OFFICIAL Canada/Hond (Oct.11) Prediction Thread

Bertuzzi44

Dare I? I dose.

Canada-2 Honduras-nil

With Honduras looking to drive the nails down on the coffin lid we net a pair on set plays, including a late, late, winner causing me to spill nearly a full beer on everyone around me and within reach.

I t'inks it'll be BIG KEVIN McKENNA with the 1st. Header of course, to tie the match back up and Hutch with the late winner off the foot in the box.

So.. I woke up a little late this morning .. something about the combination of cheap beer, loud music and ..other ... Voyageurs type adventures...

So last night hit the Zona Vida... a collection of bars in about a two block square close to the Canadian Team hotel... seems our boys were early to bed.. so no rumours on that front.

Went into one club.. up the stairs over commercial stores... open air with a roof.. big say 350 people could be in it.. and yes it was packed two big video screens..running a constant pwerpoint presentation .. with Honduras team photos ..etc.. plus fotos of Canada soccer logo etc.... this probably needs to be emphazised it has struck me how weak our "official" presence is.. with a 13 million plus budget .. and the number of staff the CSA has, we should have had a lead person here ... making linkages.. and helping to promote Canada.

Coming out of the club on the street .. there were a couple of fights, shirts off but no real punches .. candy ass stuff really, but interestingly the police in Toyota 4X4 were on the scene in three minutes or less and the people fighting were up in the back.. within two minutes and off .. presumably to jail, there was no protesting once the cops were in place.. and the Sargent had a pretty good "Gerry Barber" throw.. putting the miscreants in the back of the truck.

I was not in colours, last night but talked to a lot of people who approached me ... there was no animosity at all everyone was friendly and we had some good discussions re our team... amazingly enough people here have a vivid memory of Dale Mitchell as a player.. but on a bit of probing they are surprised we are not doing better in the qualifications they see us as having the talent...let hope they are right.

So good night in the clubs .. again everywhere you look posters and banners hyping the game, tickets on sale on the street...lots of the people wearing National jerseys.

This morning I went back out the stadium .. to see the early festa in the gymnasium...probably 2 thousand young people.. they had a folkloric dance competiton .. and lots of loud music. It was fun .. I was in colours... red & white maple leaf nike jacket ( it was raining in the morning ) and a voyageurs tee shirt... lots of smiles of acknowledgement that I was from away...I will come back to edit this and put in some photo links for those who are more visual.

Then out to the Mall stores are busy.. there are sound trucks.. going around .. playing music and hyping the game.. ( well i suspect that is what is going on the speech is too fast.. yet i pick out the gist).

Just cooling now .. before the trip back to the stadium, there is a lot of police at the stadia already ( as of 2pm traffic control and regular police with shotguns, the shock unit should be in place when get back the trucks were there earlier ).

Oh apparently the Canadian Ambassador is coming the game.. I kinda wonder if any of the politicos running for election had the smarts to sent a video .. supporting the team and then putting it on You Tube...geez .. another viral marketing idea for the boys at IMG.

On that point more and more I think the Voyageurs need to just go out and do thinks to get our team a higher profile, I dont think the people at the CSA have the mindset, or skills to know how to do such things at low cost. This is a huge marketing oppourtunity for Canada, our presence this fall with soccer in this market has been significant, and the CSA - IMG, have failed to make any linkages with the Canadian government etc. to help the cause.

Its very fustrating as a taxpayer to see our External Affairs people the commercial attaches and cultural attaches not putting forth any effort save to send the Ambassador and have him sit in a suit.

So there is my political rant for the day.. next time we go through a qualification I hope more Voyageurs will get to travel to see the team play.... Anyone who can possibly do Cancun ... should go.

quote:the Sargent had a pretty good "Gerry Barber" throw..

He once grabbed me by the shoulder and his meat hook hand was so big it felt like I hung a coat over my shoulder.

And that also means you remember the British and the Talisman, Pop Shoppe, those Pepsi cans with two holes in the top, Frank Veteres, Ponderosa, Skateway, Consumers Distributing, Supercycles, KTel, Red Barn, lawn darts, Pepsi shoes, North Star runners :)

Archived