BC Place to be renamed "Dupont Field at BC Place"

Bill

BC Place is on the verge of signing a huge sponsorship naming rights contract with Dupont that will rename BC Place "Dupont Field at BC Place".

The deal is supposedly worth $ 100 million over 20 years. Dupont will be supplying many building materials for the new Retractable Roof.

Those that work in the construction industry know how many innovative products Dupont has developed.

The deal apparently hinges on the Whitecaps getting their MLS bid approved. I'm a little less sure of those details.

Dupont will also be supplying a new field for the stadium.

No one has said yet if the Whitecaps will still move into BC Place if their MLS bid is denied.

He's also posted the same drivel as "orangevest" on gamesbids.com, and "nitronuts" on the Canucks board.

DOUCHE.

Claims to be "in the media". Claims to be a colleague of former Sun reporter Frances Bula.

My guess is hes an overzealous journo student at Langara where Frances is currently instructing.

No responsible person "in the media" would go about blowing up unsubstantiated crap like this all over the internet. If there was any truth to it, they'd be writing it up and freelancing it to the dailies for $$$.

But hey, what do I know... I'm just an award winning journalist.

I'm not Orangevest or Nitronuts, but Nitronuts is also Mr. X2 on SkyscraperPage and Orangevest is likely a reincarnation of JLousa on Skyscraperpage.

It may be a good lead. $ 100 million goes a long way to subsidize the cost of that new roof, so it does make financial sense if Dupont wants to under the lights of the MLS.

There's actually a slight amount of truth to this. Tom Mayenknecht was discussing it on his show The Sport Market on the Team 1040 last weekend. It seems that BC Place is in talks with Dupont, since it's quite possible they'll supply the new roof. It's also possible that they'll pick up the naming rights as part of the deal. However, contrary to what Bill is saying, this deal isn't even close to being completed. Mayenknecht was very careful to emphasize that.

Archived