MLS expansion deadline bid (Oct 15). No Montreal

Luis_Rancagua

According to MLS Rumors, Portland has submitted its submission of a formal bid to Major League Soccer (MLS). Vancouver has sent their mayor to MLS headquarter in New York to help the organizing committee in their bid to bring MLS to Vancouver.

The deadline for application is due next week and the league is expected to announce the successful candidate cities in late November or early 2009. With this being said, I was wondering if Montreal is expected to step-up to the plate anytime soon. Is Joey Saputo in or out???

I`ve heard this about Montreal in the MLS last week. Richard Legendre who is the Impact Vice-President was asked by a CKAC guy (Jean-Charles Lajoie, I think) about the Impact jump to the MLS. Legendre said something like "not now".

Montreal won`t join the MLS for 2011. I don`t believe the Vice-President of a soccer club would say this for nothing. It means that you can put Montreal off the board for the expansion to 18 teams. Montreal is not ready.

quote:Originally posted by Blackdude

I`ve heard this about Montreal in the MLS last week. Richard Legendre who is the Impact Vice-President was asked by a CKAC guy (Jean-Charles Lajoie, I think) about the Impact jump to the MLS. Legendre said something like "not now".

Montreal won`t join the MLS for 2011. I don`t believe the Vice-President of a soccer club would say this for nothing. It means that you can put Montreal off the board for the expansion to 18 teams. Montreal is not ready.

Joey wimped out by the sounds of it...If this is the case, then I think he's a fool...Joey Saputo is all talk but no action, and I am very disappointed by his decision.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

Joey wimped out by the sounds of it...If this is the case, then I think he's a fool...Joey Saputo is all talk but no action, and I am very disappointed by his decision.

There was an article today (Oct. 7th) in the "Journal de Montréal" about Joey Saputo and his MLS bid...He is definitely IN! He was talking about how he thought that his and George Gillett's MLS bid might have an advantage over some other US bids because of the credit crisis, He also mentionned that he would not be surprised if there were only 3-4 serious bids (including Montreal's)and not 7 or 8 like mentionned over the course of the summer. People should stop speculating and creating unfounded rumors...

quote:Originally posted by SteveBeau

People should stop speculating and creating unfounded rumors...

Welcome to soccer forums ;).

Edit: Stupid JdM and no online edition worth mentioning. Anyone have more details on (or can scan) the article?

quote:Originally posted by SteveBeau

There was an article today (Oct. 7th) in the "Journal de Montréal" about Joey Saputo and his MLS bid...He is definitely IN! He was talking about how he thought that his and George Gillett's MLS bid might have an advantage over some other US bids because of the credit crisis, He also mentionned that he would not be surprised if there were only 3-4 serious bids (including Montreal's)and not 7 or 8 like mentionned over the course of the summer. People should stop speculating and creating unfounded rumors...

That is a pretty interesting comment!

So bids as it stands would be:

1. Ottawa

2. Portland

3. Vancouver

4. Montreal

5. Saint Louis

6. New York 2

7. Atlanta

8. Las Vegas

I think expansion is going to go something like this:

one of:

Vancouver or Montreal

St. Louis or Portland

Everybody else is realistically in a market MLS has no interest in at this point or are still a bit sketchy on the investment details.

Can someone here please post this latest article with Joey Saputo's interview on the Journal de Montréal...

Not online.

Saputo mentions not going over 30m for expansion and possibly lower. Also mentions TFC can pay back their expansion fee over four years.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Vancouversoccerman

The reports say it could come as early as the MLS Cup (Nov.23), or sometime before the start of next season.

MLS Cup weekend is very typical for these sorts of things, agreed.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Saputo mentions not going over 30m for expansion and possibly lower. Also mentions TFC can pay back their expansion fee over four years.

It comes down to he who pays is in. $30 million even in these times is not going to do it because someone - at least two or three will be willing to pay the asking price.

quote:Originally posted by Bill Ault

It comes down to he who pays is in. $30 million even in these times is not going to do it because someone - at least two or three will be willing to pay the asking price.

Would you think that Saputo is taking a huge gamble by playing this strategy???

Yes. Remember when Ottawa & Tampa got their NHL franchises? Hamilton had a much better bid, state-of-the-art arena (at the time), and an owner with very deep pockets (Ron Joyce of TDL) but tried to low-ball the expansion fee. Tampa and Ottawa did not balk at the expansion fee and, guess what?

These are very cheesy times and that kind of cheese is maybe a smell that Joey does not want. I guess a wait and see attitude and see which way this economic disaster develops. I hope I am wrong.I can't also imagine the US government bailing out MLS clubs ,so they are all on their own.

Maybe he can't raise that money lol.

No because he is too smart for that - it might be a good idea to wait until 2012 or 2013. Why not? See what the economic fall-out brings to the league and things in general - it seems the league wants them and would probably be willing to wait.

^ Won't work - say Vegas and Ottawa put up the 40 and Montreal and Vancouver put up the 30... who are you going to take when you've lost 200 mill plus over the years... I thought so. This isn't about soccer, fans or what is good for the game this is about $$$$.

^ Won't work - say Vegas and Ottawa put up the 40 and Montreal and Vancouver put up the 30... who are you going to take when you've lost 200 mill plus over the years... I thought so. This isn't about soccer, fans or what is good for the game this is about $$$$.

quote:Originally posted by Bill Ault

No because he is too smart for that - it might be a good idea to wait until 2012 or 2013. Why not? See what the economic fall-out brings to the league and things in general - it seems the league wants them and would probably be willing to wait.

There are other negotiation points he could reduce his initial outlay for the franchise fee. US teams are getting millions in stadium for free, he would promise the extra 10 goes to expanding the stadium along with another $$$ of his own money. More seats is more $$ for MLS.

Agree to 30 million stadium upgrades over the next 5 years and pay off the extra 10 million to MLS with the extra ticket sales.

I'm starting to think Joey's not getting in this round if he's going to play hard ball on the franchise fee. The competition's stepping up. Read what you want into this but MLSR got their hands on a bunch of memos and feasibility studies from Portland city hall. One says that Garber has assured Merritt Paulson (Timbers owner) they will get in this round as long as the stadium funding issue is sorted out.

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2008/10/expansion-more-details-emerge-in.html

What are the possibilities that MLS is willing to accept 3 candidacies (Vancouver, Montreal and Portland) all at the same time during the announcement at the end of November 2008??? Would anyone here on Voyageur consider this a reality or nothing but a pipe dream??? The reason why I'm dropping this idea into this debate is because certain people have been circulating this rumor on the Internet.

Look, these are 3 important valuable markets that can not be ignored.

Archived