CCL: Joe Public - Montreal Impact [R]

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Danny08

must be goal diff.

The +3 tonight sure doesn't hurt!

Could be head to head though first and that means an Atlante win in the last game would give them first place assuming they beat Joe Public.... of course an Impact win versus Olimpia seals both the quarterfinal and first place...

must be goal diff.

The +3 tonight sure doesn't hurt!

Could be head to head though first and that means an Atlante win in the last game would give them first place assuming they beat Joe Public.... of course an Impact win versus Olimpia seals both the quarterfinal and first place...

quote:Originally posted by Bill Ault

So come be there with us! 10$!

quote:Originally posted by Bill Ault

So come be there with us! 10$!

Guest Jeffery S.

I wonder how the quarter final draw will go down. A pool of 1st place and another Pool of 2nd place and crossovers? Or just one pool of 8 teams

If you look at their site, there is nothing. They will likely come up with some rule at the last minute. The logical thing would be to draw it with the winners in one pool and the seconds in another, giving home advantage 2nd leg to the winners. Or not, the home advantage could be flexible or go depending on the draw (you can have a second batch of home or away balls in the draw).

They might want to: seed teams again and start all over; decide that in quarters no teams from the same country can play each other; fix it for weather considerations (better for Montreal, if they get through, to play 2nd leg later at home anyways, in fact they'll be the only team it seems through with weather considerations, based on current standings). Or just make something up that looks cool, they way they do with Gold Cup draws.

But hell, the format section of the web does not even explain the rules for breaking ties, so how can we expect so much from Concacaf?

Article on the CBC website

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/10/08/impact-joe-public-report.html

By the way, the Wee Elf was saying bold was promoting last nights match like crazy. Good for them I guess but I wonder if the main network or Radio-Canada did any promotion.

It's always surprised me that SportsNet doesn't promote the MNT matches they carry (even if it's just on digital) more aggressively. Little 15 second clips here and there for at least a few days before hand.

Though not mathematically official. Montreal look to be through to the ¼ finals. They have a plus six goal diff. and Olimpia are at an even goal diff. With two games remaining, even if the Impact lose both and Atlante and Olimpia win both of their, the Honduran side would have to make up that huge goal diff in just two games.

Whats interesting is that I have seen no mention of the setup or draw for the knock out stage. Logically, you would think that Montreal would be pitted against a Group D side. Based on the balance of power in Concacaf, those potential second place sides in group D look very beatable consider what Montreal has dealt with so far. So reaching the semis is definitely realistic.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Though not mathematically official. Montreal look to be through to the ¼ finals. They have a plus six goal diff. and Olimpia are at an even goal diff. With two games remaining, even if the Impact lose both and Atlante and Olimpia win both of their, the Honduran side would have to make up that huge goal diff in just two games.

Whats interesting is that I have seen no mention of the setup or draw for the knock out stage. Logically, you would think that Montreal would be pitted against a Group D side. Based on the balance of power in Concacaf, those potential second place sides in group D look very beatable consider what Montreal has dealt with so far. So reaching the semis is definitely realistic.

I'd love to see us eventually face Houston. That would be cool.

quote:Originally posted by MTL_4_LIFE

I thought the same thing. It would be nice to see DeRo. I would really enjoy the game.(If the impact end up playing against Houston.)

Are the quarters and semis home and away aggregates, or straight eliminations?

If two teams are tied on points the following tie-breaker criteria shall be applied, in order, to determine the ranking of teams [1]:

Greater number of points earned in matches between the teams concerned

Greater goal difference in matches between the teams concerned

Greater number of goals scored away from home in matches between the teams concerned

Reapply first three criteria if two or more teams are still tied

Greater goal difference in all group matches

Greater number of goals scored in group matches

Greater number of goals scored away in all group Matches

Drawing of lots

http://www.concacaf.com/graphics/stats-regs/pdf/Regulations%20CONCACAF%20Champions%20Leaguev10.pdf

quote:Originally posted by Keano

I'd love to see us eventually face Houston. That would be cool.

I disagree. I get quite a joy watching a Canadian team kicking ass way south of the Rio Grande!

Come on guys. They aren't through yet. I can see them losing to both Olimpia and Atlante. Those are two great teams and could easily run over Joe Public and if they both win vs. Montreal they are out too.

So Montreal better keep their feet on the ground

I just witnessed a very very strange thing while i was watching the Luis angel firpo (el salvador) and PUMAS (mexico), game that ended 1-1 by the way. around the 86th min a Firpo player gets a straight red for a dangerous tackle, referee clearly shows it to his face yet that player NEVER GOT OFF THE FIELD and so play restarted without no one noticing and it went on for another 2-3 mins before the referee blew his whistle because someone musta realised he was still on, so he runs over to the player, checks his number and makes him walk off the field finally, but doesnt bother replaying the 2-3 mins in injury time so all of the PUMAS team got in the ref's face at the end of the game but nothing serious especially since the riot place was quick to get between the referees

gotta love south america :)

quote:Originally posted by MTLcanada514

If two teams are tied on points the following tie-breaker criteria shall be applied, in order, to determine the ranking of teams [1]:

Greater number of points earned in matches between the teams concerned

Greater goal difference in matches between the teams concerned

Greater number of goals scored away from home in matches between the teams concerned

Reapply first three criteria if two or more teams are still tied

Greater goal difference in all group matches

Greater number of goals scored in group matches

Greater number of goals scored away in all group Matches

Drawing of lots

http://www.concacaf.com/graphics/stats-regs/pdf/Regulations%20CONCACAF%20Champions%20Leaguev10.pdf

C'mon everyone !!! Open your eyes !!!

Given these tiebreaking rules, if Olimpia wins against us by one goal in MTL, it means that we go to the 3rd tiebreaker (Away goals). WE SCORED 2 ON OLIMPIA'S GROUND !!! That means that a 1-0 win by Olimpia at SS is not enough for them to win the tiebreaker ! So in order for them to beat us in the standings, they need to score AT LEAST 2 GOALS. Then, again, if the final score is 2-1 for Olimpia, we then go to the 4th tiebreaker, which is FINALLY the overall goal differential (a department we're leading +6 to 0). Mmmmmm, looks good... [}:)]

Oh, and by the way, after today's matches, the second best overall total for points after Mtl is 7 ! And more: the second best overall goal differential is only +3 ! [8D]

So it's really hard to be down-to-earth given all these facts. ;)

So any killjoy now ?

Think I'm gonna start a new thread in order to spread the good news a little more... Now it's on !

Archived