Dobson's Post game blog....

superbrad

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/10/16/dobson_canada/

Hat's off to Dobs for having the "frank" discussions with us. That is what was so great about the post party at the pub - we all talked soccer as fans (players included) and as Canadians. We all want the same thing. We need to work harder to lobby for fundamental change. Part of the solution lies in our hands.

Too little, too late

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Gerry Dobson Archive

And so now we're more frustrated than ever.

Yes, because of the performance again. Frustrated because the best we've seen yet comes when it's too late. It comes in a game where Canada's vaunted midfield is a patchwork of journeymen, some of whom were playing out of position. It comes in a match where Canada's most dangerous attacker is 34-year-old Tomas Radzinski playing the best football of his life in the twilight of his career, playing like a little kid with a smile on his face.

And it all came on a brisk October evening in Edmonton with millions watching in Mexico, as this game was televised live on the two largest TV networks in the country.

This campaign has shown that we have far to go, and yet, a game like this one might muddy the waters a bit leading some to believe we are close.

But those in the middle of it know otherwise. Despite what many of you believe, there are some progressive thinkers within the CSA and they are adamant that preparation for 2014 begins now.

Sacking the CSA is not a viable option. If you know anything about the sport, then you know that FIFA would simply suspend Canada if there is any outside interference. To think otherwise is naïve. We've seen FIFA's act before. The CSA is not blameless for this debacle. Yet neither are the players nor the coaching staff. It was a collective failure.

What we need is for soccer fans across the country to hound and badger their district and provincial officials into backing the national program. It's the provinces who make up the association after all. But too many of them don't give a hoot about the World Cup. They have personal, regional and provincial agendas.

But who actually speaks for Canada? I can tell you that some of the suits at the top definitely do. Peter Montopoli and Victor Montagliani to name a couple of them have had their hearts ripped out, just like you have, by what's transpired over the last few weeks. But they won't give up.

Dale Mitchell? He's likely gone. Here's hoping they don't rush into making a knee-jerk decison and hire the wrong guy.

Many of the players are gone too. 2010 was the one for many of them. It was funny and a little weird after the game to see players, supporters and some CSA executives all in the same watering hole. Everyone was solving the soccer problems in this country with their own voice at the same time. There were Voyageurs. There were TV people. There was beer. Plenty of it.

Maybe it was the best frank discussion we've had about the state of the game in a long time or maybe our judgement was clouded just a bit.

Gerry hits at many, if not all, the notes that I have been getting at for while.

1) He called the "Sack the CSA" types naive. I think that he is being polite and that he is actually pulling his punches here. And he correctly hinted that change of some sort is need in terms of focus but that change must come from within.

2) Then he added: " This campaign has shown that we have far to go, and yet, a game like this one might muddy the waters a bit leading some to believe we are close". That again is very accurate and you can add those results against Brazil over the years to that list along with the GC win. But here I have to blame people like him and Craig Forrest for fueling some the things we have heard like: " we are too good to lose", " we underachieved",... etc . We are better team when we play like an underdog team rather than thinking we are favourites.

3) It was indeed a collective failure.

With regards to the FIFA issue, the government could very easily dismantle the current structure, replace it with something other than a bunch of church moms chatting in the basement kitchen, and then move away from any influence or control over it, without FIFA having a fit. Besides, if recent moves are anything to go by, FIFA would chicken out of any serious action anyway.

Or am I being too naive/simplistic/wishful?

Gerry Dobson wrote :

“It's the provinces who make up the association after all. But too many of them don't give a hoot about the World Cup. They have personal, regional and provincial agendas.”

And we could say the same about the regional associations that lead some of the provinces. And perhaps continue in all the (too much) structures we have bottom.

What happened then with the Crawford report in Australia? They did a review of their association amongst allegation of corruption and incompetency and then a report recommended a new federation be created. I don't believe Fifa ever intervened against the Crawford report and Australia. What Fifa is against is day to day meddling of a government in an association for political reasons not a fundamental reviews and recommendations by an independent panel appointed by the government.

You will never be able to change the CSA from within. I agree with Ben Knight that the organization's structure of governance which is the problem. No matter how much good will within the organization is to change it will be impossible to change or change in the future as a result of its archaic and political structure.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Gerry hits at many, if not all, the notes that I have been getting at for while.

1) He called the "Sack the CSA" types naive. I think that he is being polite and that he is actually pulling his punches here. And he correctly hinted that change of some sort is need in terms of focus but that change must come from within.

And what makes you think that "change from within" wasn't the goal of the "naive" Sack the CSA types?

As a few have stated, I think Gerry has missed the mark on his CSA analysis. The problem is structure and governance. Yes, FIFA would object to the government of Canada unilaterally taking over. But, that is an irrelevant discussion. The government would never do it. What the government could do - persuasively if they wanted to - is precisely what they did in Australia. Demand strucrual changes and insist on modern and useful governance. The CSA won't do this by themseleves...the existing board would all be out of their positions. But, if the government pulled its funding, things might have to change.

quote:Originally posted by David C.

I don't know how the whole system is setup but it sounds like the issue is whether the CSA (national programs) can be completely separated from the provincial associations, instead of being run/controlled by them.

People keep talking about separating the National/Elite levels from the Provinces (grassroots). As long as the majority of the CSA budget continues to comes from youth player levies, I can't see that happening....

quote:Originally posted by SF

As a few have stated, I think Gerry has missed the mark on his CSA analysis. The problem is structure and governance. Yes, FIFA would object to the government of Canada unilaterally taking over. But, that is an irrelevant discussion. The government would never do it. What the government could do - persuasively if they wanted to - is precisely what they did in Australia. Demand strucrual changes and insist on modern and useful governance. The CSA won't do this by themseleves...the existing board would all be out of their positions. But, if the government pulled its funding, things might have to change.

I think it's worth pointing out that Sports Canada grants -the only type of so-called "government funding," made up only 7% of the 2007 operating budget at $1.7m. This may be slightly misleading, due to the U20s, but at the end of the day, membership fees are still more than three times the revenue of such grants. Cutting this funding is not that much of a threat.

<Sighs heavily> Gerry...have you been asleep for the past 13 months? The Sack the CSA intiative was quite successful in embarassing the powers that be by unleashing unprecedented scrutiny of the CSA and we have seen measurable, tangible, if halting, progress by that organization towards becoming a competent, professional FA. Oh yes, they have a tremendously long way to go, and hopefully, the sack the CSA movement will continue to hold their feet to the fire to keep that movement going. If they do, the Sack the CSA movement may become the single most important event in Canadian soccer for the past 3 decades.

Peter Montopoli and Victor Montagliani may have had their hearts ripped out by the results, but up until recently, they were part of the problem... (edit...as I posted I realized that I confused Montopoli and Maestracci...Montopoli obviously not a part of the problem in th epast)

I have been muted in my criticism of the CSA over the past year, in large measure because they have been saying - and not infrequently actually trying to do - the right things. We have seen unprecedented cooperation with supporters groups and we have seen unprecedented efforts to address the concerns of players. Neither perfect by any means, but a start - and yes Gerry, a first. We have seen the hiring of a CEO who might actually have the connection and the impetus to increase revenues and he actually seems to have a mandate to do so. Seems a long way from the Nykamp/Simoes fiascos doesn't it? It would be naive to suggest any of this would have happened without "Black Wednesday". Not given the preceding decades...

No Gerry, the Sack the CSA venture was not naive, and it shown a light on the cult of impotence which engulfs Canadian soccer (and many of its fans). Only some of that shroud has been pulled away, but here's hoping that it was the tug that unravels it all. So Gerry, leave the cult and sing it with me...Sack the CSA, sack the CSA, sack the CSA, sack the CSA, sack the CSA!

I'm pasting this from another thread because I this is doable.

-----------------

To borrow from the probable future President of the USA

Yes We Can!!!

The time to initiate change is now. We are done for 2010 and we have the maximum time to 2014.

This is not about changing the MNT Coach (He should be let go). This not about firing the CSA Directors (because currently we don't have the power to do that). And this is not about hiring Canadian or foreign coaches (although we can learn from them).

Many here have pointed to the need for change. The most common answer we hear is that we can't. It's either about money or the structure of the organization of Canadian soccer or just plain lack of talent (coaches and players).

The fact is the time is to get creative to overcome these challenges.

In my view, there are three key issues that need to be addressed:

1. The limitations imposed by the current CSA budget.

2. The quality of coaching in Canada.

3. The lack of accountability of the CSA.

I'll start by tossing up some of my ideas. I challenge others to throw up ideas as well. The CSA is clearly bankrupt of ideas (and maybe money too). If something doesn't get started from outside the Canadian Soccer establishment, we will go through this again in 2012 (qualifying). Heck,Paul James is already saying it will take 12 or more years. I disagree strongly with Paul James. But things need to change to do that. Here goes:

1. The Limitation imposed by CSA Budgets.

The CSA appears to be controlled by the national sports association mindset as opposed the global soccer mindset. As a result, we see this constant throwing up of the hands and saying we have no choice. I don't not believe the opportunity to get money is as dire as the CSA makes it. It is my view that the attendance and popularity of the 2007 U20 WC is as responsible for the sudden increase in interest in MLS franchises in Canada as the success of Toronto FC. Unfortunately, changing the mindset at the CSA requires a bottom up approach. Perhaps, we need to focus on building strong alliances with local clubs rather than focusing on the CSA. After all, we need to convince them that it is in their interests that we have a well-managed national association. Without the support of local clubs, we are flighting an uphill battle. Professional clubs should also do more to create linkages with these clubs.

Why local clubs? Well, they have direct access to the source of talent. They also have better access to their communities and those with money.

2. The Quality of Coaching in Canada

There will not doubt be debates about who should be the next Coach of the MNT but since we don't get into WCQ again until about 2012, I suggest that we have more pressing issues than finding a new Coach for the Men's National Team. My view has always been that we need to focus on improving the development of players from 14-20. By extension, that means we need to find ways to improve the coaching these players can get inside Canada and outside professional academies. I am talking about raising the overall talent level of this age group and the overall level of soccer IQ at the local club level.

From my experience, the bigger and better organized amateur soccer clubs have a number passionate and dedicated amateur coaches. Unfortunately, the opportunities to improve their player quality depend on the coaching knowledge available and the local financial conditions. We can't change the local financial conditions but I feel there are more opportunities to help coaches get a better level of appreciation what they need to aspire to if we look creatively. Somehow, advanced coach development needs to be broadened. The CSA and provincial associations will say that they don't have any budget.

The CSA and the provincial associations tend to assume that they are the authorities in Canada on coaching and that they have the exclusive networks that can improve coaching talent. I believe that it is precisely this arrogance that holds back coaching development.

OK here's an idea and using myself only as an example. First as background, I have been involved in coaching youth soccer from 1984 to about 2003 and been fairly regular here. I've not been involved locally since 2003 because of lack of personal time and because my children are no longer involved. Compared to other Voyageurs, I am probably a little older than most. My key point is that there are many others on this site and many involved with youth soccer across Canada that have networks that need to be activated for the cause. While I don't doubt that our associations have networks, I would argue that the soccer networks lying dormant in this country are almost criminal. Myself, I have met more ex-national team players from other countries living in Canada than I have ex-Canadian national team players. I have always wondered how we can get those new Canadians more involved in soccer in one way shape or form. As for networks, I am sure that many here that are no more than two or three degrees of separation from some high level professional clubs around the world. Personally, I can think of a connections to a number of clubs that fit the bill for me. I am sure that my example is multiplied more than 100s of times over across Canada. And it sits on the sidelines because our National and Provincial associations are too concerned about holding onto power.

Without getting too specific using myself as an example, what if you offered a program to U16 coaches across Canada that would pay, airfare, accomodation, and food for a two month excursion to Brazil. Each coach would be assigned to different participating clubs as an amateur assistant to that club's Copa Sao Paulo (U19) team. By going in early December the Canadian youth coach would be involved in preparing that club's team for the tournament that takes place in January. During the tournament, they would continue to be involved with the team and have a seat on the bench with the team to observe just how these top Brazilian youth coaches work the field and their players. There are youth coaches in Brazil that have English language capability so I'm sure that a number of placements are possible. As for why these clubs would participate, many clubs would welcome having another set of hands and eyes to assist with the preparation. The key learning for these coaches is seeing first hand what serious youth development and competition looks like. I am confident that this experience would change their perspective. I haven't even thought about my European and African networks.

Again, I am sure there a number of others out there that would activate their own soccer networks if approached in a respectful way by those currently involved in administration of the sport here. The most important point is to encourage activating these networks rather than dismissing them out of hand as those in power in this sport are quick to do. Keep in mind that it was Eddie Edgar's connections to Newcastle United that brought David there and not the OSA nor the CSA.

3. The Lack of Accountability of the CSA

This is the most challenging change that needs to happen. I don't think blowing it up is an option. Neither is leaving it as it is.

We need to begin by asking the question, who is the CSA accountable to? In my view, the CSA is accountable to the people of Canada and more specifically, Canadians that care about soccer. This is where all the problems with the CSA emanate from. If the CSA is clearly held accountable, then I am certain that those with money would be more willing to invest in the future of the national team and soccer in general.

So how do we improve accountability to the people?

Again, I believe we need to build this from the bottom up and then improve the chain of accountability. First, all local clubs need to re-examine their constitutions. I believe constitutions of these clubs need to allow for supporter members. The mandates of the clubs also need, in addition to their current purpose, to have some reference to raising the quality of and the profile of soccer as a sport in the community they serve and Canada as a whole. Membership fees should be the same for all wanting to be members of that club. Note that I am not saying that clubs should stop doing what they are doing now in offering recreational soccer to the community. I am suggesting that the local club should be the door through which people locally can use to get involved in the sport of soccer without necessarily having children involved or be involved in administration or coaching. This may open up sources of money, networks, and sources of management talent. Using my own example, I would be very interested in having a membership in my local club without actively being involved in administering the club.

The second and equally important piece of this approach is that local clubs should be able to qualify for direct membership in the CSA if they meet certain membership criteria. Maybe this would be based on a threshold number of members and a membership fee to the CSA. While not a huge amount, this would provide the CSA more funding but with direct accountability. It also allows all of us frustrated fans a way to get involved and who knows, there may be some of us that might actually get more involved with the sport again locally. While I suspect there would be some resistence to this, the fact that there might be money in it might actually push the CSA to change their constitution to allow this. Also with enough pressure from powerful clubs, it might actually work and also reduce the grip that provincial associations have on the CSA.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

What exactly do you expect from the host of Soccercentral and the play by play announcer of the CMNT? He wasn't going to bite the hand that feeds him. I think you are seeing what you want to see.

It seems that the guys at Sporstnet are defending the CSA, I wonder whether they have been instructed so by the CSA brass. Both soccer blogs are stating that cannot change CSA. We have to be satisfied with what we have got. Bull****. I much prefer Ben Knight's blogs cause he doesn't have contract with the CSA.

hat needs to be done here is. Have the players revolt and not play for the current CSA. They would play for a new organization that would have a specific mission of elite soccer development and sending Canada to the World Cup and no other goals. No wish washy goal of participation or mass registration. The new organization would not be about Provinces or Provincial Reps etc, but about clubs that were in the business of producing top athletes.

Elite soccer clubs that wanted to join the new organization could. Have a small board of directors that would be directly elected by the members of the different clubs. If you have a grievance then the board would know that they in the future would be accountable to that member unlike the current CSA set up.

Perhaps some clubs such as pro clubs or national team members would have more votes.

The old CSA could still be involved in recreational soccer. The new CSA would represent the National Teams and the elite clubs. The old Csa can keep their dysfunctional system.

We need to have the players on board such that they will not play for the old CSA and would welcome to play for a restructured organization that had as its core a mission of development of elite soccer and the success of the national teams. Also they would play for an organization that had a simple and democratic structure and a smaller more focused board of directors. There would be a CEO and a small board.

Archived