CSA's Stategic Plan 2009-13 is out!!!

CoachRich

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read the whole thing.

1. Yes we can all agree that qualifying for 2014 is now the goal. But THERE IS NOT A SINGLE WORD, OR DIRECT REFERENCE TO THE "MANAGEMENT" OF THE MEN'S NATIONAL TEAM IN THAT ENTIRE DOCUMENT!! There is no admission of mishandling, no statement that they realise that more friendlies, better mangement, better player relations and better elite player development are required. Just a bunch of vague, generalisitic terms.

2. If you look at their breakdown of revenue for 2007, it is absolutely laughable.

A. Canada hosted the most widely attended FIFA WYC in 2007, so where are the millions generated from that....oh wait....

B. Despite having all those games to sell Canadian merchandise at, the CSA managed only $300,000 on merch the WHOLE YEAR!!

C. Even with players like DeGuzman, DeDrosario, Hutchinson, etc... truly attractive marketing quantities, the CSA managed a pathetic $2.3 million in sponsorship.

So here you have combined the two most fatal flaws of the CSA:

1. An absolute inability to properly manage a Men's National Team that has any real hope of qualifying for the World Cup.

2. A complete lack of outwardly reaching business ability. The poor marketing and branding of our national team has stagnated any positive financial growth and immobilised the whole program.

The good news for me is at 20, and currenty playing football and studying Media and Communications in the UK, I feel that I am learning many of the necessary tools to help turn our game around back home. I would truly like to get involved with the CSA at some point, because this document just further speaks to their mediocracy and how much room their really is for improvement.

quote:Originally posted by Most Scottish Man in Cdn.

Granted I only read the summary but it's all pretty vague. And the word "wellness" is just...lame.

The document tries to say the CSA gives services to clubs and districts .. implying its membership is bigger the the ten provcinces and two territories..... that and the failure to highlight the need for a revised constitution doom the document to be no productive.

The key they talk about is more money.. not more money based on success just more money.

sad.

quote:Originally posted by Bxl Boy

WC 2007 is a totally apart budget, so it's not included in the CSA “normal” 2007 budget

CSA isn't responsible of the sponsorship, K.Pipe signed a contract with a marketing company and the CSA can't move before the end of this contract

Ok, fair enough. But we all know that they lost money anyways on the WYC.

As for the marketing company, do you know which one it is, and how the hell they are justifying the absolute disaster of a job they are doing?

Granted with our current approach to hosting home games (aka not doing so) it is tough to get consistant marketing programs developed. But this is where the CSA would need to have that disucssion with the marketing firm and determine the best course of action to help promote our national team within the public interest and private sector financing. And certainly that has been totally misled.

quote:Originally posted by Bxl Boy

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14854

VPjr post ;)

(Answer IMG)

Actually it's a partnership between CSA & IMG in a vehicle called Soccer Canada Properties. See announced below & link.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=1750

Canadian Soccer Association

Friday 13 May 2004

CSA Appoints New Managing Director Of Soccer Canada Properties

Ottawa, Ontario – The Canadian Soccer Association, in partnership with IMG Canada, announced today the appointment of Chris Collie as the Managing Director of Soccer Canada Properties, the marketing arm responsible for the Association’s television distribution, corporate partnerships and promotional exposure.

SCP was listed in the CSA Directory but as of today they are not.

One of SCP's projects this year is here is one of there projects -

http://www.canadasoccer.com/minisoccer/Application%20Package%20June%202008.pdf

I know when CBC interviewed SCP on what headway they were making for a sponsor for the WNT Seniors, the interview was in the offices of the CSA. SCP had no concrete answer & was uncomfortable.

Here is my quick favorite...

Figure 5 - 2007 Expenditures

$4.5 Million on Senior Teams

$1.8 Million on Youth Teams

$1.5 Million on Technical

$0.9 Million on Marketing and Communication

$2.0 Million on National Competitions

$1.9 Million on Administration and Meetings (!!!!)

Base Salary of Beckham:

$5.5 Million!!!

One player in MLS makes more than Canada spends on both MNT and WNT. Some one needs to blackmail Beckham for one years salary to double our NT budget.

I had noticed that as well CoachRich.

It seems like another lofty goal such as: To qualify for WC 2014...with no information on how they plan on doing it.

I admire the ambition gentlemen, but a %500 increase in operating budget requires some explanation:

- yes we know they are rasing regitration fees, which I would imagine at most account for 3-6 mil

- perhaps they plan on actually selling some merchandise, but even a %300 increase only brings that to 1 mil

- maybe CSA/IMG joint-forces have actually gone to a TFC game and witnessed how popular football is and are looking to get some significant advertising revenue going but again a %400 to %600 increase in the revenue stream would be required to obtain their goal

quote:Originally posted by coppercanuck

Figure 5 - 2007 Expenditures

$4.5 Million on Senior Teams

$1.8 Million on Youth Teams

$1.5 Million on Technical

$0.9 Million on Marketing and Communication

$2.0 Million on National Competitions

$1.9 Million on Administration and Meetings (!!!!)

How can this number be

1) higher than $$$ on Youth teams

2) higher than $$$ on Marketing and Communication (2X higher)

3) almost the same as $$$ on National Competitions

???????????????????????????????????

Can someone please detail the "Administration and Meetings (sic)" part of it exactly ???

You know, I'm a new soccer fan compared to all of you vet V's and I don't know exactly what the history of the CSA is and how it's run. I come here cause I want to learn. I'm trying to get involved and I went at SS to cheer for the MNT for both games in MTL (STV & HON). Reading this, with the fact that they have no real plans to achieve their (our) goals for the future, I find it's a hard learning process.

I'm loving more and more soccer, so I'll continue to follow and cheer for the MNT, but c'mon CSA, help people like me who aren't die-hard soccer fans since 50 years to believe in what you're doing. While I'm still learning, I'm gonna teach you one word back: ACCOUNTABILITY ! When a new fan like me go to your games and spend some $$$ to help the cause while you don't even care to market them appropriately, I think it's just normal to expect in return that you spend my part of $$$ on other sectors than "Administration and Meetings".

Yesterday, I asked the CSA to provide a source used in the Strategic Plan & listed in the Bibliography -

Deloitte & Touche Inc. "CSA Organization Review Recommendations", Toronto, 2005.

This is their response -

"The Deloitte/Touche report is not available to the public."

Draw your own conclusions???

Not a good sign when the cover shot of the 2009-2013 strategic plan summary is of a player who should probably retire before 2008 is out.

quote:Originally posted by CoachRich

Another ? I had for the CSA was on the Strategic Plans & Activities documents mentioned in Sec2:18 (24 of 28). Those items are not yet available.

Strategic Activities is another 29 page document that I understand will be available for posting shortly. Keep your eye on the BC Soccer and Ontario Soccer web sites.

Archived