Mitchell will not Resign

Grizzly

This is very bad news and in very poor form by Mitchell. He was hired to qualify us for the World Cup and has failed so he should do the honourable thing and resign. Why would the CSA give him a contract to 2010? There should be an opt-out in the contract if we don't qualify. It is not like Mitchell was wanted as coach by other nations or club teams and had a strong bargaining position.

Canadian coach won't resign in wake of World Cup soccer failure

By Neil Davidson, THE CANADIAN PRESS

Canadian soccer coach Dale Mitchell says he has no plans to step down in the wake of Canada's latest failure to reach the World Cup.

But Mitchell lost the services of another player - at least temporarily - after electing not to summon Dwayne De Rosario for Wednesday's game with Mexico following a discussion with the influential Houston Dynamo attacking midfielder.

"It was a good conversation and I prefer to leave it at that," Mitchell said Monday night from Edmonton.

De Rosario, who missed the last game through suspension, was quoted in a national newspaper Saturday questioning Mitchell's appointment as coach.

Asked if De Rosario will play for him again, Mitchell said he had promised they would speak again after Wednesday's game against Mexico in Edmonton. "I think we'll see where we are then.

"But the conversation I had with him, I felt quite good about and I don't have any personal problems with Dwayne. I think the future is completely open."

The future, at least under Mitchell, does not include disgruntled defender Jim Brennan, who spoke out last week after not being included in the squad. And it doesn't include De Rosario for the Mexico game at least.

Canada fell off the World Cup qualifying road with a 3-1 loss in Honduras on Saturday night. The Canadians (0-3-1) have two games left but have no chance of advancing to the final round of qualifying in the CONCACAF region, which covers North and Central America and the Caribbean.

Mitchell, 50, took over as coach in May 2007 and his contract runs through the 2010 World Cup. He said he had no intention of resigning, but also conceded he had no knowledge of the future.

"I have no idea. I have a contract with a certain amount of time on it. After the qualifying process is done, I imagine I'd speak with the (Canadian Soccer) association about where they see the future."

His record as coach is 3-6-4 with two of the wins coming over St. Vincent & the Grenadines and the other over Martinique.

"We're playing for pride," Mitchell said of the remaining qualifying games against Mexico and Jamaica, in November. "I think there are players here that want to show they want to be part of the future - whatever age they are."

Midfielder Atiba Hutchinson and striker Rob Friend have been allowed to rejoin their clubs in Europe. Called into camp are defender Adrian Serioux, who missed the Honduras game through suspension and Vancouver Whitecaps striker Charles Gbeke.

Given there are two games remaining, Mitchell was reluctant to criticize naysayers or speak out.

"I'd prefer to focus on the guys that are here. Some of them aren't here but they have given a lot to the cause. Frustration can make certain people react in a certain way. Human nature is what it is, and it's part and parcel of the deal at this level. But for the most part I don't have many complaints."

Mitchell also said he was realistic about the resources of the Canadian Soccer Association.

"I know what it is. I know that the CSA has in terms of dollars in the coffers, I believe. And with the number of teams that need to be supported, it's not a lot. It's not enough. But this team has had a good preparation. We've had time together. Obviously we would like to be able to do more, but that to me doesn't affect what has happened here.

"At the end of the day, you've got to go on the field and be able to get the results. And as much as we have a good group right now, a good group of guys, we haven't been able to do that and that's international soccer at the highest level."

Asked if the Canadian team had performed up to potential, Mitchell demurred - saying he was not ready to critique the qualifying round with two games left.

Gbeke, part of a national team camp in January, scored both goals and was named MVP in the Whitecaps' 2-1 win over Puerto Rico in the USL championship game Sunday.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How could the CSA be so stupid to offer Mitchell a contract until 2010? He had no leverage whatsoever. A 1-year contract with 3 option years would have sufficed.

This is going to get a lot uglier before it gets better.

I thought last weeks events were a low point, but I get the feeling there will be a lot more soap opera drama to come.

All I can ask for now is that in Edmonton the fans in the stadium fill a section with large banner .. simply saying SHAME !

Maybe Dale will get it then .. he needs to be gone not to work in soccer for any association in this country, not a region or district or province.. he needs to be sent away.

Any hope I had for the CSA turning things around with this campaign were, of course, terribly naive. They are the same a$$holes running the same old boys network as always. Success is too hard for them, accountability is too honest for them, and they're full of excuses. What a terrible coach and terrible organization. What more can we say really.

"he should do the honourable thing and resign"

Honor amongst thieves? Surely you jest mon ami.

"Why would the CSA give him a contract to 2010? "

For the same reason they do a lot of things. They are amateurs.

"I imagine I'd speak with the (Canadian Soccer) association about where they see the future."

Queue all the jokes about the blind leading the blind.

So we will have DM for another 16-18 months! The CSA will vacillate and will probably announce that DM won't be in charge for the next WCQ cycle but of course they won't fire him. He will get to serve out his contract.

I think the only thing that will get change is if all the top 30-50 players announce a boycott. The Gold Cup and all other CSA sponsored events and publicly state why they choose to do so.

Anything else won't get any attention much less movement. Talk it over amongst yourselves guys. If an announcement comes after the Jamaica game that a huge number of players are refusing to play for the CSA then change will occur. Otherwise we will relive this again in 4 years.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It was a good conversation and I prefer to leave it at that," Mitchell said Monday night from Edmonton.

DM: Hi, this is Dale Mitchell, head coach of the Canadian National Team calling. I was wondering if the man of the house is...

DDR: It's me, Dale. Cut the crap. Look - I'm not playing for you ever again. Period.

DM: Umm, well, okay, right.(nervous laugh) Ok, well, that's fine, Dwayne. That's international soccer at the highest level, when it comes right down to it.

DDR: And another thing - if you rip me in the press I will come and rip you a new asshole. You, here me, man?

DM: Righto. Well, Dwayne, I just wanted to say on behalf of the entire t-

DDR: -dial tone-

I personally dont think this is some accident that happened to the CSA bc they are amateurs. Personally, I believe the CSA knew exactly what they were doing, and are getting exactly what they wanted. To keep everything the status quo.

The CSA hired DM when they did bc they knew if the U20's were a train wreck they couldnt hire him afterwards, which would mean looking for another coach that they didn't want ... meaning more money.

And the CSA gave DM a 4 year contract bc they knew that they couldn't afford to buy him out/fire him, so that would always be an excuse as why they keep him around (at a lower salary than if they were to look for someone else and hire outside the old boys).

The CSA guys aren't stupid, give them credit when they deserve it. They are conniving selfish bastards, but they aren't stupid.

Guest Jeffery S.

This is the same immature attitude at the root of his spiteful boycott of Dani Fernandes: anyone questions his ability and he acts like a tyrant. His not calling DeRo is vindictive and immature.

Dale is a tremendously childish guy, another mark against his soccer IQ.

But I knew that years ago. Are you guys really surprised.

Mitch is done. Right after qualifying. Bye-bye. He and the CSA will part company, Mitch will be paid to stay at home and an interm coach will be appointed at very little expense (ie someone already on the payroll) whilst the CSA goes through a long and careful search for a new MNT coach. It took more than a year to replace Yallop didn't it? Getting rid of Mitch isn't going to cost the CSA jack. Keeping him on is a face saving exercise of sorts. As much as for the BoD as Mitch. And they're about the only ones who think it's working. Pathetic.

I though that the 3 year deal fcor Dale was common knowledge. This is a big reason why they could not replace Dale after the Mexico loss. They MIGHT have been able to afford a new coach on a short term deal but they definitely could not afford a new coach while paying off the old one.

Dale will never make this kind of money in soccer ever again so he's going to ride the gravy train for as long as he can, until his buddies who gave him the original deal (Montagliani et al) show up with a nice fat "go away" payment.

My question is whether the CSA will give him the buyout or if they will just keep him around as a lame duck to see out the Gold Cup.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

My question is whether the CSA will give him the buyout or if they will just keep him around as a lame duck to see out the Gold Cup.

If they do and DM is still in charge I hope the players boycott and publicly state that they would love to play for Canada but not the CSA.

Sacrifice 18 months and one Gold Cup for the future of Canadian soccer at the international level.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I though that the 3 year deal fcor Dale was common knowledge. This is a big reason why they could not replace Dale after the Mexico loss. They MIGHT have been able to afford a new coach on a short term deal but they definitely could not afford a new coach while paying off the old one.

Dale will never make this kind of money in soccer ever again so he's going to ride the gravy train for as long as he can, until his buddies who gave him the original deal (Montagliani et al) show up with a nice fat "go away" payment.

Exactly! I'm sure Dale wants out of there right now but it's not like he's set for life and financially he can't afford to just walk away from the money. He'll stick it out waiting for the CSA to make the first move so they're on the hook to pay him.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

Exactly! I'm sure Dale wants out of there right now but it's not like he's set for life and financially he can't afford to just walk away from the money. He'll stick it out waiting for the CSA to make the first move so they're on the hook to pay him.

Exactly, so what we need to do is make him step down. Go to the Game with signs telling him to step down. Everytime he gets up from the bench, yell at him and let him know what we want him to do.

The only question that comes to mind is "WHY THE FECK NOT"???

Of course, it's quite obvious that no one except a Canadian youth club will want to hire him after his stint as Canada manager (U20 and senior).

Yallop at least had something to fall back on.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

By remaining in his position and continue to do bugger all he is hurting the development of the Canadian soccer he so much pretends to care about. Lenarduzzi, Osieck and Yallop at least were man enough to respect Canadians and stepped down.

Osieck stayed 3 more years after being eliminated in a similar fashion in 2000.

Yallop stayed at least 2 more years after we got eliminated in 2004.

I think only Lenarduzzi stepped down after our elimination in 1997.

Maybe it's time for some outside of the box thinking from the board (i can dream, no?).

Dale Mitchell's contract might specify his pay, but does it require that he run the NT program? does it prevent him from being demoted? Will it protect him in the event they shuffle him somewhere else in the organization?

Steven Hart, still under contract can coach. Dale Mitchell can go file papers somewhere and sit in the corner.

Archived