CSA's Stategic Plan 2009-13 is out!!!

CoachRich

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, compare this strategic plan with the Own the Podium plan created by the Winter Sports orgs. Or look at Ken Read's plan to makeover Alpine Canada. Both of tem set particular goals, quarterly reports, made athletes and org's responsible for success and.. lo and behold ... both have worked.

"We aim to regain the confidence of the Canadian

soccer community by giving our teams the means to

We aim to regain the confidence of the Canadian

soccer community by giving our teams the means to

improve their performances within CONCACAF and

FIFA. We also aim to show that the Association does

what it should do for the development of our sport. within CONCACAF and

FIFA. We also aim to show that the Association does

what it should do for the development of our sport."

What a f_cking joke. "to improve their performances within CONCACAF and

FIFA." With the CSA in change, Canada has PROVEN time and again that we are ****e on any international soccer pitch. The CSA is an embarrashment to every Canadian soccer supporter. Death to all of these incompetent pricks!

quote:Originally posted by ChrisB

You know, compare this strategic plan with the Own the Podium plan created by the Winter Sports orgs. Or look at Ken Read's plan to makeover Alpine Canada. Both of tem set particular goals, quarterly reports, made athletes and org's responsible for success and.. lo and behold ... both have worked.

Ken Read is no longer with Alpine Canada (conflict of interest as his son is on Nat. Team) and last I heard he was consulting. I've said it before somewhere on this forum, but get him in, he's proven that he can attract major sponsorship and create a winning culture.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by soccertaxi

Ken Read is no longer with Alpine Canada (conflict of interest as his son is on Nat. Team) and last I heard he was consulting. I've said it before somewhere on this forum, but get him in, he's proven that he can attract major sponsorship and create a winning culture.

He may be very good, but just to consider... given 2010 and the fact that this kind of stuff is generally on the sponsorship radar already, it might be a lot like me coaching Man United and having a decent season.

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

He may be very good, but just to consider... given 2010 and the fact that this kind of stuff is generally on the sponsorship radar already, it might be a lot like me coaching Man United and having a decent season.

Well, I don't know about that - yes, there is a lot of focus on 201, but Ken Read had to deliver the goods, and he did. He went into Alpine Canada and said that there would be no excuses. If they didn't win it was because of the athletes. And they responded to that. He turned Alpine Canada into a first class organisation where everything that they did was about their athletes and for the results.

For example, let us play a game of compare and contrast:

Canadian skiers have a summer camp set up on a glacier in BC, where they get 4 hours skiing a day in for August and September - they stay in a first class lodge during this period. Even the European teams don't get this much skiing in during the summer.

The Canadian Men's soccer team took a ferry from Florida to Martinique.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by ChrisB

Well, I don't know about that - yes, there is a lot of focus on 201, but Ken Read had to deliver the goods, and he did. He went into Alpine Canada and said that there would be no excuses. If they didn't win it was because of the athletes. And they responded to that. He turned Alpine Canada into a first class organisation where everything that they did was about their athletes and for the results.

For example, let us play a game of compare and contrast:

Canadian skiers have a summer camp set up on a glacier in BC, where they get 4 hours skiing a day in for August and September - they stay in a first class lodge during this period. Even the European teams don't get this much skiing in during the summer.

The Canadian Men's soccer team took a ferry from Florida to Martinique.

I am not saying the guy is bad at all, just that under the circumstances he pretty much got a blank check and the above example pretty much says so.

There are probably less people in that entire program than a single small club in Ontario. We need someone who has gone into an organization, provided uniting leadership and pushed through programs that brought in new sponsorship and the vehicles on which to drive it.

They have to have experience pushing an organization up, not sideways or polishing the brass on something already established.

Again, the guy might be great but I would need to see something more than this because it really is not clear anyone could have failed in that position.

• 2 weeks later...

The OSA web site now has a forum where you can ask questions or comment on the CSA Strategic Plan. This is only open until November 28th. so get your comments or questions in now.

Even if you have already commented on this (the Voyageurs) forum, please take the time to add your comments on the forum at the OSA web site.

Also available is a video of the CSA presentation made at the OSA Annual Meeting.

How about this: we ask these hacks to pull out the old powerpoint slides with all their "goals" on them. From there they can update us on what an excellent job they have done in the past and how they don't just create randon documents which after do nothing but collect dust, but actually follow through on the content. On top of that, the question should be asked how these old goals meaningfully improved the state of the game in this country.

Of course that would probably prove embarassing, silly us for asking.

quote:Originally posted by Bill Spiers

The OSA web site now has a forum where you can ask questions or comment on the CSA Strategic Plan. This is only open until November 28th. so get your comments or questions in now.

Even if you have already commented on this (the Voyageurs) forum, please take the time to add your comments on the forum at the OSA web site.

Also available is a video of the CSA presentation made at the OSA Annual Meeting.

I'm disappointed. Hardly any comments on the OSA forum to this point! The conclusion that some people will draw is that you really don't care!

^ Bill...I have no interest in leaving my comments on an OSA forum, nor do I have any interest in asking the OSA any questions.

The OSA is just as big a part of the problems with Canadian soccer as the CSA. All the other provincial associations are as complicit in the rot at the top as well.

I prefer to pose my questions to the CSA directly and give them my thoughts, which I've done.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

^ Bill...I have no interest in leaving my comments on an OSA forum, nor do I have any interest in asking the OSA any questions.

The OSA is just as big a part of the problems with Canadian soccer as the CSA. All the other provincial associations are as complicit in the rot at the top as well.

I prefer to pose my questions to the CSA directly and give them my thoughts, which I've done.

In my opinion, that's a cop out!

Whether you like the current structure or not - clearly you don't - right now it is the OSA that is in the position of voting at the CSA Special General Meeting on December 6th. on whether or not to approve the Strategic Plan and the proposed fee increase.

We're often accused of not listening to the grass roots and the soccer community at large. In this case we're trying to reach out but ... guess what ... nobody really cares!

Give me a break.

If you are so hard up for questions, transplant a few (as there's no shortage of them here). Nobody is going to your site because it's mainly focused on something the majority of people here have no interest on posting on. On top of that, there was already a topic on this site performing the same type of feature you are providing across the street.

If you can equate nobody posting on your website with a lack of interest, you clearly weren't that interested in listening to what people had to say in the first place or are just oblivious.

Any other communication methods the OSA accept? Shall I send you a hand written note by carrier pigeon?

Whether you like the current structure or not - clearly you don't - right now it is the OSA that is in the position of voting at the CSA Special General Meeting on December 6th. on whether or not to approve the Strategic Plan and the proposed fee increase.

We're often accused of not listening to the grass roots and the soccer community at large. In this case we're trying to reach out but ... guess what ... nobody really cares!

Bill, I think the Oakville rebuttal is all the feedback you really need. Do you think that Oakville was just speaking for itself? If you directors are truly in tune with the wants and needs of YOUR MEMBERSHIP, you will know that the majority of clubs share Oakville's sentiments and do not want this tax increase to pass.

My issue is that I don't believe entirely that the OSA will vote based on the wants / needs of its membership. The OSA board is a highly political group (see decision to reject SAAC). I could easily see the OSA BoD voting for the fee increase, regardless of what the membership wants, in exchange for some other political favors that will be returned down the road. Its not your money we are talking about and somehow I doubt any district president is really all that worried about getting supplanted for voting against their members wishes.

Bill, you can't argue that there is a lot of political intrigue going on behind the scenes these days in OSA-land. Nothing I can or will say on an OSA forum is going to change that. The decision to support (or not support) the CSA tax increase will be a political decision.

So....I decided to do as Bill asked and post comments on the OSA board.

After submitting my first post, I got the message that all submissions will be reviewed by a moderator before being posted.

Sorry, that's not an open forum. That's message management.

I, for one, am not interested in typing out my comments if they will not see the light of day because I might offend the sensibilities of someone at the OSA or CSA.

Bill i have posted some questions / comments lets see if they make to the public eye this time.

PS do you happen to support the Government of Peru or Sepp Blatter over the suspension of the Peru futbol federation, whose president has been disqualified by the government of Peru to hold a position within the federation for failing to...implement constitional changes to allow open and equitable voting within the Peruvian federation.

The government simple asked that rural provinces associations and amateur clubs be given votes to elect the federation .. mmm sounds like Canada...non democratic cabal of mafiosos.

And here was my question on the OSA site answered re voting ..

What of direct club voting for CSA leadership ?

by CSA Guest on Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:43 am

When are we going allow clubs to vote for the CSA leadership in National Annual General Meetings.

Will the CSA accept to follow the laws of Canada in voting for leadership of the corporation, or does the CSA reject government involvement according the the Blatter doctrine as practiced in Peru, where the futbol federaion is no suspended by FIFA over the demand that the Futbol Federation resign as he has been declared ineligble to sit as a Director for violating Peruvian law ?CSA Guest

OSA Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: What of direct club voting for CSA leadership ?

by OSA Forum Moderator on Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:32 pm

CSA Guest wrote:

When are we going allow clubs to vote for the CSA leadership in National Annual General Meetings?

All Members and Clubs participate in elections and soccer governance as follows:

1. Members participate in electing their Club Representatives (e.g. XYZ Soccer Club President/Directors)

2. Club Representatives participate in electing District Representatives (e.g. PHSA -- Peel Halton Soccer Association President/Directors)

3. District Representatives participate in electing Provincial Representatives (e.g. OSA -- The Ontario Soccer Association President/Directors)

4. Provincial Representatives participate in electing National Representatives (i.e. CSA -- The Canadian Soccer Association President/Directors)

5. National Representatives participate in electing International Representatives (i.e. FIFA -- Federation of International Football Associations President/Directors)

Members are able to provide input to influence decision-making at each governance level through their elected Representative(s).

The division of labour between the various levels of responsibility is more practical and efficient than 'plebescites' which involve every Member voting at every level on every issue.

For example, Ontario alone sending Club Representatives from each of the (currently) 770 OSA registered Member Clubs to a CSA AGM would be logistically impractical and inefficient.

Again Bill its clear your process is not looking for change but to protect the current ways and means.

I hope you will come out here and answer one simple question Bill... do you believe in direct club memebership in the CSA with right to vote for the board of the CSA in direct elections at a national AGM.

Yes... or No...

simple black and white answer Bill.

I have received confirmation that the CSA will be hosting some sort of special meeting next weekend (Dec 6-7) in Ottawa, presumably to discuss the Strategic Plan and the apparent lack of support from at least two major provincial associations for the strategic plan and/or the associated $5.00 per head fee increase that comes with it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just passing along what someone else said to me the other day.

"If the CSA really wanted to shake things up, change for the better, improve their image, create or expand on revenue streams, etc., they would hire Paul Beirne away from TFC, bring him on as Director of Marketing, Sales/Promotions. Let him do for the national team programs' and NTCs what he's done and seen for TFC. They should offer him a contract loaded with incentives and provide him with the resources and freedom to to what he did with MLSE and MLS.

It's a tangible starting point.

An outsider, its transparent, he has a track record (scalper thing aside), results would be measurable. No relocation.

Nobody expected what's unfolded with TFC, and the CSA still can't find the TFC wave let alone ride it."

So these past couple of days I've been thinking about this and ya it makes sence.

So I'm just just thinking out loud....

VPjr, you know who I'm talking about. :D

• 3 months later...

Difficult to see the CSA BoD of the organisation as it is taking such radical action frankly. The problem is not who is the top fulltime bureaucrat in the Metcalfe Street HQ or any other paid employee but the very structure and governance of the CSA itself, starting at the top.

However if such an offer ever were to be made to Bierne, if he was interested I would expect him to come back with some pretty sweeping counter demands otherwise he would be doomed to fail in his mission like every other top bureaucrat the CSA has ever hired.

• 4 months later...

Archived