***MLS to Announce Bidders Tomorrow***

Luis_Rancagua

Going to join the herd and say I think Montreal is pretty much guaranteed one of the spots.

They've got the financial backing they'll need. They've got a sporting rivalry with almost all the eastern US markets (plus Chicago and never even mind Toronto). They've got a clutch of players they could bring forward to MLS. They've got a supporting amateur network in place already and one which will do nothing but improve in it's relevance & influence the second the Impact is awarded a franchise. AND they'll have a 20,000 seat stadium ready before their MLS home opener.

A success out of the gate on all fronts. Who could ask for more?

Did I mention they'd bring an almost exotic French/European flavour to MLS? Something no</u> other city in NA can bring.

Course, they could simply be held up as an example of what the MLS Big Heads are looking for from the USA bids. A red herring of sorts meant to raise the bar. Which would be a shame because Vancouver would become that lever in future expansion rounds once Montreal is in. That is if the Whitecaps can get something resembling a stadium off the drawing board.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can somebody tell me what are the reasons to think that St. Louis is a 'soccer hotbed'? Are there a lot of high quality American players coming out of there? Are the youth registrations particularly high? Are the collage soccer teams in the area particularly popular? Do they sell out national team games frequently there?

I'm rather ignorant and was wondering what this was based on.

quote:Originally posted by Saviola7

Can somebody tell me what are the reasons to think that St. Louis is a 'soccer hotbed'? Are there a lot of high quality American players coming out of there? Are the youth registrations particularly high? Are the collage soccer teams in the area particularly popular? Do they sell out national team games frequently there?

I'm rather ignorant and was wondering what this was based on.

Hey meneer,Remember Casius Clay who was at one of these Catholic schools in St Louis,yes you guessed it right Mohamed Ali was a soccer player,floating and stinging like a bee etc.

Archived