CAN - HON Official Game Thread [R]

Sam

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Bxl Boy

I don't know if you noticed at the end of the first half, but Radz was furious, numerous times

And Gerba didn't seem very happy neither

Don't know why, but I think it was on some midfielders because they didn't help pressing

I think they were furious at each other because they simply weren't on the same page. As much as I like Ali taking him off was the right move, as he was having a horrible game. Same with Bernier.

No doubt many will blame everything on Mitchell. He should have been fired one match earlier to see if a change did any good, but it's sadly apparent that we simply weren't good enough. While goal #2 is largely a result of individual brilliance of a Honduran player, goals #1 & #3 were down to players getting beat one on one. That's a matter of talent, nothing more. Same with all those free headers in the box that we missed in the box while they are scoring from 40 yards out. Though having scored in every game I wouldn't say goal scoring is the main problem with this team right now, it's poor defense.

It's probably not going to sink in for a while.

Wow, from a big high to a big low.

I wish I could say the guys played well in this game, but the only area of the game they looked better than Honduras was on their set pieces, and that was thanks to Hume in the 2nd half. Yes, they had some good pressure and possession, but I expect that when a team trails for most the game.

Honduras --- and specifically you Costly and Guevara, the kings of time-wasting and play acting --- enjoy your home cooking as much as you can tonight because you are in for a rude surprise at the office in Kingston.

I'm out of here guys, it was a blast --- enjoy the game in Edmonton and keep up the great work at building the home support. Perhaps I'll see you guys the next time the MNT visits BMO Field (2nd round of 2014 Qualifers, where Jack Warner will somehow put us in a group with the U.S., Brazil and Italy).

Peace

Grooming for the future:

Deguzman, Hutch, Hume, DeJong, Begovic, Wagenaar, Lars, Hainault, Ledgerwodd, Hoillet, Ornoch, Friend?, Johnson, Edgar, Peters?, Simpson, Jakovic, Haber?

Who else?

Wow, when you look at this list, you realize our guys have a long ways to go before they will be truly competitive. Might as well give them some games now. let's start the process.

As for coaching, here's my prediction: Mitchell finishes the campaign. He resigns or is turfed and Hart is named the interim coach until 2011 when a new coach will be named.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Jamaica changed coaches and if we hadn't screwed up tonight they'd be in the hunt legitimately too. They did the right thing, because they understand it matters. And for the CSA, the provincial presidents and their constituencies, it does not matter.

Seconded.

Honduras like most central/south american teams have that tendency to play cheap when the result is in their favour, so they start going to ground and wasting time faking injuries. some people will say its part of the game and we should do the same thing but for me it seems that in Canada we have that hard nosed hockey attitude where its play hard and dont whine, just get back up and play and well i guess i can understand certain people's hatred towards Honduras, albeit in some cases kind of extreme, but to everyone their own opinion.

it just really pisses me off, being a huge soccer fan, that our team does not get any major recognition especially in the media. I was watching the game online one one of the links i saw here, justin.tv and it was the honduran commentators, and every little bit theyd show clips of the crowd doing the wave while play was going on, they showd their goals like 7 times from every possible angle, they would cut off to show a Honduras chance replay while Canada was attacking, the commentators were even screaming OLEEE OLEEE, and HONDURASS HONDURASSS at one point in the second half, im not jealous of Honduras thats for sure, im just jealous of the recognition they get in their country and theyre not even that good of a team, i just wish someone could chance people's mentality around here.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

. While goal #2 is largely a result of individual brilliance of a Honduran player, goals #1 & #3 (was) down to players getting beat one on one. That's a matter of talent, nothing more.

Goal #3 came from a mental lapse. The decision of the fullback/centre back (not entirely sure but I believe it was Stalteri) to keep that ball in while facing the end line when the ball was rolling out of play for a goal kick was inconceivably stupid. Then he was forced to try to clear the ball quickly while spinning under pressure, only to send the ball right up the middle of the pitch, thus creating a good scoring opportunity and forcing Lars into a good save. From the corner, Stalteri then compounded the series of errors by simply allowing the Honduran to walk past him with the ball. Unreal.

EDIT: Sorry for basically posting the same thing twice in the same thread, but it just left me dumbfounded that our "Captain," and thus supposed leader, would have such a massive mental breakdown on such a routine play. The fact that he then proceeded on to committing the calamity of errors that followed just added to the farcical nature of the situation. My mind is boggled.

The final Night in Lord Bobdom, by the number:

Number of Guinnesses purchased: six

Number of palms scraped on my way to gwallace76's place because of my critical misestimation of my new bike's curb-climbing abilities: two

Number of Guinnesses inhaled: two

Number of insults hurled at Dave Mitchell: too many to count

Number of spills on somebody else's carpet: two (you know where to send the cleaning bill!)

Number of litres of Canadian Club inhaled: zero, because I'm too depressed to drink, which I didn't even realise was possible.

Number of years until Canada plays a meaningful soccer game again: oh, god...

quote:Originally posted by maccaliam

Well, Stalteri wasn't happy with giving them that goal scoring chance there by stupidly keeping the ball in play and then sending it straight back up the middle of the pitch, he then decided he would gift them the goal on the ensuing corner by allowing the honduran to meg him and then to walk in alone to pick out a player at the near post. Brilliant.

Far and away the worst player for Canada over the four games.

quote:Originally posted by maccaliam

My mind is boggled.

Well, after being out of town for the weekend I finally watched my recording of this match and I have to say that my mind is boggled as well.

For now, all I'm going to say about this match is that a disturbingly large number of players out there wearing the Maple Leaf are either over-rated, over-the-hill, never-weres, or never-going-to-ever-bes, with the manager falling into the last category.

This WCQ has been a complete clusterf**k!

Archived