plus. Déception.

J'ai été déçue que la Women's Professional Soccer n'envisage pas une équipe au canada.

vos opinions :)

Mon francais est mauvais, mais je vais essayer explique. C'est un bon question. Toronto FC est la meuiller franchise dans le MLS, est les equipes Canadienne en le USL font tres bons. Je pense c'est parce que beaucoup de jouers habites est joues en L'Etats Unis.

It is an American league run by Americans. Their first priority is to American cities. Some leagues start with teams both in Canada and the USA, but many do not.

APSL, first season 1990, first Canadian team 1993 (4th season)

USL W-League, first season 1995, first Canadian team 1999 (5th season)

USL (men's outoor), first season 1989, first Canadian team 1997 (9th season)

MLS, first season 1996, first Canadian team 2007 (12th season)

CFL, first season 1958, first US team 1993 (36th season)

NBA, first season 1946, first Canadian team 1995 (50th season)

MLB, first season 1876, first Canadian team 1969 (94th season)

NFL, first season 1920, 89 seasons and no Canadian teams.

They announced from the beginning they were only going to startup with American cities. But that said, I'm not sure how hard anyone went after them. Seems logical to presume the Mexicans will be looking to do the same thing with their women's players also.

Left out this one:

NASL, first season 1968, first Canadian team 1968 (1st season)

I'm sure that if Canadian investors came up with enough money we would have a team. I would bet that priority #1 is to make some money, #2 is probably to develop (improve) the U.S. women's national program. The priority for developing the Canadian Women's program is probably in double digits.

We have used the NCAA to provide the bulk of our player development so far so why not let the Americans continue to do so.

^

There is a rumour that a Canadian WPS proposal was part of a package from an interested group that was turned down by the CSA. The 4 year program included the WP (Women's Program) from U17 to Seniors in various sub-programs that funneled up to the WPS Canadian Team.

The interested group was to cover the majority of the cost of $2.5M over 4 years. The CSA was asked to cover ONLY $600K over that period or their usual $150K per year to the WP Seniors.

quote:Originally posted by AlanDouglas

It is an American league run by Americans. Their first priority is to American cities. Some leagues start with teams both in Canada and the USA, but many do not.

NBA, first season 1946, first Canadian team 1995 (50th season)

The Toronto Huskies were one of the 11 teams that took part in the inaugural 1946-47 BAA season.

http://library.thinkquest.org/04oct/02061/historyofNBA.htm

This hits most of the numbers I think you're looking for:

quote:

They probably won't be getting rich, though. WPS officials have been mum on players' salaries. But they almost assuredly will be less than those of Major League Soccer players. The median 2008 MLS salary is $61,273.

"I expect it to be pretty small," Woznuk said. "I definitely think that's going to be a sacrifice we make."

Franchise owners will also make sacrifices at the outset. They will sustain losses for several years, Antonucci said. How long it will take to turn a profit will vary by market, she said. Annual operating expenses, which includes player salaries, will range from $2million to $3million. Not all franchises have secured a home venue, and several teams will play in college facilities.

The league expects each team will draw a minimum of 4,000 to 5,000 spectators a game, but some are projecting as many as 8,000, Antonucci said.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2008/09/soccer_standouts_hope_fortunes.html

quote:Originally posted by Richard

The Whitecaps have more than once publicly expressed interest in fielding a WPS team.

Yes, I was wondering if the interested group was the Caps MLS group of Nash, Mallett & Kerfoot.

Reason is the program had residency camps for competition phases & long term residency camps for university age players to funnel into both the Women's Program (U17 - Seniors) & the new WPS team.

Evidentially the CSA turned the interested group down as the CSA said they have no Seniors coach & didn't have sufficient time to ponder the idea.

Archived