Anyone watching USL final in Toronto?

Guest speedmonk42

I don't know if this win specifically will improve Canadian soccer, but there are certainly some encouraging signs.

First, Vancouver was a team with a lot of Canadian content in the lineup. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kindel, Clarke, Valente, Nash, Gage, Gbeke, and Sebrango are all Canadian. The emergence of Gage and other young players (Edwini-Bonsu) as important contributors to the USL champions, a league that is proving it is not much below MLS in terms of quality, is another bright spot. The Icelandic coach is a good one and, who knows, by 2011 might have accomplished enough on the club scene and might want another crack at international football.

We have two well run professional clubs in this country, and a third with a massive fan base that with the right people in charge could do even more for the game in Canada. Professional and national team soccer are not the same, but there is a correlation between the development of pro soccer and an improved national side, though with some delay.

Guest speedmonk42

Sebrango is from Cuba. Gbeke Ivory Coast?

But the fact that a 17 year old Canadian played 90 minutes in a cup final is reallye exciting.

Worth noting:

The Whitecaps did not make a single substitution during the championship match.

Five of the starting (and finishing) 11 were born in Canada, playing the full 90.

Jeff Clarke

Martin Nash

Steve Kindel

Alfredo Valente

Ethan Gage

Add in Eddie Sebrango & Charles Gbeke, and it's 7 out of 11.

Gbeke was born in Ivory Coast, raised in Montreal. I think Sebrango has held dual citizenship for decades.

We also cannot ignore the contributions of other Canadians who got us to the final:

Jason Jordan & Geordie Lyall - Vancouver's perennial workhorses, although Lyall suffered a lot of injury time this season.

Mason Trafford - amazing story for this kid... a virtual unknown from North Vancouver who walked into training camp, and asked the club to give him a shot. He's done really well.

Tyler Baldock - what more can I say about this GK? Young kid out of Surrey BC, played his first ever pro game filling in for Jay Nolly after the red card v. Montreal. Subsequently earned a 2-0 shut out in the return leg v. one of the best teams we've ever played.

Many thanks also to our many other American and International players, and a few others who hold dual citizenships with Canada.

I found it strange though...Sebrango wearing the cuban flag as a kilt/skirt/towel over his shorts last night....

He defected from Cuba and now holds Canadian Citizenship, the only reason he has not played for Canada is his 12 or 14 caps for Cuba, which he defected from, and FIFA's little rule that says you cannot Cap for two different countries unless the first country dissolves or ceases to operate as an FA.

quote:Originally posted by Johnnyranger

I found it strange though...Sebrango wearing the cuban flag as a kilt/skirt/towel over his shorts last night....

He defected from Cuba and now holds Canadian Citizenship, the only reason he has not played for Canada is his 12 or 14 caps for Cuba, which he defected from, and FIFA's little rule that says you cannot Cap for two different countries unless the first country dissolves or ceases to operate as an FA.

I wouldn't say playing for Cuba is the only reason he hasn't played for Canada. He is a good USL striker but that doesn't make him (nor Gbeke for that matter) international calibre. Many people really are confusing an immense difference in playing level between USL, MLS and international in calling on different players to be selected. While the Impact's achievements this year are impressive, many of these same players have been given a chance with the MNT and were way out of their league. Indeed most of our MLS stars disappoint when they have to play the higher level of international play. DeRo gets a lot more room and time to do what he wants in MLS than he does for Canada and Onstad and Sutton's mistakes are not punished in MLS the way they are internationally.

quote:Originally posted by Johnnyranger

He seems to have relinked to his Cuban roots. I have heard that he now collects old boots/balls to send back home and went back last year on some soccer charity.

Also for me 'defecting' from Cuba sounds worse than it really is. Its almost the same as any other immigrant leaving their homeland to make a better life for themselves. It just happens that to leave Cuba you have to 'defect'.

Sebrango has been running that boots/balls charity scheme in Cuba for many years now.

And that recent hurricane devastated Cuba recently. I think some of Sebrango's family/relatives had their homes blown down. He's already stated he intends to spend most of the off-season helping to rebuild family houses in Cuba. His heart is in the right place.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

It would be interesting to have an unbiased observer compare the level of play between that game and the Challenge Cup final in Newfoundland today. I suspect most people would be a little surprised.

I wouldnt.

I saw the whole final, and although the CC teams had flashes of brilliance(Great curving free kick, highlight reel, if there were cameras at the stadium)(Perfectly saved free kick, similar shot to the FK goal, curving top corner, with a diving outstretched goalie knocking it away, save of the week if there were cameras.) But aside from thos flashes of professionalism, the majority of the play reeked of amateurism.

No sustained pressure, choppy possession, chippy game..

After I left the CC, I said that it was a game with all the joys of amateur players: passion and determination, with all the negatives: terrible finishing, set up, play making.

I'd say if these are the people we want in the Voyageurs cup next year, we shouldn't add them til they pick their game up.

Every team would tear them apart with a score of at least 3-0. Even TFC.

:)

Archived