Does DM stay if we make the HEX (a "what if")

Paddy

Just a hypothetical question, if we were to do the improbable and make it to the HEX, what then. Would there still be just cause to get rid of DM. I think this board would experience some of its ugliest exchanges ever if this were to happen.

I'd vote for him going as I don't think the damage can be repaired, regardless of results.

If DM gets us to the Hex, then there is no doubt he gets to stick around. You don't turf a guy for succeeding; you axe him for failure. What sort of message would the CSA be sending to future coaches if they nixed a coach that successfully advanced our team to the next round?

The better questions: If DM does not get us to the Hex, WHEN does he get turfed? And when is the next coach appointed? And who do you appoint when the next WCQ campaign is still four years away?

As much as I think he should be fired at any given time if we can rally for three straight wins it's going to be nigh impossible to fire him.

And fair enough. If at this point we make The Hex, warts and all he rightly deserves an opportunity to proove he can take us to Africa.

All that being said if it were down to me he'd have to show me a Hell of a lot more than an ability to make The Hex to keep me from firing his ass in November. I'd be watching him like a hawk.

On the training grounds, in the locker room, and on the pitch matchday. See if he could deal with that.

Say you're on a first date. You've heard that this girl hasn't really had many successful relationships in the past, but she's a friend of a friend, so you give it a shot. The initial introductions go okay. But once you sit down to dinner, you realize it's not going to work. The conversation is awkward, you disagree on some fundamental things -- more or less, you and her just don't get along. You get up from the dinner table, about to say "well, nice meeting you, but I'll be on my way." Suddenly, she pipes up, "I think we should head to this place called The Hex. I can get us in." Now, you've heard all sorts of great things about this place, the most exclusive club in town. You've thought about going there for years. The way that date was going, you didn't see anything good coming of it. But somehow, this girl has an in. Well, of course you go along.

Once inside, you marvel at everything you've been missing. Your eyes start to wander to other girls. Now, because you're a gentleman, you still dance with the one that brung ya, as they say... and as the night goes on -- maybe it's the intoxication of being where you are, who knows -- you start thinking, maybe this girl isn't so bad. Then you catch sight of a door with several big, burly security guards in front of it.

"What's that?" you ask.

"The VIP Room," she says.

"How do you get in there?"

"I don't know. You need to know the right people. Luck, I guess."

"Oh," you say meekly, continuing to spin the night away.

When you wake up, you see her next to you, sound asleep. What the-? How did-? Didn't I hate this girl? Oh well, she did get me into that club. You carefully sneak out the door, convinced you'll never call her again. A few days go by. Then you start to think about that VIP Room. The top of the top. How do you get in there? There were plenty of other girls in that club -- better-looking than your girl, too. Surely some of them knew how to get in. But would they bring you with them? Maybe, maybe not.

You stare at the phone. Do you call her? Hmmm. Well, you've got time. That club's the most popular place around. It's not going anywhere.

quote:Originally posted by squizz

Say you're on a first date. You've heard that this girl hasn't really had many successful relationships in the past, but she's a friend of a friend, so you give it a shot. The initial introductions go okay. But once you sit down to dinner, you realize it's not going to work. The conversation is awkward, you disagree on some fundamental things -- more or less, you and her just don't get along. You get up from the dinner table, about to say "well, nice meeting you, but I'll be on my way." Suddenly, she pipes up, "I think we should head to this place called The Hex. I can get us in." Now, you've heard all sorts of great things about this place, the most exclusive club in town. You've thought about going there for years. The way that date was going, you didn't see anything good coming of it. But somehow, this girl has an in. Well, of course you go along.

Once inside, you marvel at everything you've been missing. Your eyes start to wander to other girls. Now, because you're a gentleman, you still dance with the one that brung ya, as they say... and as the night goes on -- maybe it's the intoxication of being where you are, who knows -- you start thinking, maybe this girl isn't so bad. Then you catch sight of a door with several big, burly security guards in front of it.

"What's that?" you ask.

"The VIP Room," she says.

"How do you get in there?"

"I don't know. You need to know the right people. Luck, I guess."

"Oh," you say meekly, continuing to spin the night away.

When you wake up, you see her next to you, sound asleep. What the-? How did-? Didn't I hate this girl? Oh well, she did get me into that club. You carefully sneak out the door, convinced you'll never call her again. A few days go by. Then you start to think about that VIP Room. The top of the top. How do you get in there? There were plenty of other girls in that club -- better-looking than your girl, too. Surely some of them knew how to get in. But would they bring you with them? Maybe, maybe not.

You stare at the phone. Do you call her? Hmmm. Well, you've got time. That club's the most popular place around. It's not going anywhere.

HAHAHAHA Post of the year!

That was one of the most elaborately constructed extended metaphors I have ever read. Best thing is there is NO conclusion at the end of it. It's just a meandering in the world of false truths, self-deception and partial satisfaction.

Oh wait, how precise.

Great work.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Why can't people put their biases aside?

You know full well if Mitchell pulled off the miracle of getting us to the Hex he would still be the coach.

Perhaps he would still be coach, but would he deserve to be. We are talking about a highly unlikely situation unfolding, a hail marry shot if you will - can DM really take responsibility for one of the greatest comebacks in the history of WCQ if it were to happen?

There has been enough justification to get rid of him by now, so at this point I don't see making the HEX as being a reason to keep him. I think he is minding shop at the moment and little else. I also really doubt the players are even giving him their full attention anymore.

It would be interesting to hear the players perspective if the unlikely happens, would they want to go through another round with DM.

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

Perhaps he would still be coach, but would he deserve to be. We are talking about a highly unlikely situation unfolding, a hail marry shot if you will - can DM really take responsibility for one of the greatest comebacks in the history of WCQ if it were to happen?

There has been enough justification to get rid of him by now, so at this point I don't see making the HEX as being a reason to keep him. I think he is minding shop at the moment and little else. I also really doubt the players are even giving him their full attention anymore.

It would be interesting to hear the players perspective if the unlikely happens, would they want to go through another round with DM.

This is classic Voyageurs rhetoric.

The results in the first 3 games are DM's fault.

If we are to win the last 3 and get to the Hex, it will despite him....

Like you, I think it's almost impossible but it's not revelant to your initial question.

Why can't people put their biases aside?

You know full well if Mitchell pulled off the miracle of getting us to the Hex he would still be the coach.

Probably, but that's a very hypothetical scenario, especially for a coach whose only victories to date against FIFA-sanctioned teams have come against St. VAG.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

This is classic Voyageurs rhetoric.

The results in the first 3 games are DM's fault.

If we are to win the last 3 and get to the Hex, it will despite him....

Like you, I think it's almost impossible but it's not revelant to your initial question.

Well, when taking the first 3 games into consideration I think there is just cause to question what his effectiveness will be in the final 3 (also taking player dissent into consideration) if we happen to pull it out. Has he been holding back his coaching skills, or have we seen the best he can offer. The look on his face during the Montreal game suggests the later to me.

P.S. I love Voyageur rhetoric.

Hey, when it comes down to getting into the Hex, it is all about "love the one you're with" until she either ditches you at the door or gives you a mad case of the Clap. (And if you get into the Hex AND get some STD, then thank your lucky stars AND go see your doctor--there's still a bigger club to get in to.;)

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

Well, when taking the first 3 games into consideration I think there is just cause to question what his effectiveness will be in the final 3 (also taking player dissent into consideration) if we happen to pull it out. Has he been holding back his coaching skills, or have we seen the best he can offer. The look on his face during the Montreal game suggests the later to me.

P.S. I love Voyageur rhetoric.

Like M.A. said, this thread is base on the hypothetical situation that we'll win the last 3 games and qualify. I don't get why we should look at first 3 games if we get to the Hex.

BTW, It seems the players, except Kluka, have all hold back their playing skills as well.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

BTW, It seems the players, except Kluka, have all hold back their playing skills as well.

Even if the players are holding back, it still has to go up the ladder to find out why. Whether right or wrong, the rest of the world gets the coach in its sights in situations like ours. We (or some of us) look elsewhere.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

squizz, why not continue sleeping with her until she catches you with her friend and never speaks to you again? Or at least for as long as she is still getting you into the VIP Room.

At first glance, this looks like a Kobayashi Maru scenario....but it isn't.

The solution is to get both of them to take you into the VIP Room. Let Dale coach the MNT, but bring in Pekerman to develop the Youth system and then take over from Dale, when Pekerman feels he's ready to go. Dale can even stay as his assistant.

This is getting inane.

Mitchell should have been fired after the Mexico game.

But again, if the miracle of us reaching the Hex happens he will stay.

I'm sorry if all his haters can't live with that.

Discussing sports, period, is inane.

Archived