Canada - Mexico game thread

jpg75

I harp on Harmse because I don't think he's MNT quality, but he earned his props tonite and earned a little respect.

Radz, what more can I say than this guy is everything I love about Canadian soccer, gives everything he has if it was'nt for his short hiatus from the MNT this guy would have been even more of a legend. I think I share everyones opinion when I say a big Thank You for his service and tireless work for team Canada.

All the guys gave their all today, and I thank them. I think having 2 forwards made a real big difference and we probably should have been playing that formation for the entire campaign, we just were'nt countering and pressuring opposing defences enough.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fact is, the Mexican's don't like cold weather and I think that made them play poorer and us look a lot better. We also didn't have the same pressure on us, and perhaps that meant an improved performance from our depleted team as well.

Which again points to what Canada really needs, sad to say - to get more high-level big-game experience to handle pressure or a coach that can work psychological wonders on them.

I could complain about the poor marking on the second goal tonight, but why bother. Well done to all the players, they wore the jersey with pride tonight. They worked hard, fought for each other, played to their capabilities and got screwed by the refs. I can accept a performance like tonight anyday of the week.

Fact is, the Mexican's don't like cold weather and I think that made them play poorer and us look a lot better. We also didn't have the same pressure on us, and perhaps that meant an improved performance from our depleted team as well.

Which again points to what Canada really needs, sad to say - to get more high-level big-game experience to handle pressure or a coach that can work psychological wonders on them.

I could complain about the poor marking on the second goal tonight, but why bother. Well done to all the players, they wore the jersey with pride tonight. They worked hard, fought for each other, played to their capabilities and got screwed by the refs. I can accept a performance like tonight anyday of the week.

Stalteri - Harmse - Bernier - De Jong (Pozniak)

Are any of these even in the top 6 or 7 players that you would include in a 4-man midfield if everyone was available? Well done to these guys.

And is Klukowski suspended for the Jamaica match? If so, he should be congratulated for being Canada's most consistent performer in qualifying. (You could choose Radz, but he missed almost 2 matches).

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

<and got screwed by the refs.

Agree with your post 100% but this part. The ref was pretty good tonight, he made 2 bad calls on the first 2 goals.

Ali Gerba clearly handled the ball on his control. No doubt and my replay machine agree ;)

De Jong is foul but the ref gaves the FK to the Mexicans.

But overall, good game by the ref.

quote:Originally posted by gator

Yes villus, they did do us proud, and I share your opinion about playing two strikers! This all comes down to coaching and not playing enough friendlies! We really should have been able to adapt better!

Agree, I liked what I saw with 2 strikers in our last 2 games.

Ironically, for the Hart supporters, there's no indications that we would've played with 2 strikers if he had coached the team because in all the game he coached we played with a lone target man.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

And is Klukowski suspended for the Jamaica match? If so, he should be congratulated for being Canada's most consistent performer in qualifying. (You could choose Radz, but he missed almost 2 matches).

I would say Serioux, even with the missed match.

I don't know about Hainault at CB, but I certainly like it better when we have Serioux at RB and Stalteri in midfield than previous configurations. I don't know if Stalteri is done for Canada (I'm sure he'll keep coming if called -- he doesn't get to play anywhere else), but I hope he's seen the end of his RB days. I don't mind him in midfield as much; he gets a better pay off from his good work rate.

My thoughts as well. I'm pleased that we got a super effort from all the players but apart from a few instances it was a performance based on graft that was perfectly suited for the conditions and situation.

I'm happy for the effort tonight, but I don't feel inspired for the longer term. Playing away in Jamaica with the same starters/subs and I could see us getting blown out just as easily.

quote:Originally posted by marktci

I would say Serioux, even with the missed match.

I know there are many here that like Serioux, but I have a serious problem with him, 1. he plays much with the ball and doesn't release until someone comes and steals him and 2. all those little mistakes he does like that poor throw in that he send to the mexican as Christmas gift

The Impact win with a few guys that were deemed not good enough for the MNT and we play arguably our best match of the 5, with a core of lesser rated players, what does this say to you guys?

That the Impact were playing against players at levels lower than many of the internationals we played against, and that we were relaxed and had nothing to play for while Mexico were tense having to take 3 points in colder weather?

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

My thoughts as well. I'm pleased that we got a super effort from all the players but apart from a few instances it was a performance based on graft that was perfectly suited for the conditions and situation.

I'm happy for the effort tonight, but I don't feel inspired for the longer term. Playing away in Jamaica with the same starters/subs and I could see us getting blown out just as easily.

At the same time, all the teams in this region use their climate to their advantage, so fair is fair. Imagine what might have been if the qualifying ran from October to February, or if we got our home games at the end the way Jamaica is doing.

Jamaican fans should be furious at the Ref tonight - I expect them to beat us in Jamaica as well but they will have to win by a heck of a lot to pull ahead of Mexico on goal differential should Mexico lose to Honduras in Honduras in the last game, which is distinctly possible.

We have yet to be shut out in the 5 qualifying games. We have 6 goals scored to Jamaica's 3 but yet they are now up to 7 points and a very realistic chance of going to the Hex.

Canada has allowed 10 goals. It's not hard to find where it's all gone wrong. Defense used to be our strong point. I'm worried that we won't have enough strength in the back line in 4 years time. I'm not sure why we didn't see Jakovic out there tonight even for 20min.

I don't think I want to see Hastings out there against Jamaica. Edgar and ,or Jakovic must be given a serious look in November. I won't mind seeing Serioux again though.I still think he can offer something as we make the transition to the younger guys.

As for the game. Yes I did enjoy it. Especially watching Radz putting on a show. My pride has been restored.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Ali Gerba clearly handled the ball on his control. No doubt and my replay machine agree ;)

Funny because my replay machine clearly says otherwise. Granted it looks close but I don't see any contact and the fact that none of th Mexicans raised their hands to appeal standing next to him would also support this. If there was there was no way the Ref could see it from his position (he was behind Gerba) so you'd have to blame the linesman.

However the foul on De Jong he could see perfectly, and I'm mystified how he could have thought that was a foul against De Jong.

The Impact win with a few guys that were deemed not good enough for the MNT and we play arguably our best match of the 5, with a core of lesser rated players, what does this say to you guys?

We replace Hutch and De Guzman with Harmse and Bernier and we look a better team. Who would of thunk it? Looking back at the first 3 matches and and you have to wonder if the pressure to carry the team was too much for Atiba and Julian.

Funny because my replay machine clearly says otherwise. Granted it looks close but I don't see any contact and the fact that none of th Mexicans raised their hands to appeal standing next to him would also support this. If there was there was no way the Ref could see it from his position (he was behind Gerba) so you'd have to blame the linesman.

However the foul on De Jong he could see perfectly, and I'm mystified how he could have thought that was a foul against De Jong.

I'm not gonna argue but I'm pretty sure it's a handball and you,re right the ref couldn't see it.

My explanation for the DeJong call is the ref didn't have a proper angle to see DeJong winning the ball because it was pretty obvious.

Anyways, I just don't like it when we make excuses for the players with one or 2 bad calls. This was a FK from 30 yards out that wasn't even well striked, this wasn't a PK like Honduras in 2004. So, I,m not sure I would jump in the "we were screwed by the ref" bandwagon ;)

I hate to sound optimistic, but I think some of these young defenders will be very solid in the future!

They'll be improved for sure but will they be strong enough to deal with some of excellent strikers in CONCACAF. Then again, if we get put in a group with El Salvador,Haiti and Surinam who knows how good we'll have to be.

At the same time, all the teams in this region use their climate to their advantage, so fair is fair. Imagine what might have been if the qualifying ran from October to February, or if we got our home games at the end the way Jamaica is doing.

No argument from me, G-L.

The one thing I did get out of this game tonight was DM's belated decision to go 4-4-2. Even considering the circumstances I felt Gerba and Radz seemed to have some chemistry going. I wish we could have seen more tactical flexibility with it in some of the other friendlies prior to the WCQ, most notably the second half of the South Africa match, when we were already down 2-0. Unfortunately, I think Dale has been done in by dogma.

Archived