Another comment about the f&^%#@g Gold Cup and....

hectorj

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Stop the insanity please.

3 World Cup qualifying campaigns. Out in the semi-final round without a single win in each and every one.

We have never won a single, count 'em', one single game that mattered in the last three qualifying rounds. Quit telling me how talented we are, it's embarrassing.

There is no denying our teams talent. There are many problems with this team but talent isn't one of them. Prep, coaching, chemistry... sure, but talent I don't think so, not in this region at least.

So please you stop the insanity.

Sorry, while I believe the CSA needs to be blamed for hiring Mitchell and Mitchell needs blame for being a crappy coach, I am now convinced that our talent isn't as good as we like to believe.

Other than Julian De Guzman, Rob Friend and Daniel Imhoff we don't have any players playing regularly in first tier leagues. The rest of our players play in 2nd or 3rd tier leagues or don't even play at all (Lars and Stalteri are two perfect examples).

Look at other players though Massive. Hutchinson, Radzinski, De Rosario, Klukowski, McKenna are all upper tier players in this region.

Player for player we are one of the best teams in the region. It is unacceptable to be playing Hastings over McKenna or Bernier over Imhof.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

Look at other players though Massive. Hutchinson, Radzinski, De Rosario, Klukowski, McKenna are all upper tier players in this region.

Player for player we are one of the best teams in the region. It is unacceptable to be playing Hastings over McKenna or Bernier over Imhof.

It didn't look like it on the field. Hondurans have much more skills ont he ball than we do and have more players able to create than we have. DeRo, Bernier, Hume have all ben unable to take opportunity in 1 v 1 situation. Only Radz is the only one talented enough to do it and this has nothing to do with the coach.

Our defense is terrible apart from Kluka and maybe Mckenna. We don't have much depth....

Our keeper situation is very weak, Lars looked like an amateur on saturday night and lost all 3 games he played in....didn't really do much better than Onstad finally.

I agree with the others, talent seems to be one of the main problem. It's a more important issue than coaching IMO.

BTW, Bernier played over Imhoff because Imhoff was injured....

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

This is not true, not after watching our performances. Sure, Klukowski and Radzinski have put in inspired performances. I still contend that we overrate our team.

By the way, McKenna is another guy you can add to the list of non-starters for his club team.

This whole campaign has been very depressing! I knew we were in trouble after dropping two points to Jamaica at BMO, something always seems to go wrong for Canada! In this round everything went wrong, from the coaching to the poor performances to the silly yellow cards! I was guilty as the next guy for over rating our collective player talent! I think the Gold Cup got everyones' hopes up, it was a mirage, we just aren't that good! This may be the most talented team we've had but add some poor coaching and being drawn into "The Group of Death" and you have a recipe for failure! We do have more talent and more depth than in the past but it still is not enough!

I'm with you Keegan. At least on player talent. First look at the leagues where players are playing, second look at where these leagues rank. Third look at player stats with in these leagues. All this info is a click or two away. When you add it all up you will see that Canadian players are actualy very close to Honduras in talent. Sure all you have to do is watch most of our players play for their clubs and you will see what I mean. Guys like DeRo, Friend and Hutch seem like different players. I guess it all really comes down to teams, and the CMNT is simply not a very good one.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Jack Warner will not be around next World Cup cycle. Look at him, he's in his 80s. Cruel to say but I'm sure the coach-a-bower is already traveling the road towards his door.

Warner is 65. He'll be around for a while. Blatter is older and he doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon. If there is an opportunity for Canada to get screwed in the seedings we probably will be.

We've got to look forward to something and the Gold Cup is all we've got.

WCQ results:

Position: 6th place out of six team group in final round.

Record: 1 Win; 2 draws; 3 losses

Goals for: 5

Goals against: 20

Ave GF:0.50

Ave GA:2.00

WCQ Wins: CRC, Pan, Cub (2), Els(2)

Position: 3rd place out of four team group in semi final round.

Goals for: 1

Goals against: 8

Ave GF:0.17

Ave GA:1.33

WCQ Wins: Cub, Pan

Position: 4th place out of four team group in semifinal .

Goals for: 4

Ave GF:0.67

Ave GA:1.33

WCQ Wins: Gua, Blz(2)

2008 ( in progress)

Position: 4th place out of four team group in.

Record: 0 Win; 1 draws; 3 losses

Goals for: 4

Ave GF:1.00

Ave GA:2.00

WCQ Wins: ?

If you look at our opponeents and who we beat in WCQ, the total number of wins, the average goals for and against..etc there is no real sign of measured improvement in our results in WCQ over the past four cycles. In fact, the consistentcy over this period is quite astounding. People point to WCQ 98, but that one is illusionary given the luck draw we were handed in the semi final group. And most importantly, we were given a top seed status if I am not mistaken.

But if you look at the GC results over the same period, you would get a totally different picture. One championship and several semi final appearances. Clearly, the Gold Cup is fools gold when it comes to assessing our chances. Sure, its a continental championship, but its obvious that our rivals dont take it seriously. Its a great tournament worth following, there is some good soccer on display and there is nothing wrong with us ( fans and team ) putting our best step forward. But clearly we have to put it into perspective; in the region its WCQ that counts. So, when WCQ starts, we need to wipe the GC from our mind.

By the way you dont see this kind of discrepancy ( between continental championship results and WCQ results) anywhere else in the world . There is no Euro side ( oe CNMEBOL, ASIA, etc) that comes to mind at all who has enjoyed the kind of results that canada has in continental championships and yet put up stats like Canada did ( see above) in WCQ.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

This is not true, not after watching our performances. Sure, Klukowski and Radzinski have put in inspired performances. I still contend that we overrate our team.

I would echo that. Comments like those by Keegan are unsubstantiately. Sure we are all supporters here but if you look at the stats i posted above, are those comments useful or even helpfull? Maybe we would be a better team in WCQ if we played like underdogs. That, I believe, was one of Holger Osieck's strenghts as a coach.

^ I see your point FK and as I've stated before alot of people here get false expectations after decent GC results! We've been down this path too many times, it doesn't happen! The warning signs were there with our poor form in friendlies leading up to WCQ! In saying this, the GC is all we have to look forward to now, so hopefully we can bring in some decent younger players and a new coach to get our hopes up again for 2014! That seems like so far away!

why is it so hard for some people to understand we do not have that much talent in our roster??

I laughed when some members here started saying that we have the best talent after mexico and the usa. Come on guys , its been proven time after time that we are not as good as many want to believe.

Some people here are saying honduras has less talent because they play we local players. I have some news for you , honduras actually has a competitive local league. We DO NOT even have a canadian league , aside from 2-4 teams playing in the usl and mls we really do not have a league. Our teams are not even composed of many canadian players.

In reality our only star in the team is julian de guzman , all the other players are just pretty below average to be playing at a national level.We do not even have many youngsters that can step up and be given a chance to play for the senior team. Our under 20 team finish dead last in the last world cup.

If we had a better coaching we may stand a chance but if you start adding the poor coaching style , poor roster , and poor management m it turns out to be the perfect recipe for disaster.

If anything we should hire a coach that can develop our youth system so we can have a bigger roster to choose from. So far we do not even have young prospects for the next qualifying, and the ones in the team , sorry to say but half the team has no business playing for a competition like the qualifying.

Archived