NYRB v. Toronto FC [R]

Loud Mouth Soup

Wow. Not just a win on the road, but a 3-1 win.

This was not the same team of the past few weeks. It seems more than a few finally felt the kick in the ass they've deserved.

Marshall played what may have been his best match this season, save for that fancy 'kick backward' on the cross near the end.

Well taken goals by Barrett. With his extended contract, I'll have some more of those, please.

Pleased for Ibrahim and a well-taken header, as well as Wynne for that awesome side-foot cross on the counter for Barrett's second.

Robinson also played much better tonight, mopping up in front of the back 4 nicely.

Amado disappeared in the second, which was not good.

And Ramon Hernandez the referee was terrible overall.

It was a pretty satisfying game, 3 good goals. your pretty much spot on, Marshall was pretty dominant aerially and composed. it's probably just cause they were ahead for the final half hour but a few too many blind clearances(time to look), I think there passing went down a bit but they were scoring so what are you gonna do?

And Harmse played pretty well but picked up a pointless yellow (ran his mouth)

quote:Originally posted by Juby

It was a pretty satisfying game, 3 good goals. your pretty much spot on, Marshall was pretty dominant aerially and composed. it's probably just cause they were ahead for the final half hour but a few too many blind clearances(time to look), I think there passing went down a bit but they were scoring so what are you gonna do?

And Harmse played pretty well but picked up a pointless yellow (ran his mouth)

... and looked like a rooke defender (which he is) on their goal.

Yes Harmse looked bad on their goal....

Sutton was solid.

Guevara dissapearance might be because he was afraid for his well being after Angel attack on him....how that wasn't a red card??? I love Shep Messing but his defense for Angel on that play was weak...

Good win by TFC.

Huge win for TFC! They are now with striking distance of a playoff spot. Not easy but they can do it. Can they win their remaining games? Beating a division rival takes 3 points away from them as well as giving 3 to TFC. Huge 6 point swing!

Their fate may be in other teams hands but they are showing signs of life.

Toronto at Dallas

Chicago at Toronto

Toronto at San Jose

9 points up for grabs but only 1 game against divisional opponents. Win all 3 and you'll be close or in.

Harmse was at fault on the goal, but still an improvement over Velez overall. He was also better than any member of the New York central defense for that matter, who were fairly brutal and gave us the win, which I'll gladly take.

New York easily could have had two players red-carded in this game. I agree with loyola that Shep Messing's defense of Angel was laughable, particularly his describing it as a "50/50 ball". Since when has a 50/50 ball been when a player has full possession of the ball and the other player comes in completely from behind and raises his studs to the guys thigh? Ironically when the foul first happened I assume Guevara was faking it, since I've seen him do it so many times.

I missed the third goal. Could someone be kind and post some details on how it happened?

Glad to see that TFC still has some spirit left after a few disappointing losses in games where they should have at least earned a point.

What a great game. That was one of the few away games this year that were actually entertaining. They showed great heart and passion last night. A lot of yellow cards, a couple fights and they seemed to be protecting one another (When the guy stepped on Robbo everyone ran over and threw him away). Best of all they finished their chances and didn't have defencive lapses. Man of the Match was Sutton he kept is in the game in the first half and gave up no rebounds.

Just wondering, Why don't James Sharman and Paul James to the broadcastings on the score? I hate listening to the Americans even if its Shep Messing.

I only watched 15 minutes of the match because I fully expected another disappointing effort. I did catch Barrett's first goal. I was impressed with the cool finish but what the hell was the NYRB's Venezuelan defender thinking. Holy boneheaded play batman.

I saw the highlites of the other goals and was shocked to see Marvell make a good angled pass off the dead run. I honestly think that is the first time I've ever seen him do that and was impressed. If his confidence continues to grow and he believes that he's capable of such plays, he really might have a career in Europe ahead of him.

Nice cross by Johann Smith to Ibrahim for the last goal.

In the short while that I watched the game, I was shocked to see the level of energy that TFC were displaying. The level of intensity in so many other games played over the past few weeks pales in comparison.

And Juan Pablo Angel should definitely have received a straight Red for that nasty challenge on Guevara. it was a dirty play by an otherwise clean player. BTW, I can't stand Shep Messing.

It was a good result,and the guys with the chances definately made the most of them. Poor defensive organization and individual play killed NY.

Good effort by TFC but the team completely lacks any consistent means of creating opportunities in the mid-field. Our tactics are very 1980's Series A.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Harmse was at fault on the goal, but still an improvement over Velez overall. He was also better than any member of the New York central defense for that matter, who were fairly brutal and gave us the win, which I'll gladly take.

Harmse looked poor on the goal, and he also let Goldthwaite get clear of him on the free kick in the 20th minute but Sutton made a good save. However I thought he shephered/shielded the ball well a number of times in getting TFC some goal kicks. However, if we are just comparing him to a couple of the other foreigners we have at CB (namely Velez and James), then hell, let the Canadian guy keep playing, though the bar is pretty low.

Though unrelated to this thread, I still don't think he warrants an MNT call up.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Harmse looked poor on the goal, and he also let Goldthwaite get clear of him on the free kick in the 20th minute but Sutton made a good save. However I thought he shephered/shielded the ball well a number of times in getting TFC some goal kicks. However, if we are just comparing him to a couple of the other foreigners we have at CB (namely Velez and James), then hell, let the Canadian guy keep playing, though the bar is pretty low.

Though unrelated to this thread, I still don't think he warrants an MNT call up.

Harmse deserves! So he got beat for pace by Dane Richards in the New York match. Marvell Wynne is the only player on the field who wouldn't get beat for pace by that guy. Harmse was in an unfamiliar role (he played only in mf prior to this match). But based on the last two matches I've watched, he's as good or better a center half than anything we've had there all year. Glad he got the call.

quote:Originally posted by teddym

Harmse deserves! So he got beat for pace by Dane Richards in the New York match. Marvell Wynne is the only player on the field who wouldn't get beat for pace by that guy. Harmse was in an unfamiliar role (he played only in mf prior to this match). But based on the last two matches I've watched, he's as good or better a center half than anything we've had there all year. Glad he got the call.

He didn't get beat for pace: he got beat on positioning, simple as that. And since you have implied that's a lack of familiarity with the position issue, then he doesn't have enough savvy/experience to play the spot at international level, at least not yet.

If the highlighted comment is referring to his competitors at TFC, namely Velez and James, then I would agree. But I'd be looking at a guy like Pizzolitto and his recent CONCACAF Champions' League form ahead of Harmse for an MNT call up (even considering the Impact man's last match against Guatemala four years ago).

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

He didn't get beat for pace: he got beat on positioning, simple as that. And since you have implied that's a lack of familiarity with the position issue, then he doesn't have enough savvy/experience to play the spot at international level, at least not yet.

I just went back to MLS highlights and looked at New York's goal again. It looks to me like Harmse was positioned where he should have been, behind Richards, but was simply too slow to react when Richards took the throw-in, turned and snuck by him. Of course you're probably more expert and know better, that is entirely possible.

quote:If the highlighted comment is referring to his competitors at TFC, namely Velez and James, then I would agree. But I'd be looking at a guy like Pizzolitto and his recent CONCACAF Champions' League form ahead of Harmse for an MNT call up (even considering the Impact man's last match against Guatemala four years ago).

Pizzolitto hell, I would take him and Impact's entire back line over the same old losers we keep sending out there to embarrass us. I am just really fed up with seeing the same results time after time after time, and hearing all the excuse-making.

Bearcat, I have to admit you're right. I looked at the play a third time and Harmse was up too close on Richards. If he's as fast as Wynne he can afford to do that because he can match quickness but as it was he got schooled. If he'd been even two yards back, Richards wouldn't have been able to blow by him like he did and Sutton would have had a clean sheet.

One other thing . . . when I said I'd take Impact's entire back line, I of course mean only the Canadians, obviously. (And Sandro Grande, let's grab him while we're at it!)

Archived