Can winning the Championship help our MLS chances?

Bill

quote:Originally posted by Bill

Can winning the Championship help our chances of securing the MLS?

Talking about helping the chances, I think reaching the QF of the CL will open way more eyes than just winning the USL title !!! We've done it before, you've done it before, so what ? They're still talking about St-Louis, so...

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

How many times has Rochester won the USL-1 (and other incarnations of the league) title? Has done nothing for them.

Even building a stadium didn't work. I'm not sure about the Rochester market. It did look so up for that team, then it all fell apart. MLS is not the holy ground it should be.

I think winning the USL-1 championship or even just making the final during the same month that the Whitecaps MLS bid will be submitted will have an impact (no pun intended). I also think if the Impact can make it through to the next round of the CCL it will help their cause too.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I think winning the USL-1 championship or even just making the final during the same month that the Whitecaps MLS bid will be submitted will have an impact (no pun intended). I also think if the Impact can make it through to the next round of the CCL it will help their cause too.

I'm not disagreeing but even simply making the group stages of CL helped our bid because it showed we could compete with an MLS team on a fraction of the budget and half home-grown.

I can't see winning a minor league title doing anything for an MLS bid. It's just a minor league title. The CL is something completely different. The MLS could look at that and say, gee thats the kind of publicity we need in MLS.

Didn't mean to suggest it would be the clincher, just that it is another helpful check in the correct column, that's all. Compare with finishing at the bottom of the standings and not making the playoffs, very different feeling!

I can't see winning a minor league title doing anything for an MLS bid. It's just a minor league title.

It is a minor league title from a league that is seriously challenging MLS' claim to be the first division in North America. Just because MLS has major in their title doesn't make them the major league and USL the minor league.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

It is a minor league title from a league that is seriously challenging MLS' claim to be the first division in North America. Just because MLS has major in their title doesn't make them the major league and USL the minor league.

No, what makes the USL minor league is a lot of other things, like last nights decision to hold the final in Vancouver when their rules specify top seed hosts.

Vancouver's last USL title did nothing as far as increasing prestige for the club, I don't see what another title will do. MLS will take the bid that they think is best, and winning USL titles will make not one difference in their minds.

I don't know if it really matters, but I'm sure the MLS will spin it that way if Vancouver does get in. The St Louis Group and their big soccer supporters are always talking about their soccer history, which highlights include a NASL club that lasted ten years and averaged about what the whitecaps do now and some trophies that they won before the war ;)

Guest Jeffery S.

Winning USL is a minor acheivement, a nice one but minor. I would love to be at the final though. It'll be electric.

But of course it will be positive for the bid. You are in the news, you reiterate the idea that you are a serious club with a competitive mentality. It is the SAME club that wants to go up, not like the scenario that we saw in Toronto. Has to be a lot better than missing the playoffs.

Any success in sport reflects positively, for what its worth. Nothing definitive but a help for sure.

No, what makes the USL minor league is a lot of other things, like last nights decision to hold the final in Vancouver when their rules specify top seed hosts.

Yes but I could make a pretty big list of minor league decisions made by MLS like for example forcing TFC to play a game when 9 players are away on international duty. As much as I disagree with Puerto Rico losing the home game for the final it has been one of the few such amateur decisions by the USL this year. I won't deny that MLS is better marketed and it does get better crowds but in terms of playing level it hasn't shown itself to be any more "major" than USL. One should note that in Champions League each USL team alone has more points than all four MLS teams combined.

The Beckham example shows both the marketing genius and failures of the MLS. The strategy of MLS seems to be to sign one or two big names at high cost and surround them by cheap, inferior teammates instead of building the playing level of the league.

The MLS is a disaster, Has the Beckham factor worked?? Well imo, not as long as you still have games played on pitches clearly marked out for Throwball, and no relegation. But North American sports owners are too pig headed to realise that relegation/promotion is a good thing.

No. The only thing that will help them is if they have a better bid than Portland. They have to show that they are that much better in other fields. I was the first one to rip the MLS for giving a team to Toronto because it wouldn`t work.

I really think that either Portland or Vancouver will get one team to create a close rival with Seattle.

Archived