Canada - Mexico game thread

jpg75

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooooook.

4AM here, class in a couple hours.

FINALLY I WATCHED A CANADA GAME AND REMEMBERED WHY THE FU*K I ACTUALLY ENJOY SUPPORTING THIS TEAM.

IT WAS GRITTY, WE WERE HARD WORKING AND WE ACTUALLY MANAGED TO CONTROL SOME OF THE PLAY!!!

HOOORAAAYYY!!

It just doesn't make any sense, how does Canada play like this with Pozaniak and Harmse in the line-up, and look so disjointed with Tiba and JDG???

GREAT F*CKING GAMES BY STALTERI, RADZINSKI AND HASTINGS. VETERAN WARRIORS!!

Well done boys, well done.

(Mitchell still needs to go haha)

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

I guess our problem earlier in the campaign is we were playing with de Guzman and De Rosario in midfield, instead of Kevin Harmse and Chris Pozniak. What was Mitchell thinking?

I laugh because it keeps me from crying.

quote:Originally posted by Wilfrid Laurier

We have to get Harmse out of there. I can't tell all that clearly on the stream but most of the giveaways seem to be from his bad passes or getting caught in possession.

Geez, I'm usually the first guy to get on his case, but I think he's done okay, particularly in the last quarter of the match. Hey, he's limited, but considering the space that's been available at least he's trying to switch the flanks with his distribution. He's made some interceptions and one really good tackle, though that late foul could have made him a goat.

I'll give him some props for his efforts instead of my usual harangue. Granted, the bar is low but he seemed to exceed it tonight.

The Mexicans can count themselves very fortunate tonight. This could & should have been 4-1 Canada tonight - a Canadian team missing its entire starting midfield & a couple of other key players with nothing to play for. They didn't deserve their first goal & they were extremely fortunate that Stalteri & Radz didn't score on those other two plays.

Mexico's winless streak against Canada outside Mexico was extended tonight. Oh, what might have been.

Frankly I liked the foul at the end. Caught 'em with his head down going over the middle.

Also the Mexicans gave us a TON of room in the midfield late and its too bad we didn't capitalize on the chances we got off of it. I hope they cover it in the paper tomorrow (because there was nothing this morning about the game).

the goal from Gerba certainly helped, but these guys wanted to prove something and felt no real pressure, and that combination can be magic for a team.

We did not play with the same brio and guts and willingness to pop a shot--what a blast from Diesel!--in the earlier games because we felt too much pressure. Our guys feel that they MUST win in order to build a fan base in our country when the only reason they must win is to win. Plain and simple. It is our job and the CSA's job to build fan support. (Correction: It is our job to battle the CSA to build fan support for our team. The CSA is too damned busy building support for Mexican and Brazilian fans, twats.)[xx(]

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet in this thread, but Hirschfeld was excellent tonight as well.

Atrocious distribution and not very good positionning on the goal (I think someone said it earlier int he thread, he was in some kind of no-man's land).

For the rest, he made that huge save in the first half, a very good punched out (taking Hastings out) right at the end and was did well to handle everything that came at him.

Not excellent but good.

quote:Originally posted by theaub

Frankly I liked the foul at the end. Caught 'em with his head down going over the middle.

The more I think about the more I liked it. Not a bad foul since I prefer that 40 yards out FK to 3 mexicans coming on a breakaway at our defense. No way we get beat twice on that FK unless we are very unlucky....

We certainly showed some grit! I think we really started getting stuck in after the DeJong incident! Looks like the players were as pissed as I was! We are who we are and possibly a more direct defensive strategy would have worked better in some of these games! Someone mentioned before "how many players do we have that the opposition really doesn't want to play against"? Tonight we had 4 or 5!

Great game for Radz and true strike by Gerba. It's really killing me that we wont have any meaningful games for a while. I guess we'll be lining up for friendlies with Martinque again.

I'm very pleased with this performance but part of me is still disappointed we didn't win this one. We've got the talent and the skill but we're last in this group for many reasons.

Very sour grapes on my part but I'm so f-ing pissed that El Salvador is going to be in the Hex. No fault of their own by any means but a real fault in the this three group third round (luck of the draw is so important) setup.

Archived